Water in trunk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water in trunk.

I seen that it is wet in my trunk. I Could be asking how to fix It but a Google search brought up a great thread on here that told me almost everything I need to know. It seems that my rear window trim clips are leaking. The only thing I'm a little un sure of is removing the rear window lower chrome trim. I read about loosening a screw to take the clip out. Are the screw heads facing the inside of the truck or do you have to remove the chrome trim to get to the screw heads ? I don't want to do it wrong and break something.

1991 Accord LX .

you get it from the outside, lift up the rubber just below the chrome and you will see the screws.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
      you get it from the outside, lift up the rubber just below the chrome and you will see the screws.
      Thank you very much.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

I have same issue on my latest sedan. What's the fix?

I was thinking it'll be the taillight gaskets but the water appears to be directly in center, rear windshield molding or weatherstripping would likely be the culprit. But to be safe I'll fix both.

How'd you fair DakotaD?
        '93 Bordeaux Red Pearl LX 5MT

Prev CBs:
        -'93 BRP LX 4AT
        -'92 AGP LX 5MT
        -'93 AGP EX 4AT
        10yrs after my first cb, I'm still driving one!

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167530

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

If you use a hair dryer or heat gun on the rubber lip, it will lift out of the way more easily. Back the screw out about 3/8 inch, then push the screw down (this disengages the barbs that hold the clip to the body), while holding the screw down lift up on the trim. Be careful with the clips, they may be fragile with age and it is difficult to remove them from the chrome. I used some self adhesive closed cell foam to make new gaskets for each one.

Other sources for water in the trunk are the taillights (already mentioned), vent opening on the left side, antenna hole, various grommets and bumper clips. even the fuel door opening.
            Last edited by Fleetw00d; 12-16-2014, 11:05 PM.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
              If you use a hair dryer or heat gun on the rubber lip, it will lift out of the way more easily. Back the screw out about 3/8 inch, then push the screw down (this disengages the barbs that hold the clip to the body), while holding the screw down lift up on the trim. Be careful with the clips, they may be fragile with age and it is difficult to remove them from the chrome. I used some self adhesive closed cell foam to make new gaskets for each one.

Other sources for water in the trunk are the taillights (already mentioned), vent opening on the left side, antenna hole, various grommets and bumper clips. even the fuel door opening.
              Thank you for the info. I'm sure the clips are leaking. I can see a wet spot in the middle of the carpet. Not saying that's my only leak but I hope it is.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

I found a picture of the official instructions for removing the clips in another thread last night, but was not able to copy them here; the instructions say to completely remove the screw, then use the screw to push the center of the clip. This is further out than I originally stated.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                  I found a picture of the official instructions for removing the clips in another thread last night, but was not able to copy them here; the instructions say to completely remove the screw, then use the screw to push the center of the clip. This is further out than I originally stated.
                  Thank you for that info.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

Also, instead of buying Honda OEM tail light gaskets, I went to Michaels (craft store) and bought sheets of 6mm thick foam. Hopefully that'll be my fix instead of the window channel plugs, I'll probably do those too, now that I know about it.

But anyways, each sheet is .99 cents and covers 1 tail light 9x12", so you'll need 4 sheets. The material is a little thicker than preferred, 5mm thick is ideal, but does the job.

You just have to be careful and pre-crush the foam along the tail light prior to installation otherwise you'll snap those delicate 8mm bolts which should be tightened with your hand.

You don't even want to use a wrench to tighten those either, given the age of the tailights in most cases are at least 21 yrs old if original and not replaced. I either took a 1/4" 8mm deep socket or a 3/8's 8mm with a 2 inch extension and tightened them all by hand and no more. You will snap them off if you use a wrench, so go easy. I just did mine last night in my 92 LX 4dr and i snapped 2 off using the 1/4" wrench when tightening, but luckily i had water proof/rubberized super glue (loctite) that helped seal them back to the housing and worked.

Total cost was about 8 bucks including the 4 sheets of foam and an Xacto knife i bought to cut them to match the old ones. Oh yeah, use an IKEA cutting board (.99 cents), those can take a beating without damaging your table.

http://www.michaels.com/M10390268.ht...sheet&start=10
                    Last edited by Losiracer2; 12-19-2014, 10:41 PM.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                    X