X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fed up with bogging while driving

good evening fellow tunners

92 manual Ex

I for the past few days have been noticeing a horrible bog down while driving.

I have replaced the EGR and gasket,
    Tried 3 different igniters
    Tried a new distributor
    New wires
    New spark plugs
    New O2
    No check engine light

Sinario
    While driving I will lose all power tac falls to below 1k and I start slowing down (sometimes the car will stall out).... other times it will just lose all power and I can step on the gas and it acts like it's misfireing, It's just getting on my nervrvs
    Idle is great at 750 rpm and you can rev it all you want no problems just driving it is when the fun starts. I can't think of many other places ( other than the ecu) that can make the car do what it does (even tried to reset the car with no luck)

where can I go I have a extra ecu if that's useful i'm not sure

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
    Do it once, do it right.
    Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
    Missing My
    White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
    Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

did you clean the egr passages? as a simple experiment cut a soda can or what have you to make a block off plate (trace the outline of the egr valve) and sandwich it in between and tighten it back down. then take a drive and see if it goes away. I had a horrible miss under cruising load to where it sounded like a subi and i pretty much kept it in 3rd gear to keep the revs up while in town. it was exhaust flooding only one cylinder. I didnt care to fix it and had a blockoff plate laying around, I was reading something on some old guys site and what he described was what i had going on his egr's ports were clogged, anyway once i blocked it was like day and night..so that might be something to test, if it fixes it, get a real plate to sandwich or go about the tedious task of cleaning all that shit out. if not then i dunno

Comment

Alrighty.

So today I took the advice of cutting up a coke can and sandwiching that down under the egr. (I did this and disconnected the EGR all together) this threw a check engine light as I expected but did not help the problem. next I had a extra ECU from a 91 A6 engine so I put that in there and it cleaned the problem up for the test drive about 25 mins... Next start it all came back so I removed the piece of coke can and reconnected the EGR.... It's really hard to diagnose a problem when the check engine light won't even come on.... but when in a once great while I can and it throws the EGR code because I have disconnected it or threw a diffrent vac hose than the one supposed to be for it and the car runs a whole heck of a lot better.....

Not sure why I have this problem (what ever it may be) again really hard to diagnose a problem that's huge to the driver but the ECU wont take it and show me a direction.

Do it once, do it right.
      Missing My
      Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

1) Does your idle dip ?! meaning from 750 down then back to 750 ?! if so then your problem is in the cooling system

2) Not all O2 sensor work even if they fit and have the same plug and don't throw a code. You need the correct O2 sensor.

EGR doesn't bog that much, it is better not to block it.

Comment

Today I had the hose between the two units on the intake bust.... I repaired it and checked for air bubbles which was fine and dandy.

I think I already stated I replaced the computer (which helped the problem a bit)
          but removing the vac line from the EGR did help the problem tremendously.. first starts are a little longer than Ied like (more cranking time than a blip of the starter) the car at start is at 1.5k rpm then dips to 1k real quick then back up it's like a hickup down and back.... when at idle and sitting for a while out of gear it runs at 750 but dips to 550ish and returns to 750..... The coolant system is full and bleed... Is there something else I should be looking into?

Do it once, do it right.
          Missing My
          Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Fuel filter clogged or fuel pump sock is clogged?

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4

Comment

stop replacing and start testing.

what is your fuel pressure, is that before or after the fuel filter? How much vacuum are you pulling at idle, and at 2500 rpm....
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

on it in the morning just spent the day getting some testing tools
                with the EGR un plugged it runs great just a fyi

Do it once, do it right.
                Missing My
                Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

I would change fuel filter first easy quick inexpensive. Then if that doesn't work I would check your Fuel Filter. That happened to mine. I changed the Fuel Filter and Fuel pump, and it ran perfect.

Comment

Not sure how much you have going on at idle (ac and what not) But have you tested the IACV? You could be experiencing a big electrical load and it is not compensating for it.

The other thing, you never mention what your timing is set at. Maybe you could adjust your timing up some. You have a +- 2 degrees.

Just some thoughts.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by schierholz View Post
                      on it in the morning just spent the day getting some testing tools
                      with the EGR un plugged it runs great just a fyi
                      ...then umm that's your problem. EGR ports clogged or imbalanced. OR if it does it at idle to then the EGR valve is stuck open.
                      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Load is just my radio. (I don't have A/c in my Cb)
                        Timming is at 15 degrees
                        Change of engine computer helped the problem
                        Removal of the EGR vac hose lets me drive around no problems
                        At first start it does run at 1k insted of the 1.5k i'm used to
                        Coolant Is bleed
                        Someone before me got rid of the butterfly valve on the intake (on the side the name isn't comming to me)
                        fuel filter does sort of look new but I will give that a shot (couldn't hurt)

Problems only occur after 3-5 mins of driving. I am going through and doing a thorough well as best I can cleaning of the intake.

Tom

Do it once, do it right.
                        Missing My
                        Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Working...
                        X