my contribution to the diy allignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my contribution to the diy allignment

well i wasn't planning on doing this till i tear apart my suspension at the end of april...but i needed this done by sunday so i had to scramble...so here it goes with my sloppy allignment (in a rush) and sloppy write up (lazy):

first...mount whatever rims you're using..so off come the skinny daily drivers on on go my track stuff (this won't effect the allignment...but i say it's better safe than sorry) in my case, my old azenis are now much happier on the 15x7's +35 offset

you want to do this on a level surface...but being it isn't a perfect world, i tried to get it as level as i could..also the tires should be resting on a frictionless surface...grease some alluminum plates or anything to assure the tires aren't sticking to the surface...magazines work fine too...i'll explain why if someone wants to know

also, i put the car on higher ground so i could crawl underneath it to adjust toe

you guys don't need to go this extreme but i put weights in to simulate me sitting in the car..i also got lucky since i already had 1/4 tank of gas as well yay

before adjusting toe, you'll need to adjust ride height and camber...since i'm only doing this for one day at the track before tearing it down again i didn't bother to adjust ride height. I installed a camber kit earlier but took it off because it claimed to allow -1.25 degrees adjustability..but after looking at it it can only give positive adjustments...bastards wasting my time

to check camber, use a bubble gauge and place it vertically with your rim...measure top of rim to gauge and then bottom of rim to gauge...with a little subtraction and the help of soh cah toa you can get your camber reading

*do not measure from tire as it is inaccurate*

now for toe, you're gonna make a string go along parallel with the center of your car

how do you make it parallel? measure from the CENTER of the rear and front rims...keep in mind the track of the front and rear of the car is usually different. In my case the front had a wider track by .5 inches...so make adjustments accordingly.

to measure toe, measure from the back of the rim to string..then the front of the rim to string...subtract the numbers and you'll get toe...then adjust it accordingly

now i don't have to let some little punk racer who says i should run 17's cus 15's are too small touching my car...when loosening the lock nuts on my tie rod and lower control arm they were frozen..go figure....bastard

i ended up running 1/8 toe out front and 1/16 toe out rear...getting the toe to zero should be alot easier
    For Sale:
    itr mid pipe = $80 + shiping
    tr injen sri $80 + shipping

(2) Eibach ERS 600x2.5x600 = $80shipped in US

sweet now I don't have to waste $70 for an job that I can do it myself.

thx very much

-Henry

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

Yeah, thanks much, will be doing this when im bored. I think toe is out just a tiny bit on passenger side.

Comment

nice write up and very creative... but it doesnt seem like an accurate way to adjust. i dont think halfassing an alignment is the way to go. id prefer paying for it and getting it done right.

Comment

Good writeup. I wonder if it really works well

Comment

well the allignment is only as accurate as how well you measure everything

i'm not the one who made this method...it's been used for years..especially in the racing field...i just researched how everyone did their allignments at the track..some people make a box but i didn't find it necessary to

people have done the string allignment and gotten it to within a millimeter after checking it using a computer allignment so i say it's accurate...as long as you're careful
            For Sale:

Comment

this is also another way you can do it...it's the same concept
              For Sale:

Comment

hey man nice sc300, is it yours?

Comment

Originally posted by kings_blend
                  hey man nice sc300, is it yours?
                  nah it's my bro's...dropped on espelir springs
                  For Sale:

Comment

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                    there is another tool you can buy for quick alignments, but thing is, you will not get it right 99% of the time, hell, i won money off of a long time SCCA member when he took this bet (computer could outdo any human calculations)

you can't get it perfect without the aid of lasers.....when human error is involved, there is error.......most guys that i knew would do this had me or my dad double check on the computer once per month.....we had a deal, if they were within specs, we wouldn't charge, if they just needed the toe adjusted, we'd only charge $20, if they needed anything else, full price.....toe was usually off and sometimes camber......but they kind of RESET it each month so that they could do their thing reliably at the track
                    i don't need my allignment to be computer accurate...toe is constantly changing anyways...but that's just me =)
                    For Sale:

Comment

alignments really are not that hard. I havent gone to a computer or even measured anything the past two times... I just feel how the car pulls, fix it. So far, its been pretty accurate, and tires wear just fine. I think I knocked the toe out messin around autocrossing today, so i'll be using the string method whenever I get a chance. Guess I kinda need to do it b4 I drive to the meet.

Comment

maybe im an idiot, but i dont see HOW u did it...like how are you supposed to adjust things etc...

What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

adjustments can be seen in the helms manual =)

towards the back of the front rims, you'll see a treaded tie rod with a lock nut...unlock the nut and adjust the tie rod

the rear is adjusted by a bolt in the front lower control arm...can't really describe it but it's in the helms as well..i'll try to get a pick
                          For Sale:

Comment

Nice write up for a quick temporary fix. At lease you can drive your car to the alignment shop without tires squealing!

Comment

Working...
                            X