Engine won't turn; flywheel/clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine won't turn; flywheel/clutch?

Wow, long time no post...long story short, I got out of modding. Too much money and not enough time.

On to the problem that I have. When I try to turn the engine over, it won't. The starter is new (thought it was the problem but not so much), so that isn't the issue and neither is the battery (had it charged recently). I can hear the starter turning and I THINK it's just not engaging with the flywheel. The noise I'm getting is pretty high pitched, like something's not catching and the starter is just spinning. For what it's worth, I know that the t/o bearing on my clutch was getting PRETTY bad and had been for a while (dunno if that means much).

This ever happened to anyone? Any suggestions on what to check?

Thanks guys.

PTAC (Poor Tuner's Accord Club) - #05

2003-2006 - '91 Accord EX 2dr 5spd "Macy" R.I.P
    2006-20?? - '99 Grand Am SE 4dr Auto "NoName"

solenoid is bad.was you old starter doing the same and thats why you replaced or did this happen on a relatively new starter?

ILBB
    People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
    The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Replace the complete starter. It just sounds like a blender or something spinning at high speed right?

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

check your flywheel also. Take a look at the teeth where you set the timing. The flywheel could be broken around the crankshaft. I had a ford automatic that I replaced 3 different starters and it was the flexplat that was cracked and not starting the car.

Try to turn the engine by hand on the crank. See if you can actually turn the motor over. If not your engine maybe seized.

Comment

Well, new info. We looked through the hole on the engine where you would shine a timing light and could see the flywheel. The starter IS turning the flywheel. To add to the drama, the flywheel seems to also be turning the engine! We looked in an empty spark plug tube and could see movement

Current Symptoms:

Engine will not turn over
          Car can't be push started/clutch popped down a hill (tried it a few times in the lowest gear we could)
          The starter bendix is popping out to engage the flywheel and the flywheel turns.
          The pistons seem to be moving up and down
          The engine seems to be getting gas (we can at least smell it easily)
          The spark plugs are getting a good spark (all pretty and blue)

I've talked to a few friends up here and they seems to think that the timing might have gotten thrown off pretty badly. We tried to test compression just by putting a hand on an open spark plug tube and didn't get very good results at all, but that's just our ghetto way of testing it.

If you guys have any more ideas, shoot them my way. I'm probably gonna check the timing belt tomorrow and look for some weak teeth on it. Thanks for the help and suggestions so far!

PTAC (Poor Tuner's Accord Club) - #05

2003-2006 - '91 Accord EX 2dr 5spd "Macy" R.I.P
          2006-20?? - '99 Grand Am SE 4dr Auto "NoName"

Comment

What were your compression results? Did you do a dry or wet test.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

You keep saying your engine wont turn over but if you did a compression test that means the engine is turning and moving all the pistions.

So....It is called "your engine won't start". If your engine was not turning over to me it means the engine is seized.

I say also check timing belt. Then maybe take the valve cover off and check the head to see if any damage or parts not working properly.

Comment

does it ever start? is this just a new occurence? like when it got warm out? could be the main relay.
                -Mark-
                CB7
                CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

what do you mean empty spark plug tube and what exactly did you see?take the oil cap of and see if the camshaft is turning.sound like a tbelt to me.Did this happen while driving or did it not start out of the blue?

ILBB
                  People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
                  The world needs to be reset.

Comment

Working...
                  X