how do i test piston rings? Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i test piston rings? Help

so i got the head off my car and i want to know how to test the piston rings to make sure they seal good.I was thinking about just pouring oil in the cylinders and seeing if the pistons held up.

Put the cylinder head back on and perform compression test or leak down test.
    Dry first.
    Then wet with a little oil in the bore.

If the results are better with wet, you have issues with rings and/or bore.

----------------------
    Or, perform complete overhaul of the engine from this point on.
    Last edited by oyajicool; 02-04-2013, 05:22 PM.
    A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
      Put the cylinder head back on and perform compression test or leak down test.
      Dry first.
      Then wet with a little oil in the bore.

If the results are better with wet, you have issues with rings and/or bore.
      i took the head off because the valves were bent and i had 0 compression in all cylinders except #3 so i want to test the rings so i can decide if i want to just replace the head or the whole engine

Comment

I know a guy who removed pistons and rods from a block still in the car. And he re-ringed after hone job. It was a Toyota engine.
        A&P-IA

Comment

I know a guy who removed pistons and rods from a block still in the car. And he re-ringed after hone job. It was a Toyota engine.
          and how does this help me?lol

Comment

Originally posted by rexjr919 View Post
            If you have the head off, taking out the pistons to replace the rings isn't a whole lot more work. Honing the cylinders with the engine in the bay is a bit precarious, but he's telling you it can be done. It beats buying a new engine...

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
              If you have the head off, taking out the pistons to replace the rings isn't a whole lot more work. Honing the cylinders with the engine in the bay is a bit precarious, but he's telling you it can be done. It beats buying a new engine...
              im tight on funds nd thinking about replacing just the head or the whole engine if i replace the piston rings i might as well just get another engine for it

Comment

im tight on funds nd thinking about replacing just the head or the whole engine if i replace the piston rings i might as well just get another engine for it
                I don't follow how that makes sense if you're tight on funds. Are you talking about a new (rebuilt) engine, or a used engine?

Comment

If you don't get the hint, I have no business trying helping you.
                  And, you have no business playing with the engine if you ask me.
                  A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
                    I don't follow how that makes sense if you're tight on funds. Are you talking about a new (rebuilt) engine, or a used engine?
                    Junk yard engine

Comment

If you don't get the hint, I have no business trying helping you.
                      And, you have no business playing with the engine if you ask me.
                      Alright then

Comment

Junk yard engine
                        Getting a junk yard engine may require you to have more funds than you have readily available. Junkyard engines are a hit and miss, it could be in good shape, or need just as much, if not more work than you're currently needing.
                        92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
                        2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
                        2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Originally posted by dysfunk View Post
                          Getting a junk yard engine may require you to have more funds than you have readily available. Junkyard engines are a hit and miss, it could be in good shape, or need just as much, if not more work than you're currently needing.
                          yeah i know, i just dont want to buy a rebuilt head and slap it on a car with seized piston rings, when i get the jy engine it comes with like a 2 month warranty plus ill put a new timing belt and water pump nd of course other misc things that always come up

Comment

Let me know what you're plans for the old block/head are!

Comment

If your rings were completely shot, you would've known it before when the car ran.

Testing rings, I prefer a leakdown test. Usually you can hear a hissing noise in the dipstick while the cylinder is under pressure if the rings are bad.

Personally I would put a head on it and go if funds are tight.

Just sayin, engine can have really worn rings before completely failing. If they were on their way out, you'd have probably known it.
                              Originally posted by wed3k
                              im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Working...
                              X