Mini blinds angel eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini blinds angel eyes

I saw the angel eye DIY that used mini blind rods, so I figured I'd try it out. The circular angel eyes are getting kinda played out, imo, so I wanted to try something else. Also, circular angel eyes that weren't wrapped around projectors seemed kinda stupid.

Instead, I molded a rod to the curvature of the headlight lens. I messed up a bunch of rods but finally got it kinda close to how I wanted it. I stuck two 18000 MCD / 15 degree white LEDs in, used reflective tape on the back, and forgot to seal off the backs of the LEDs.

Ignore the alligator clips.

I was going to have two L-shapes. Looking at the headlight pictured, the lower L was going to run from the top right corner, around the bottom of the headlight, and stop 2" or 3" short of the lower left corner. The upper L would run from the lower left corner, around the top of the headlight, and stop 2" or 3" short of the upper right corner.

The problem I'm having is that the middle of the rod, the furthest point from the two LEDs, is drastically darker than the parts closer to the LEDs. Doesn't look good.

Now I'm thinking of using something like 1/4" plexiglass, and mounting the LEDs such that they point directly out of the headlight. I'll get maybe 8 or 9 LEDs and line the bottom of the headlight with them.

I'm hoping for something similar to the new Audi headlight design. We'll see how it goes, I'm hoping to pick up a couple pieces of plexiglass from Solter Plastics next week.

looks killer, i did this when i had projectors, turned out good, but i have stock blackhoused now, i like your idea, keep us updates, get pics with those on your car.

Comment

Wow nice job dude.. looks killer.. I was thinking of doing something to that degree but make it a bit smaller and hook them up to the turn signals
      R.I.P Mulberry Red Pearl 90'ex
      SASKCB7 Tuner

Searching for a CB7, within 1000m of me

Comment

Classy man! I like it alot!
        Lets see some more pix?

Comment

hah comments much appreciated. Actually, Dr.x, that gives me an idea. Maybe I should try to connect the rod into the turn signal. I wouldn't mind some one-pieces right about now.

I'll try some more today since I've got some time on my hands. I've gotta figure out how to make the light more even along the length of the rod.

If I just increase the brightness on the LEDs, then the middle of the rod gets brighter, but the ends get even brighter, and the light distribution ends up just as uneven.

Along the backside of the rod are notches cut about 2 mm deep to refract the light out of the rod. I'm thinking maybe if I made the cuts deeper in the dim, middle part of the rod, the light would refract more distinctly. Then, near the outer, brighter parts, I'd cut the rod less deeply to try to refract less light. Not sure if it'll work, but it might be worth a shot.

The only other option i can think of right now is to shorten the lower length of the rod, so that there isn't a portion of rod so far away from the LEDs.

Open to suggestions/comments/insults/threats.

Comment

I made the rod shorter, but the middle part is not any brighter. It's hard to tell in pictures, but I'll paste some in anyway.

They don't look quite that bright in reality. It's a pretty overcast day today, so they look a little brighter in the pictures than in real life. The part of the rod furthest from the two LEDs (near the 90 degree bend) is still pretty dim.

If you look at the pictures, it's the only part of the rod where you can actually pick out individual cuts on the rod. Not quite good enough. I think I'll try making different depth cuts next.

For now, I'm going to grab lunch and watch Germany vs Austria. More later today, hopefully.

Comment

Open to comments/insults/threats huH?
              Well I threaten that if you get this to work, that I will steal the idea and modify it in some way lol.

Comment

Add a Led.. Im assuming the problem is because of the shape. Light doesnt bend well in a straight line. Maybe add a led in the middle or at the curve.. it wont be perfect but it should cover most of the rod with some spots inbetween maybe a little lighter but i dont think it would be noticable from others unless they were looking at it really close.

What mds ( i think that what it is) rating are the Led's? Try 18000.. its hella bright , of course you might have to change some of the parts to accommodate a stronger led.. but I havent done this stuff in forever so i forget
                Last edited by Dr.x; 06-17-2008, 06:15 PM.
                R.I.P Mulberry Red Pearl 90'ex
                SASKCB7 Tuner

Searching for a CB7, within 1000m of me

Comment

i actually tried the exact same thing in my JDM headlights - i used a single rod that reached across the lower edge of the entire headlight, and an LED on either end - i wasnt 100% happy with the results to end up doing them for real, but its a cool idea to pursue and try. i planned to use it as a blinker.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

In the case that light doesnt travel very well in staight lines....could you try to curve the rod a little. like as much as an analog televisions screen does. just slightly. and not the flat screens. would this be enough curve to let the light bounce? see if you can try to bend it by hand while the led's are turned on. just an idea. probly wont work. PEACE

MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

damn.....lets see some pics at night..

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

how about having 2 runs one on each end, joining in the middle. that way you have less draw. Don't know if that's causing any problems for you.

I like the idea of retrofitting this for turn indicators!

Comment

Now this is something I don't see everyday

Comment

very creative. good job. i wanted angel eyes for the longest but on our cb7's JDM ftw!
                            frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.x View Post
                              Add a Led.. Im assuming the problem is because of the shape. Light doesnt bend well in a straight line. Maybe add a led in the middle or at the curve.. it wont be perfect but it should cover most of the rod with some spots inbetween maybe a little lighter but i dont think it would be noticable from others unless they were looking at it really close.

What mds ( i think that what it is) rating are the Led's? Try 18000.. its hella bright , of course you might have to change some of the parts to accommodate a stronger led.. but I havent done this stuff in forever so i forget
                              Yeah, the curve is really what's screwing me up. What you can't see in the picture is that in order to have the rod fit flush with the face of the headlight, the rod has to bend outwards. If you take a look at your headlight, the bottom of the lens, closest to the bumper, curves between the grill and the blinker. Not only is it hard to make that curve, but its hard to get light to go around it and still hit the notches cut into the inside of that curve.

If I added a second LED somewhere in the middle of the rod, I'd probably have to cover it. An uncovered LED in the rod will stick out, just because its so much bright than the rest of the rod. Then, if I covered the LED placed in the middle of the rod, there would be a dark spot where the heat shrink hides the LED.

Also, they are 18000 mcd LEDs. They're ridiculously bright, I'm very pleased. But then they're also like a buck a pop.

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                              i actually tried the exact same thing in my JDM headlights - i used a single rod that reached across the lower edge of the entire headlight, and an LED on either end - i wasnt 100% happy with the results to end up doing them for real, but its a cool idea to pursue and try. i planned to use it as a blinker.

LOL I should've guess you'd already tried it. I'm just messing around with it right now, I'm not terribly hopeful of the outcome. Btw, I'm using LEDs from superbrightleds.com, after reading your LED gauge cluster conversion thread.

Originally posted by LowNknoxville View Post
                              In the case that light doesnt travel very well in staight lines....could you try to curve the rod a little. like as much as an analog televisions screen does. just slightly. and not the flat screens. would this be enough curve to let the light bounce? see if you can try to bend it by hand while the led's are turned on. just an idea. probly wont work. PEACE

I'll give it a try. The rod already has a curve to it, and I'm not too sure how much I want to stray from that curve. But yeah, I'll try. Can't hurt, right?

Originally posted by CB7_ACCORD View Post
                              damn.....lets see some pics at night..
                              haha I gotta get them perfect before making two of them and then putting them on my car. The headlight pictured is just a headlight I grabbed a j-yard. I'll definitely continue posting pics though.

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
                              how about having 2 runs one on each end, joining in the middle. that way you have less draw. Don't know if that's causing any problems for you.

I like the idea of retrofitting this for turn indicators!

I think I understand what you're suggesting, have two lengths of rods, each with their own LED? The problem is that having the LED exposed makes for a really bright spot. But if I cover up the LED, I'll have a spot on the rod, in the middle of the curve, that doesn't light up. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting you, haha.

Originally posted by usdm/accord View Post
                              Now this is something I don't see everyday
                              Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
                              very creative. good job. i wanted angel eyes for the longest but on our cb7's JDM ftw!
                              thanks for the comments!

Actually, maybe I could add a second LED, like Dr.x was suggesting... I have a thought for it, I'll try it out later. In the meantime, I've picked up a sheet of 1/4" acrylic. I've got some ideas with the acrylic too, I'm not sure which to pursue right now. I think I'm going to mess with the acrylic for now. Update with pictures later today, hopefully.
                              Last edited by TheNextEpisode; 06-18-2008, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X