Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Changing f22 to h22 tranny on a h22 turbo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing f22 to h22 tranny on a h22 turbo.

i have a h22 turbo with a f22 tranny.. ill be soon changing it to h22 tranny.. do i need a retune because of the short gearing the h22 has or it doesn't really matter..

Thank you
    My signature works perfectly fine.

Transmission only transmits the power to the wheels. It doesn't affect the engine tune at all, but why are you switching to shorter gears with a turbo set up?

Comment

because the gears are way to long and i had this setup for about 3+ years i also wanted a full h22 setup and see what its like.

i know the f22 is good for highway or to go over 280km/h but honestly i will never go that fast..
      My signature works perfectly fine.

Comment

Originally posted by psycobone View Post
        because the gears are way to long and i had this setup for about 3+ years i also wanted a full h22 setup and see what its like.

i know the f22 is good for highway or to go over 280km/h but honestly i will never go that fast..
        Longer gears give the turbo more time to spool...

In my opinion, if you are aiming for anything or have above 300WHP. There is no need for an H22 transmission.

Comment

H23 might be a better option, not as short as the H22 if im not mistaken

But i agree the h22 trans isnt ideal for boost

8 Accords so far:
          '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
          '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
          (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

You could always just swap a 4.266:1 final drive gear into your Accord transmission.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Misleading information.
              Who tuned you now and on what software?
              Certain tuning software gives you the ability to boost by gear.
              Which honestly is the most affective way to tune for boost.

But yes your gearing changes quite a few things depending on what level
              You are at. I.e., drag racing, street racing or just having fun.
              It all is in what you want.

As far as trans I am building an H22
              Trans for boost with an F22 final drive and LSD but I am setting
              Up for 1/4 mile with slicks.
              So just think a out what your trying to do with the car.
              That will help a lot.
              MadLab Racing
              Southern Maryland

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^
                smart man. running an h22 trans with a f22 final drive allow you to stay in your power band while running a taller gear, ie giving a higher load allowing the turbo to spool properly and make use of it's torque. shorter final drives are for more torque multiplication. you dont need that much with a f/h series boost because most of the time it makes just as much torque as hp, lol. the perfect trans for boost in my opinion is a jdm M2A4 with a accord oem 4.062 final drive, syncrotech carbon master kit and a LSD of your choice(i prefer mfactory for the $).

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

By what logic are you claiming that a short-geared transmission with a taller final drive is better than a longer-geared transmission with a short final drive? For a boost application below 8psi the M2F4/M2A4/M2Y4/M2B4 may be ideal as it builds boost instantly and doesn't need to remain in the gear much longer than necessary. For a boost setup like NWAccord's you'd be crazy to want short gears. But you're saying that there is one particular ideal setup for those applications with boost. That's uninformed or ignorant. Honda has many different ratios for these F/H-series transmissions because they all had different performance goals. The same can be said for boost applications. Maybe some people would benefit from a H2U5 because they need all the gearing they can get. Others may need the H2U5 with a 4.266 final drive because it offers a marked and linear improvement in the acceleration in every gear. And someone else may be better suited with an M2S4 with an Accord final drive in their autocross GT35R setup. To say there's one ideal transmission combination when turbo setups vary so widely seems a little short-sighted to me.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

actually if you did you're home work you would understand that the gearing determines how broad of a rpm range you stay in and final drive determines how long you stay in that gear, ie the final torque multiplication ratio. what you're referring to as a "longer gear" can be determined with the final drive. and did you ever wonder why the pro cars run h/f2b with type r gear boxes with 4.05 final drives on 600whp+ cars, hmm good question. and who the hell runs a gt35r on an autocross cb7 whether its an h or a f series. on top of that almost all transmissions are linear, thats the point of a transmission in the first place. man it sure seems to me that you are quite "uninformed and ignorant".

Comment

hey bro people are here to learn, he never knocked ya...
                      so you two keep this at a discussable level or this threads gunna turn to poop. thanks for making my "daddy" side and old man side come out.

on a different level, and nobody here is a professional, we all have our own gathered thoughts. But to me it would seem you want the short gears to get you to that 3rd or 4th gear where you can most effectively use the power band. with that said why not use the f22 transmisison 3rd 4th and 5th also?
                      And yes I know if you want to use 5th gear F22 in a h22 transmission you have to do some grinding work to fit the case.
                      MadLab Racing
                      Southern Maryland

Comment

i concur sir. my apologies for the rant. "misinformed & ignorant" are my trigger words, lol.

Comment

Ignorant is not an insulting word by nature. It's root word is ignore which would mean you're ignoring certain elements of an argument.

I fully understand transmission gearing. My qualm is that you seem to feel that there is one perfect combination across the board for cars with a turbo setup. But the acceleration characteristics of the engines themselves are so drastically different from an F20B to and F23A1. Then there are all of the variables from turbo sizes and boost levels. Then factor in the intended use and there are just too many variables to definitively say that "because the function of a final drive is some definition: x, this particular combination of transmissions y and z is ideal."

Use Zealautowerk's transmission calculator and select the M2F4 and edit the final drive to show the 4.062 final drive and then compare it to the H2U5 or the stock M2F4. It's just a shift in the "band" in the acceleration graph. The degree to which you'd want that "band" shifted would be determined by the individual's particular combination of variables, not the prevailing theory of a final drive.

Comment

now take any dyno gragh put it against the m2a4 with a 4.062 and then a m2j5 or the mpt3 and tell me which has more average power in each gear.

Comment

Shorter gears will get you into boost faster and into the next gear and moving faster. People who say f22 for boost just dont have a clue.

Look at the example from http://www.zealautowerks.com

This is the tire size and rpm I used to determine my setup, with a f22 I would be setup for 223 mph and completely useless. You can see if im trying to trap 130mph in 4th in the 1/4 mile that the h22 would be best. *Personally I went with a h23 tranny with LSD and boost by gear.

Also unless this calculator is off putting a 4.062 into a h22 would be similar to having a h23 transmission.

Comment

Working...
                              X