how do i test piston rings? Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
    Let me know what you're plans for the old block/head are!
    my plans are to give it back to the jy so i can get my $100 core charge back lol

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
      If your rings were completely shot, you would've known it before when the car ran.

Testing rings, I prefer a leakdown test. Usually you can hear a hissing noise in the dipstick while the cylinder is under pressure if the rings are bad.

Personally I would put a head on it and go if funds are tight.

Just sayin, engine can have really worn rings before completely failing. If they were on their way out, you'd have probably known it.
      i got the car as project car knowing that the crank pulley had broke , me( thinking it was a non interference engine) thought i could just set the timing back on it well i set the timing nd NO START so i run a compression test nd its zero in all cylinders except 3 if i remember right

But can some one answer my question ----> is pouring oil in the cylinders an acceptable way to check for seized piston rings since the car had been sitting for almost 2 years???
      Last edited by rexjr919; 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Oil temporarily seals the rings if the compression jumps more than 10-15% it is signs of worn rings or othe piston related issue.

oyajicool was telling you an old trick that is common and he was correct.

02 Crv
        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
          Oil temporarily seals the rings if the compression jumps more than 10-15% it is signs of worn rings or othe piston related issue.

oyajicool was telling you an old trick that is common and he was correct.
          screw it, time for a engine swap

Comment

Originally posted by rexjr919 View Post
            screw it, time for a engine swap
            yea screw fixing a head with bent valves, just swap a h22.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              yea screw fixing a head with bent valves, just swap a h22.
              Lol i wish

Comment

Working...
              X