Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Failed Drive Clean Emimisons test!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed Drive Clean Emimisons test!

I got my emission done yesterday, but failed. It was a surprise to me as I did a full tune up (air filter, cap, rotors, wires, plugs, oil change, pvc valve, etc). Also I changed catalytic converter (Walker universal) and exhaust (Walker quiet flow) in last month.

The guy who did drive clean test said it’s the Catalytic converter that’s faulty. Before I go through the process of replacing the Catalytic again, are there any other reasons my car will fail emission test?

pls help

Here’s the result of the test.

how long did you drive your car around before you tested? NOx is reallllly high like mine was. i replaced my cat 3 times before mine would pass this past year. :/

you could try pulling a little timing and get another cat.
    COUPE K24

Comment

Probably drove around for about 15 mins. Cats covered under warranty so that should be no problem. Someone did suggest taking on the hwy and punching on the gas to clear out the carbon deposits. I'm not sure how to play with the timing.

Comment

you need to drive it more than 15 mins. you want the cat as hot as possible. also, dont turn the car off when you go to the test if theres a line or something.
        COUPE K24

Comment

Adjust your rocker arms.

Comment

you need to REALLY drive the car hard to warm up the Cat. I usually redline the shit outta my car right before I go and when I'm waiting in line, I keep the revs up at about 3k.

Cats need to be hot to be at their highest efficiency.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

i cant believe that no one has suggest to pull codes .

op you got any codes . there could be some stored even if light is not on .
              this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
              How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
              Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

I would also check the the EGR system. I have heard that a plugged EGR system will make you fail emissions. It will also give you high NOx levels. Just a thought.

Comment

Thanks for ur advice. Basically a good run on the hwy should solve my issue here. Since my cat is covered under warranty I have it replaced. As for codes I don't have any that I can see. Most of the mechanics I have mentioned this too stated the cat needs to be changed. I'll also play with the timing on the dizzy to alter my readings (just in case).

Comment

Originally posted by ExecutiveCB7 View Post
                    Thanks for ur advice. Basically a good run on the hwy should solve my issue here. Since my cat is covered under warranty I have it replaced. As for codes I don't have any that I can see. Most of the mechanics I have mentioned this too stated the cat needs to be changed. I'll also play with the timing on the dizzy to alter my readings (just in case).
                    If you NEED to pass emissions and your car just won't do it, there is something you can do. Not that I recommend it, but if you are in dire straights, well... Run pure ethanol. Run the tank down low, maybe 1 or 2 gallons in the tank. Do this by running on the highway, you know, heat that CAT up. Then pour in a quart or so of ethanol. DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU ARE VERY CLOSE TO THE EMISSIONS PLACE. DO NOT SHUT YOUR CAR OFF WHILE IN LINE. Keep that bitch hot. Ethanol can royally screw your engine up if this isn't done right. As soon, AS SOON as the test is done, go fill up the entire tank to dilute it. You should be fine, and the car should pass emissions. . Like I said, only do it if you REALLY need to pass. I might do that just to get mine tagged.

EDIT: FYI, this is a suggestion if the other stuff doesn't work.

Comment

do not run pure ethanol...your car is not tuned for it...there are reasons why people who tune for running e85 have to replace their injectors for bigger ones

i saw that you passed idle which makes me think that your culprit is quite possibly your EGR
                      Last edited by wolfy47; 11-04-2012, 12:00 AM.

Comment

thats wierd, usually bad cats fail the idle portion as well when it's not warmed up. those are really low standards even compared to california. change the cat and see what happens.

the reason i jump to this conclusion because ALL the readings are over the limit. they may have let it sit...run the 25/25 test first and by that time it was done, they let it idle. in california, they either have a 15/50 and 25/25 test or a two speed idle.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Especially if you have the original brass egr plugs (indicates they haven't been cleaned) I would tap those out with a tap hammer and clean those ports for the high nox. Also check ignition timing.

Comment

***UPDATE***
                            So I had the Cat replaced and passed!!!!. I guess i was a faulty cat i got in in the first place.. Thanks All for ur help and advise.

Comment

Glad to see that you got it through.. i was going to suggest some seafoam and driving the piss out of it afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X