Computer Heads. I needs help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
    I have been working with computers since 1994 and I will ask that you return the RAM. You will never get it working correctly eventhough the specs says it max out at 8GB. Even if you shell out the money for Crucial or Kingston RAM, and it does boot up, you will get all kind of issues. For example blue screen, applications freeze, and bios won't update. I had that issue with my Dell Studio. Upgrade to 8GB, it didn't run any faster but I cannot do lots of things. Like I cannot install Dell app when normally with 4GB you could. Your laptop will not benefit with the 8GB much more than with 4GB. The problem is with voltage stability. You have to down clock the memory speed, and increase the voltage to the RAM sticks. Most laptop cannot do this. My top of the line Asus PC motherboard max out at 24GB of RAM. I had to down clock the RAM speed to get it running stable. However, I benefit b/c I need quantity RAM rather than speed. In my case, the more the better and speed does little to benefit.

So return the RAM, it will never work no matter with which ever RAM. Try this, run a 4GB with a 2GB stick. That should work. However, your laptop won't run dual channel. Any way, return the RAM, you won't get any benefit spending that money.
    BTW, memtest only work accurate if your hardware is not an issue.
    That's what I have right now, a 4GB set-up with 2GB/slot. With this being said , I'll just return and spend that money on a much bigger hard-drive. Thanks!

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
    "DDR III 800/1066M DIMM socket x 2 (max 4GB per slot)"
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...DocID=PD022770

As long as you bought the correct kind of RAM it should work. If the RAM works in another laptop fine, then its not bad RAM.
    Try one stick at a time and see if the BIOS/CMOS shows the proper amount of RAM. If so, then try two. I would need to know what the BIOS is showing for RAM installed.

I'm not seeing any BIOS updates for your laptop either. And reducing the speed of the RAM is probably not possible in your BIOS setup.
    BIOS does read the 4GB memory when installed with another 2GB on the other side. However , Windows does read it as 6GB installed BUT only 1.74GB (256MB to video card) usable. Meaning the 4GB does nothing but a figure show.

I even tried installing only one 4GB , the laptop won't even boot to BIOS.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

ALWAYS check with crucial.com.

It runs a scan and will tell you how much max is supported in each bay and the specs of your system.

That way you can be sure you purchase the correct set.

Sounds like bad ram.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
        ALWAYS check with crucial.com.

It runs a scan and will tell you how much max is supported in each bay and the specs of your system.

That way you can be sure you purchase the correct set.

Sounds like bad ram.
        Hmmm , according to that site it highly recommends 1.35V ram sticks. What I bought were 1.5V. Anyway , I just decided to get a much bigger HDD.
        Last edited by ExplodingCake; 10-07-2012, 02:58 PM.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
        1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
        2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
        2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
        2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
        2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by ExplodingCake View Post
          That's what I have right now, a 4GB set-up with 2GB/slot. With this being said , I'll just return and spend that money on a much bigger hard-drive. Thanks!

BIOS does read the 4GB memory when installed with another 2GB on the other side. However , Windows does read it as 6GB installed BUT only 1.74GB (256MB to video card) usable. Meaning the 4GB does nothing but a figure show.

I even tried installing only one 4GB , the laptop won't even boot to BIOS.
          So I'd have to say you have gotten the incorrect kind of RAM.

Comment

The laptop supports both. We've been over this. Y'all are beating a dead horse.

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

Originally posted by ExplodingCake View Post
              Hmmm , according to that site it highly recommends 1.35V ram sticks. What I bought were 1.5V. Anyway , I just decided to get a much bigger HDD.
              Not sure how much youre willing to spend but you would probably get way better performance with a SSD.

Comment

Working...
              X