No announcement yet.

HenRoc: 1992 Accord EX Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the compressors can last a long time. To the best of my knowledge, Ruby's is still the original at 386,000.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      I think the compressors can last a long time. To the best of my knowledge, Ruby's is still the original at 386,000.
      Yeah looking back on it, the clutch kit isn't too hard to service. I could tell that it was on it's way out because every time the compressor kicked on you could feel it as well as hear it. It'll be nice to have a newer unit though.
      Henry R
      Koni/Neuspeed
      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Got the axle ...

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Henry, for some reason, the PM window is not allowing me to type, so I'll write you back here.

For the H23 Blue Top, I'm not sure that a P13 is going to run it well. While the head of the H23 is identical to the H22 head of the same year, the block is not. The 95mm stroke of the H23A is much larger than the H22 90.7mm stroke. H22 rods are 1.5mm longer than the H23A rods, and the compression ratio is different, since the piston dome heights are different for every H22 piston vs. the H23A piston (dome height 0.00). H23A compression ratio is 10.83:1, the H22A4 is 9.89:1, the H22A is 10.47:1, and the H22 Type S is 10.85:1. Since the P13 runs the H22A1, I would not use it. I would recommend a P06 or P28 if you don't want IAB's with Hondata S300 and tuned.

What is nice is that the external timing components and water pumps are transferable between the H22xx and H23A. Definitely do ALL seals, don't be dumb like me and have a balance shaft seal leaking and oil coming out of the timing hole due to a rear main seal leaking.
          *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
          ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
          ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
          "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
          The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
          Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
            Definitely do ALL seals, don't be dumb like me and have a balance shaft seal leaking and oil coming out of the timing hole due to a rear main seal leaking.
            On the H, don't forget to pick up a balance shaft seal retainer if the engine didn't come with one! I'm sure it's something that could be DIY'd pretty easily with some scrap metal, a drill, and a 10mm bolt that any Honda owner has laying around; but the OEM part number is 06923-P0A-306. Sounds like it's common for that seal to pop out on pre-recall engines.
            Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-12-2020, 04:57 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Oh, yeah! I definitely did that when I got mine, but I think my other one is now leaking. I wonder why they didn't just create a retainer for both balance shaft seals?
              *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
              ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
              ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
              "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
              The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
              Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                Henry, for some reason, the PM window is not allowing me to type, so I'll write you back here.

For the H23 Blue Top, I'm not sure that a P13 is going to run it well. While the head of the H23 is identical to the H22 head of the same year, the block is not. The 95mm stroke of the H23A is much larger than the H22 90.7mm stroke. H22 rods are 1.5mm longer than the H23A rods, and the compression ratio is different, since the piston dome heights are different for every H22 piston vs. the H23A piston (dome height 0.00). H23A compression ratio is 10.83:1, the H22A4 is 9.89:1, the H22A is 10.47:1, and the H22 Type S is 10.85:1. Since the P13 runs the H22A1, I would not use it. I would recommend a P06 or P28 if you don't want IAB's with Hondata S300 and tuned.

What is nice is that the external timing components and water pumps are transferable between the H22xx and H23A. Definitely do ALL seals, don't be dumb like me and have a balance shaft seal leaking and oil coming out of the timing hole due to a rear main seal leaking.
                Thanks for the reply man! And yeah I've done H22 swaps in the past. Just not famiilar with the bluetop although it's similar to an H22 in someways. I read a break down in differences between the PDE and P13 blue tops. It seems doable too and I already have a virgin p28 I could always put Hondata on.

I saw your YT vid on how you got yours remotely tuned..that was very interesting to me.

If I do decide to get one, I'll be sure to hit you up for more tips on it.

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                On the H, don't forget to pick up a balance shaft seal retainer if the engine didn't come with one! I'm sure it's something that could be DIY'd pretty easily with some scrap metal, a drill, and a 10mm bolt that any Honda owner has laying around; but the OEM part number is 06923-P0A-306. Sounds like it's common for that seal to pop out on pre-recall engines.
                Yeah for sure. If I do decided to get one I'm going through it like a fine tooth comb before dropping it in the engine bay.

The original motor just hit 235k a few days ago and it does have some pep but Id like something with motor torque and hp.

Just got my new Denso a/c compressor along with the discharge line in the mail yesterday.

Other pipe comes tomorrow. Hopefully this new unit will make this car ice cold. I can't stand the humidity out here in New England...the other day it was so bad that even being outside for 5 mins you could just feel the humidity in the air.
                Henry R
                Koni/Neuspeed
                1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,

Comment

Welp. More work was done the last few days. Before I installed my Denso compressor. I took out my old unit. Turns out that the EXs and SEs came equipped with the Hadsys unit and it wasn't entirely plug and play.

Fact is, I knew about this but I overlooked one minor part: The hoses are different as well as the attachment points and I was missing the plate that I needed. So I took a trip to a local yard where I knew of two LXs that they had in stock.

I ended up just buying a seized unit for $20 and used the one part I needed. But in my defence , all 3 but one bolt came off and it was humid as hell and also I didn't have all my heavy duty tools to free up the frozen ones that is until I got home and used my air compressor on the one bolt.

All 3 lined up together..the new unit with the old junked one and my original Hadsys compressor with the original discharge and suction lines:

After some de-greaser and a little wire brush action I cleaned up the plate from the spare compressor. This thing was caked in oil and dirt.

In the midst of it I also forgot that I needed the proper bracket for the compressor...so I went back and picked up the correct one and cleaned it up.

Pic for comparison:

And here's a picture of the completed install. I admit with the suction hose it's a just a bit longer on the LXs because off the differences in rest of suction pipe going to the evaporator core. With the ABS pump it has that weird step down design vs the LXs which don't but it fits. My ABS is still fully functional so I don't want to mess with it unless it actually fails. And I already have the lines and 40/40 valve readily available in case it does fail.

And yesterday I was finally able to bring it to a shop to get the system properly evacuated and filled but about 3 hours later (I left it at the shop) I went back and was told that there was a blockage in the system causing the high side to spike up and as a fail safe the system would shut itself off.

Overnight-ed a brand new Denso receiver drier so it should be here today and I'm just going to use my compressor to blow out the lines and hopefully that will solve my issue.

Luckily for me the shop won't charge me for a second re-fill but they were cool enough to draw out all the refrigerant for me as well.

And another part I finally scored last week was a full OE rack from one of the old forum members in down in TN. I found this complete piece by chance via car-part.com called the junkyard where the car was located and they only charged $25 for it.

With the help of another member from Alabama (StretchJDM) he put me in contact with another old member and we exchanged info via FB and he had one of his friends pick up the entire rack for me. Shipped it to me for a good price but I slid him extra for really helping me out.

I need to cut my roof trim to size but I'm happy with how it looks on the car.

Also I know the engine bay is filthy but at some point I'll clean it up. I just need a pressure washer to be able to clean the grease and grime on it. After 3 years with almost all the little issues sorted it out, it's starting to feel like a good daily again.

Speaking of daily driver..I two days ago I started ripping into the Tribeca. It's been sitting for nearly two months after the old motor just tired itself out. It still ran but the engine was definitely showing it's age. Misfiring due to worn timing chain guides.

So since I decided I'm going to keep it for awhile, I elected to pick up a JDM long block from an engine importer down in Queens, which will happen next week. I don't want a car payment and if I can get away with fixing it and re-selling it down the road, it should not be an issue.

It's my first time working a Subaru on such a massive scale that I think I'd learn more about the car as I go along. The great thing is I don't have to pull the transmission with it.

The engine is just bolted to the bell housing and obviously the torque converter as well. I'll try and re-sell the old block to someone who can use it for a re-build to re-coop a little bit of money.
                  Last edited by HenRoc; 07-21-2020, 02:35 PM.
                  Henry R
                  Koni/Neuspeed
                  1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                  Legend FSM

Comment

Damn, man. You stay busy with your toys. Good to see you don't half @ss anything. I'm taking notes.
                    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Eh I wouldn't say toys. The wagon will always stay with me. But the Tribeca I wanted to keep around since kids are on the way and being that I've been laid off for 5 months, I don't want to sink myself further in debt with a car payment so I opted to just fix it.

Aside from that, I am also about to embark on a 6 week course to get my CDL here in Massachusetts, they offer state funded programs for train to work jobs, so if I can land a decent job afterwards I'll save up and buy a minivan next fall and get rid of this car when I can.

It was only worth $150 at the local yard.
                      Henry R
                      Koni/Neuspeed
                      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                      Legend FSM

Comment

You going to post the updated suspension pics?
                        back at it again

Comment

So about a month after the last post I made about finally sorting out the air-conditioning issue..this happened
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	D3q25z.jpg Views:	0 Size:	28.2 KB ID:	4983800

August of 2020 I had been commuting at least 30 mins to attend a trucking school to obtain my CDL-A license. By that weekend my good friend GraniteCB7 dropped by to help me diag an issue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Qsblz8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.0 KB ID:	4983801

After doing a pressure test on the cooling system..you could hear air rushing out from around the intake manifold as well as an obvious coolant leak. So the disassembly began..

Click image for larger version  Name:	nkVCqh.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.6 KB ID:	4983802

You could see that the old gasket had definitely seen much better days.

Henry R
                          Koni/Neuspeed
                          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                          Legend FSM

Comment

So I went ahead and purchased a FelPro intake gasket.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	XXpGPn.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	4983804
                            For about 3 months everything was working fine, until mid late November it overheated again. So I pulled the spark plug where I suspected it was loosing compression and found this:

Name:	uoP58s.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	4983805

So I parked it:

Name:	DGlsoJ.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	4983806

Henry R
                            Koni/Neuspeed
                            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                            Legend FSM

Comment

Further diag, led me to believe the headgasket was failing..so I took the cylinder head off and sent to a machine shop to get it re-sealed and milled. They ended up only have to shave about 0.07 off, which wasn't bad for a car with only 238k orignal miles on the motor.Click image for larger version

Name:	oX6FPx.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	4983808

Put it back together

Name:	mSvKPg.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	4983809

Even ran fine through out December of that year.

Name:	NKA5Fv.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	4983810
                              Henry R
                              Koni/Neuspeed
                              1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                              Legend FSM

Comment

Well...it was short lived...very short lived. The engine ended up loosing oil pressure and was leaking oil from the side of the block. So once again I parked it. Now other people would have just thrown in the towel and sold the car but I was determined. I had done some research on H23A Bluetops and really wanted one. I kept checking back on HMotors online for availability until boom, they had recieved a shipment of them to their warehouse. I ordered it in March of 2021 and almost a month later, it showed up to my work. Sequence of photos is obviously me documenting the day it was dropped off.

Name:	Yp1gEO.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	4983812

The 4 days prior to it's arrival, me and GraniteCB7 pulled the old tired F22A6 out.

Name:	1ycch2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	4983813

After taking out the motor and removing crank pulley and timing covers..we discovered the source of the oil pressure loss.

Name:	IlrHbt.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	4983814

Unknown to me at the time, the balance shaft seal had failed. What I didn't know is that Honda had TSB on these where you needed to install a balance shaft seal retainer (06923-P0A-306) either that or the engine never came with one.

Henry R
                                Koni/Neuspeed
                                1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                                Legend FSM

Comment

Working...
                                X