Should I Get ______?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I Get ______?

have anyone ever come across the "should i get ____ for my car" threads? maybe its me but i just don't understand the logical thinking of how a person would be so indecisive enought to rely on the answers of internet strangers.

if i was indecisive on choosing a part for my car i usually think it over and weight out my options. i try to check out if those parts were any good from anyone who have had any expereience from them or search for pics to see how fashionable they would be.

don't get me wrong, i am not posting out of hatred but out of curiosity and maybe this may shed some light on some people before they post these such threads in the future.

i remember seeing someone's sig that has the quote, "opinions are like assholes, everyone got one." pertaining to that saying, everyones opinions would differ.

i believe in the members to make a decision that is right for themselves and not be caught in other's opinions. next time such a question is asked, think about who paid for the car, who drives it, who pays for insurance/gas/misc fees

Originally posted by HondaB18
    i try to check out if those parts were any good from anyone who have had any expereience from them or search for pics to see how fashionable they would be.
    That kind of answers your question. When i am not sure about a part i of course read the reviews...compare prices...etc...but in the end when i cant decide what to do i would come here first and foremost because any part that i can buy someone on here has owned and either loved or hated and they will be able to tell me specs on it and such.....so i think especially with newbs they come on here and just want to know opinions to help them choose the right parts the first time and not end up with shitty stuff. I mean i agree on the whole "do what you want its your car" cuz in the end as far as im concerned im the one who drives it and all so i make the final decision but its nice to get other peoples feelings as far as ideas....

about a week or so ago i posted a poll on which switch combo i should go for with my front/rear fog setup.......1) the OEM switch 2) a seperate switch near the ebrake for the rear or 3) a 3 way switch in the OEM for spot. Well i didnt get flamed...everyone through in the answers and in the end i agreed that i want to be able to control the rear fog since its hella bright and can be a distraction in "clear" weather conditions. So it all depends on the question i guess

Comment

it's sad to say, but alot of people are into cars because it's a fad for them or a trend they participate in with their friends to fit in, so they are insecure about what's cool. they seem to be the same people who say they love their car one minute, then are ready to sell it at the drop of a hat when something goes wrong.

a true enthusiast knows what they want with no opinions needed.

i too have often wondered things like why people don't know what color to paint their car. later.
      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
        it's sad to say, but alot of people are into cars because it's a fad for them or a trend they participate in with their friends to fit in, so they are insecure about what's cool. they seem to be the same people who say they love their car one minute, then are ready to sell it at the drop of a hat when something goes wrong.

i too have often wondered things like why people don't know what color to paint their car. later.
        very true, im 14 now and i started tuning my car early this summer, and i like it, because i have no influence from my friends.....because they dont know shit.

Comment

I wish i had a car at 14........how do you manage that? Ive heard that some states you can get your license early due to farming and needing to be able to drive farm equipment....like in La i think thats true...but its 16 unless im wrong....well either way thats cool.

Comment

well i got it for 250 dollars...haha, so it wasnt that hard to manage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie
              That kind of answers your question. When i am not sure about a part i of course read the reviews...compare prices...etc...but in the end when i cant decide what to do i would come here first and foremost because any part that i can buy someone on here has owned and either loved or hated and they will be able to tell me specs on it and such.....so i think especially with newbs they come on here and just want to know opinions to help them choose the right parts the first time and not end up with shitty stuff. I mean i agree on the whole "do what you want its your car" cuz in the end as far as im concerned im the one who drives it and all so i make the final decision but its nice to get other peoples feelings as far as ideas....

about a week or so ago i posted a poll on which switch combo i should go for with my front/rear fog setup.......1) the OEM switch 2) a seperate switch near the ebrake for the rear or 3) a 3 way switch in the OEM for spot. Well i didnt get flamed...everyone through in the answers and in the end i agreed that i want to be able to control the rear fog since its hella bright and can be a distraction in "clear" weather conditions. So it all depends on the question i guess
              i can understand newbs asking for comments on particular parts. there is a difference between comments and opinions. i would personally prefer to have someone with experience on a part to tell me then someone's opinion (yeah dude, i heard from my boy that obx is the shit, its cheap too). in the end, opinions are just that, opinions and nothing more.

your post about the light switch, did you come to that conclusion in the end or did someone on the board pursuade you to that decision?

i like this forum because of the diverse member population with their vast originality idea. take for example team-integra, i've been lurking that forum for a long time and joined last year. i can safely say that 99.999999% of the members there either are stock (with the minor accessories), an integra type r imitation or jdm replica. i think its funny because when members post their rides its either one of those three things and it just gets boring after a while. its because i see too many should i get _____ or ______. i can guarantee you that the majority will say stock or jdm. if your ride is different it will get flamed

it is sadly a trend that people follow. now i'm not saying i don't like helping people learn but when someone needs to be spoon fed with all the information then is that a true tuner or just a poser? there are tons of info on the web containing information. need help on choosing an exhaust? maybe do a little research before hand showing the board that your are willing to learn and post specs...

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
                couldn't have said it any better

Comment

should I get a supercharger for my car?

Comment

Originally posted by 93accord2dr
                    should I get a supercharger for my car?
                    Nah, just get a short ram, it's the same thing.

Comment

[QUOTE=TypeG]a true enthusiast knows what they want with no opinions needed.
                      couldn't have said it any better
                      So in saying this neither of you have asked for someones opinion or advice concerning anything on your car? I really can't believe that you have never said "Hey I want to get this ______, but I really like this _____ also. What do you think? Simply asking that person because they have experience with both products, and can share both the pros and cons of each. Simply saying John's not an enthusiast because he's unsure about the tires he wants to put on his car because he has no experience with tires isn't fair.

I think most of the time when people are asking should I get this... they are really trying to find the best part. Seeking information from people who might have these parts installed on their vehicles. Of course alot of this is due to lack of researching the products that they want. Then again when you research what are you mostly going to get....Opinions How someone felt about the product on their vehicle compared to another product. The only real research anyone can really do is buy both products and try them the same vehicle. Then performing the proper testing to verify which of the two is the better product. Someone elses dyno isn't going to tell you how a camshaft is going to perform on your vehicle...but you can get an idea of which cam would be the better one to buy from other people's experience. \

So asking hey do you guys think I should get some ebay projectors or one-peices, the original poster could be seeking others past experience with ebay projectors and one peices.

Member's Ride

Comment

Originally posted by tweeaks
                        So in saying this neither of you have asked for someones opinion or advice concerning anything on your car? I really can't believe that you have never said "Hey I want to get this ______, but I really like this _____ also. What do you think? Simply asking that person because they have experience with both products, and can share both the pros and cons of each. Simply saying John's not an enthusiast because he's unsure about the tires he wants to put on his car because he has no experience with tires isn't fair.

i can understand newbs asking for comments on particular parts. there is a difference between comments and opinions. i would personally prefer to have someone with experience on a part to tell me then someone's opinion (yeah dude, i heard from my boy that obx is the shit, its cheap too). in the end, opinions are just that, opinions and nothing more.
                        ^^ you can substitute the newbs with true enthusiast, hardcore tuner, tuner god etc etc

opinions vs advice : what someone thinks vs what someone suggests. if someone did do their research then wouldn't you say they would already know the pros and cons of each? what those people usually ask would be what the other person (with experience to those parts) think of them based on personal preference. and besides, the results will most likely vary from person to person so its not definate. (excluding the obvious stuff even a beginner knows about)

say your buying a car, you ask your co-worker (since he/she had experience with both) about them. do you automatically go out and just buy the one with the best opinion or do you just take her opinion as a grain of salt and buy what is in your best interest?

i can sit online all day and visit those threads and just suggest random parts to people. if you want to know which turbo charger to get i'll say a t4, if you want to know what color to paint your car i'll say pink and if it was a choice between ssautocrome or greddy i'll say autochrome.
                        Last edited by HondaB18; 09-03-2006, 09:52 PM.

Comment

At some points i agree....but i agree heavily with tweaks...just because someone wants to get an opinion on something doesnt mean they want to be spoon fed. As far as my switch poll went i just simply wanted to know what people thought...maybe there was something i missed or didnt think of...or maybe there was a 4th option that i couldnt even imagine because i am fairly new to the tuning scene...in the end it was my decision to go with the separate switch for the rear fog because i originally wanted it all wired to the OEM in the dash but i think it was CP[Mike] that brought up the good point that it will always be on with the front fogs and it is really bright...im not getting that rear fog to be a distraction..im getting it to be different since all the accords i see on a daily basis dont have them and also because it is a added safety feature...i wasnt persuaded...i dont want to distract or annoy other drivers when i wanna only run my fronts...so seperate switch ftw so i can run fronts without pissing off motorists and/or cops!

Comment

I would rock a geo metro with gas prices nowadays and for DD =D. Personally I never asked this question honestly lol more like my buddies ask I just tell them make a list and we list pros and cons and then I tell them go from there. So technically I dont do decision making for them they do it themselves =D.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by d2privat11
                              Nah, just get a short ram, it's the same thing.
                              I already have the Injen short ram. I want the Power Enterprise supercharger. With a stage 3 clutch, I could run mid14's.

Comment

Working...
                              X