T2T4 LSD tranny to replace stock F22A's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T2T4 LSD tranny to replace stock F22A's

I've been searching through the related threads and I see it stated over and over that any F or H tranny will work. My stock F22A6 setup's clutch is slipping so I'm sure it's on it's last leg. I would like to eventully do a F20B swap, but for now I just need to get this clutch replaced so I have a reliable car to get around in. So I was considering using the T2T4 tranny used with the F20B since that is the direction I would be eventually going with the engine swap.

Well, I say all of that to ask this: Does the 5spd T2T4 LSD tranny that they sell on Hmotors for $849 come with everything I would need to get my clutch squared away? And if I were to later do the F20B swap, would any upgrades to the internals bring the power up too high for the T2T4 to handle? Meaning would I just need to install a different clutch again anyway?

If you just need a new clutch, why replace the whole transmission? Last transmission fluid change did you see any metal shavings? Does it pop out of gear?

I would just pop on an OEM clutch and throwout bearing if you just want to get by until you do a motor/trans swap later then buy an exedy stg2 clutch to pair with a fresh LSD transmission and motor.

IMO putting the whole power train (motor and transmission) in at once is much easier than piecing it together in the car. So get a T2T4 transmission, Exedy stage 2 clutch, and the F20b all together as a unit.

I'm not sure why you keep calling the clutch an internal component, it is between the engine and transmission and is not internal.

Also if the transmission comes with a clutch (I doubt it would, they are bolted to the motor), you should ditch it and put a fresh one on anyway. Clutches are similar to disc brakes, would you ever trust your reliability of you vehicle on used parts? Used parts with prior wear patterns will not work out so hot with new parts to wear against, that's like putting worn pads on a new rotor, or the other way around.. Just go all new and have no doubts.

The only F transmission you cannot use is one meant for an F22C from an S2000.
    Last edited by wildBill83; 09-15-2014, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, this does clear things up a bit. I didn't mean that the clutch itself was an internal component. I was asking if later upgrading the internals (rods, pistons, valve springs etc.) would require me to replace the clutch again anyway to keep up with the power increase. It sounds like you answered my question by suggesting the Exedy stage 2 clutch.

Your recommendation to do the engine, stage 2 clutch, and T2T4 all at the same time was the kind of suggestion I was looking for. Thanks!

Comment

I did the same thing with an M2S4. Long ago I was hoping to do an H23 swap (that never happend). I had to do the clutch, and since H and F clutches and flywheels will bolt to either block I figured get the clutch/flywheel for an H23 and used that to swap out the slipping clutch and put the M2S4 in. When I had to do the clutch the engine swap was not going to be put in for awhile so I could not wait.

My opinion on the matter is if you are not putting the engine in for awhile, put the T2T4 with a new clutch that will be suited for the F20B but will work with the F22 for the meantime.
        Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

first thing you need to know about the T2T4 transmission is that not only does it come with an OEM LSD but the gears are shorter than the stock f22 transmission. so your gas mileage will be affected.

second I don't know how many miles you have on the motor but it is possible that the shorter gears on the transmission might stress out your current motor so im guessing you plan on getting the f20b soon.

and finally im sure you had read this thread ( http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=185260 ) already since it has the information on what is needed to do this swap. plus what motor mount you need for the transmission to fit.

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
          "2SIIC"
          Authentic Jerseys for sale
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

Working...
          X