Altezza tail light lense w/ stock housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Altezza tail light lense w/ stock housing

So I was looking for a set all clears to paint into a set of all reds (except for reverse light portion), when another member pm'd me with an interesting idea. He suggested that I purchase set of cheap altezza tails and use those lenses with the stock housings. Then I would have a set of true clears that could be painted to my liking. My concern is that the altezza lenses may not match up exactly with the stock housing an therefore would not seal correctly. And if they don't match up exactly would think that it would also ruin the fitment and throw off the lines of the vehicle. Has anyone here tried this, or have any insight on this idea? Thanks for reading...

You can do this, but you'll run into a couple issues.

1.) You will no longer have reflectors in your tail light lenses, rendering them non DOT approved, and illegal. Not only that, with the clear lenses and no reflectors, the light will not be distributed properly, probably making them dimmer and harder to see.

2.) If they don't fit properly, which you may have some slight gaps and such, I'd just use some clear silicone around the edges.

Comment

I took a set of oem 92-93 tails apart and the reflectors are separate from the lenses... You could easily retain the reflectors.

Like previously said, you may run into fitment issues with the lenses being a different size..

Buy a set of oem out of a junkyard relatively cheap so that you don't mess up your current housings. I bought a full set from a y ard fr a dollar.
      Last edited by dysfunk; 08-26-2012, 06:01 PM.
      92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
      2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
      2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Both great posts, thanks for the insight guys. I think I'll find a cheap set of Altezzas on ebay, and a cheap set of stock tails from a junkyard as suggested. I'll try to retain the reflectors as well. Might be a week or so before I can make it to the Junkyard, but I'll post my progress once I get started.

Comment

The only reason I speak of the reflectors being removed is because if you leave them in, they are clear. DOT states a "visible red reflector" must be attached to the rear of the vehicle.

Not only that, the clear reflectors would look ugly though the clear lens....BUT....once you tint the lens red, then the reflectors become red too, so, I guess it could work.

Also, the tail lights are tricky to get apart. Not as easy as the headlights. Take your time and be careful not to break them.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
            Also, the tail lights are tricky to get apart. Not as easy as the headlights. Take your time and be careful not to break them.
            These words are true.. you have to take your time and be extra careful, the housings can be very brittle and WILL crack or stretch. Patience is key
            92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
            2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
            2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Working...
            X