Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Fiberglasss Sub Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiberglasss Sub Box

I decided that my uncovered mdf boxes looked pretty lame so I decided to build a fiberglass box for my 12's.

Original Boxes(look lame, but they sound fine)

I started out by masking the humps in the back of the wagon with masking tape.

(the discoloration on the carpet is from my amp just sitting on the floor)

Next I layed down two layers of glass before removing what will become the sides of the boxes.

Cutting out the speaker rings is a good thing to do while the fiberglass is drying

(this is really easy if you have the right tools, too bad I don't )

At this point in the project I can't do anything because I have to cut the fiberglass sides down to size, but I don't have the right tools. Also, any suggestions or recommendations on painting the box when I'm done? I plan on covering the front fiberglass with bondo, then sanding it down and priming and painting it.

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

i can't wiat to see the finished product.

Comment

Looks good so far.

Have you thought about how you're going to attach those/keep those held in place?

A dremel will work fine for cutting down the fiberglass. Or an air-cut off tool if you've got one. Even a regular hand held saw like the one you're using to cut your MDF will do the job. It sucks, and it's going to kill your lungs, but what can you do. lol.

Comment

Yeah, I thought about just using my hacksaw to cut the sides up, but I don't want to risk seperating the layers because I don't want to make another side section. Dremel would be nice, but my tool supply is very limited(hacksaw, drill, and a really old reciporicating saw) .

Originally posted by Jonathan_ed3
        Have you thought about how you're going to attach those/keep those held in place?
        Are you talking about the hole box or the speakers? I cut out the mdf rings to hold the speakers in place. As for the box, the thing is going to weigh a ton and it is going to be a pretty tight fit inbetween the wheel wells so I don't imagine it going anywhere. The two seperate wooden boxes I have right now barely move at all, even around fast corners, so if I have them both in one box that is up against the sides of the trunk then it will not move.(Hopefully)

Anyway, everyone loves more pictures so here are some

determining volume of the enclosure with fleece and packing peanuts. Kind of what it will shape up to when it's finished.

Picture of the first layer of glass on the taped hump. Taping is the hardest part of fiberglass, because you don't want to get resin on your carpet.

Comment

can't wait to see that finish job man.ima start doing a fiberglass cover for my wagon's dash. have an xtra dash laying around so i can practice

Comment

Hmmm, well just make sure your fleece material is stretched tight when you're glassing it. You are off to a great start, glassing is pretty fun stuff.... I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

I recognize your concerns when cutting the fiberglass, mainly the delamination problem. You should be able to get a tool pretty cheap, probably $20 or less.....just shop around a bit.
            1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Looking great so far. Let me know if you need any fiberglass cloth, I have HUNDREDS of yards, and I will let it go for real real real cheap... (per yard)

Comment

cant wait to see it when it is done
                My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

Great idea, and excellent write up! Keep us posted...

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I haven't had much time to work on my boxes and I still need to borrow the dremel from my neighbor. More pics to come.

Comment

be carefull hackin that glass, the dust will fk u up serious

Comment

Oh, you're making a box that goes all the way across the car? I thought you were making two seperate enclosures, one that attached to each strut tower/area.

If you're making one big box, why did you even bother wasting your time with the fiberglass for the sides? You could have saved a lot of time/effort by just boxing the main section in with MDF, and using fiberglass for only the top portion. Maybe I'm missing something!

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan_ed3
                          Oh, you're making a box that goes all the way across the car? I thought you were making two seperate enclosures, one that attached to each strut tower/area.

If you're making one big box, why did you even bother wasting your time with the fiberglass for the sides? You could have saved a lot of time/effort by just boxing the main section in with MDF, and using fiberglass for only the top portion. Maybe I'm missing something!
                          This way it fits snug against the wheel wells.

Comment

Originally posted by CustomLowz
                            This way it fits snug against the wheel wells.
                            Exactly. Still need to borrow my friend's dremel(man this kid is never at home , I want to get this done!) Decided to redo my front grill(the first one had a huge hump where it was bondoed and the paint was flaking off, basically was too lazy to sand it down enough the first time)

Much better

Comment

Working...
                            X