Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

O2 sensor code reappearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O2 sensor code reappearing

I recently replaced the o2 sensor in my 92 Ex. Reset the ecu and got the car to normal temperature, and still have the code (code 1). Any ideas?

I tried searching the forum for a solution or an explanation, but no luck

Make sure to go with a OEM O2 and I'd bench test that. Just because it's new doesn't mean it is good. Also check your manual for how to test the wiring going to the O2 sensor.

Best of luck

Comment

What kind of O2 sensor did you put in?
      ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

To be honest, I always buy o2 sensors from Ebay, and they have NEVER failed me. I make sure it replaces the OE part number. Although, my CB had a severe power steering leak. When I went under the car to replace the sensor, the connector was soaking wet in PS fluid. I cleaned it but I don't know if the fluid damaged something else.

Comment

Well there have been issues around here with non denso/ngk brand O2 sensors being the problem. If it where me though I would get a pt4 ecu from the j/y if possible cause that's returnable if not the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by dr manhattan View Post
            To be honest, I always buy o2 sensors from Ebay, and they have NEVER failed me. I make sure it replaces the OE part number. Although, my CB had a severe power steering leak. When I went under the car to replace the sensor, the connector was soaking wet in PS fluid. I cleaned it but I don't know if the fluid damaged something else.
            eBay O2 sensors are fine, as long as they are Denso, NGK, or NTK. Bosch and other brands don't always play well with, or last very long on, Honda engines.

As far as I am aware, power steering fluid is not conductive. So it shouldn't have caused any sort of grounding/shorting issues.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by cb7 calling View Post
              Well there have been issues around here with non denso/ngk brand O2 sensors being the problem. If it where me though I would get a pt4 ecu from the j/y if possible cause that's returnable if not the issue.
              The PT4 is for the f22a3. A European model. It is not tunable.

OP, get NTK or Denso. If you've had luck with generic oem replacement sensors in your Accord before, it was likely just that. Luck. Also, an oem sensor tends to last 15-20 years if the engine is properly maintained. That means most of us should only be on our second, MAYBE third sensor by now.
              Also, check your wiring and connections, just to be safe. And make sure your engine is running properly, and not fouling the sensor in a short time.

Comment

Yes deeve I completely dropped the ball with that pt4 ecu sheesh. It is also true fluid should not cause a short but maybe a watery mess could?
                Op honestly I have not heard of a case where an ecu caused faulty O2 readings. I was just thinking that's where I would start if I where in your shoes.
                Connectors are free to check visually and then if your replacement was not ngk/ntk/denso it is usually finicky with a Honda.

Comment

Usually if it's an ecu problem, there are multiple false codes thrown (or, more often, a "bad ecu" code).
                  The error is most likely due to a faulty or incompatible o2 sensor. Damaged wires or connectors could also cause issues.

Comment

^yeah good call Deev, I helped a friend w/ a JDM H22 swapped CB and he kept getting code 14's (IACV). I had installed all my spare valves, including the working one off my car. Code 14 kept popping up, wiring visually looked fine. On a whim I decided to pop the covers off the ecu, there were burn spots so I knew there was an issue. Threw in a diff ecu, problem solved! So def check out the wiring but also check out the circuit board of the ecu as well. This is all bearing on that you have an NTK/Denso sensor, I wouldn't run anything else.

Comment

Denso, NGK, or NTK ok, got it. As far as the ecu incompatibility, when I bought the car a few weeks ago, I found another ecu in the trunk. So, the original ecu was most likely swapped. I'll check tomorrow and get some pics. thanks!

Comment

NTK is NGK. It's the brand they sell their o2 sensors under (not sure if any are branded NGK... I've never seen any, though perhaps in other markets.)

Take note of what ECUs you have. Some people think an ECU swap is an upgrade, and I've known some folks to do some REALLY stupid things (for example, running a heavily modified 2.2L engine on a bone-stock ECU designed to run a 1.5L engine...) Your 92 EX should have a PT6 ECU. There is no other ECU that should be used with your engine (which should be an F22A6.)

Comment

Sorry for keeping you guys waiting, I finally got some time off today. I went ahead and pulled out the ecu which was a PT6-A52 and replaced it with a PT6-A50. The cel light didn't go away (I was not expecting it to go away since I have not changed the o2 sensor with an OEM one yet). Took it for a test drive and it made a huge difference.

The car is running rich since it doesn't detect the o2 sensor, and on the highway, it gets flooded with gas and I have to take my foot off the pedal. It always happens, but now with this ecu it didn't and runs better. The car doesn't have the EX badge, but I can tell it's an EX because it has a sunroof and abs. My engine is an f22a4. Also, the A52 was marked "oct 90" and the A50 was marked "Jul 93".

Comment

You should be using a pt3 ecu, not a pt6. Pt6 is for the f22a6.

Comment

Originally posted by dr manhattan View Post
                              Sorry for keeping you guys waiting, I finally got some time off today. I went ahead and pulled out the ecu which was a PT6-A52 and replaced it with a PT6-A50. The cel light didn't go away (I was not expecting it to go away since I have not changed the o2 sensor with an OEM one yet). Took it for a test drive and it made a huge difference.

The car is running rich since it doesn't detect the o2 sensor, and on the highway, it gets flooded with gas and I have to take my foot off the pedal. It always happens, but now with this ecu it didn't and runs better. The car doesn't have the EX badge, but I can tell it's an EX because it has a sunroof and abs. My engine is an f22a4. Also, the A52 was marked "oct 90" and the A50 was marked "Jul 93".
                              Does it have an lx badge? What was the ecu marked tat was in the trunk? Pt3? Just trying to gauge the number of modifications you are working with here.

Comment

Working...
                              X