Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22B swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22B swap

Hey guys. no one on any of the prelude forums knows the answer to my question, and i have searched, so i figured i would ask the guys who prodominantly use this engine...accord guys. for the record, i am not a beginner to honda's whatsoever, but i dont have the posts to make a thread in the "real" forum, so this is my best bet.
    I am swapping an F22B DOHC into my 5th gen prelude this weekend. as far as the prelude community is concerned this engine is almost irrelevant and no one has done this swap into a 5th gen. i have done many swaps, so swapping it is not the problem, its just getting it running. I am not entirely sure what all needs to be swapped over from my obd2 h22a4 (if anything) to get this f22b into my prelude with no CEL's/ annoying obd issues. I figured i will have to wire in a ckp sensor, or something, but i have never messed with wiring, and patience would be appreciated. I am getting mixed answers, and i am worried i wont be able to get this done . I have already ordered a conversion harness and a P28 with a stock f22b map on it. I will be boosting and tuning in the next few weeks so thats why im not just buying a stock ecu. what all will i need to swap over? dist,injectors etc....? i plan to use my stock h22 harness. also, are there any things i should have disabled on the ecu im ordering? knock sensor? also, does anyone know if my power steering pump will work with the F22B? thanks for the help guys. Anyone that knows the answer to this question, PLEASE help me out! i have the engine sitting in my garage from HMO right now and i am too scared to swap it because i dont want to get it in there and not be able to get it running. thanks again.

Brandon

im not sure if only beginners post in this forum, it sucks i cant make one in the actual forum. so please, only people with real knowledge on the subject post. thanks.

You actually have a much better chance of getting real help in this section. We don't encourage beginners to stumble around blindly until they get 30 posts... the purpose of this forum is for those with little knowledge to gain more knowledge unmolested. Flaming is not allowed in this section. Members are expected to post helpful information, or not post at all.

Anyway, I gather that you're planning on changing the F22B over to OBD2, rather than converting the car to OBD1? If you're going to be working with an OBD1 P28, it would probably be wise to convert everything to OBD1... which means you won't be changing anything on the engine, but you will have to hack up some wires.

The F22B is a direct swap into a CB, which means the CB's wire harness should have all plugs necessary. I'm not incredibly experienced with wiring, and I've never done an OBD conversion... but getting ahold of a wiring harness for a CB might be a good start.

Comment

Just curious as why the h22 is coming out?

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. ive been out of town so i couldnt get to a computer. deev, the car is also being converted to obd1. i was under the impression that you have to be obd1 to tune, and i will def. need a tune. as far as "hack up some wires", what exactly are you referring to? how in depth would this be? i think i might have to wire in a ckp sensor...any knowledge on that?

i contacted rywire by the way, and they mentioned something about sending in my h22 harness, and the hacked up harness that i got from HMO and they would make me a harness that worked. im not sure how they could just "do" that but hey, if it works then ill probably consider it. they want $300 for it, so if the wiring is minimal i would rather just do it myself.

as for why the H22 is being pulled out. I have wanted to boost my prelude ever since i got the car. The H series engines just seem like too much of a risk to boost. sure, you CAN boost an H22, and odds are itll be fine for a while, but they just seem to detonate and crack ringlands too often with the high compression. i just dont want to deal with it. not to mention that a replacement for that engine would run $1000+. the F22B sounded like a good idea. iron sleeves, low(er) compression, a cheap price tag, and that awesome reputation that F series engines have for boosting. ive also never seen an F22B 5th gen prelude before, let alone a boosted one. so itll be cool to do something a little different.

Turbo set up:
        5th Gen Prelude
        DOHC F22B
        Garrett T3 Super 60-.60/.63
        Lovefab Mini-Me EQ mani
        Tial 44mm WG
        Greddy type RS BOV
        Walbro 255
        DSM 450's
        Treadstone intercooler & piping
        tuned on a P28 w/ eCtune

all i need is the wastegate and im good to go. the turbo is on its way

Comment

Sounds like one hell of a task with that wiring harness, goodluck! Itll be unique if nothing else
          Built & Boosted.

Comment

I believe instead of hacking up your harness, you could buy whats called a step down harness that converts your obd2 harness to obd1 or 0. Here's a pic of what it would look like.

Comment

Use 96 Prelude H23 dizzy. If you are boosting, you want bigger injectors anyways, so OBD2 injectors that would fit an H22 would work. Use the OBD2 - OBD1 ECU harness, if you don't already have one. The H22A4 engine harness should fit the F22B, you may need to move some connectors. Coolant temp sensors may be different.

The H23 and the F22B are externally very similar, if not the same. See if the 96 H23 has this ckp sensor you need.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I never thought of that.

And yeah, that harness would be a good thing to go with. I keep forgetting that people actually make conversion parts... I don't work with any OBD2 cars, so I'm pretty ignorant about that stuff.

The OBD2 H22A injectors are actually smaller than the OBD1 injectors. They're a different type, though.

Comment

4u2h8me, i do already have an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. as for the injectors, i already have DSM 450's with a resistor box, so ill have to wire in the injector plugs to my understanding. accordwgnguy, could you explain to me why ill need to use an obd2 H23 distributor? not to mention how hard that particular part would be to find. as far as i understand, the F22B is literally a debored H23 with iron sleeves. so wouldnt the distributor that comes on the F22B be the same? Im aware its an obd1 engine, but again i dont understand why i would use the obd2 distributor.

Deever, which harness are you referring to? a conversion harness or an actual F22B harness? also, does anyone have any experience with RyWire? im really considering just sending them my H22 Harness and my chopped F harness that i got with my engine from HMO. they apparently can make it a plug and play with the harness, but honestly it sounds almost too good to be true. i kinda felt like the guy on the phone didnt know dick about what he was talking about. but then again im asking the questions so who knows.

Also, since i finally have accord guys to ask lol, do you guys think ill have trouble making the power i want on this engine? I'm shooting for 10 psi, about 280whp and 255-260wtq. any suggestions for power with these engines would be appreciated. I'm hoping the block can take 300+ whp like the F22ax engines seem to be able to withstand. ill also be using an M2A4 H22 trans. I dont really see too many weak points in this setup with the exception of my tiny 2.33'' exhaust. also, i cant quite remember how much boost the stock map sensor can read. i think it was 9 psi, but im not sure. if anyone knows feel free to shed some light. thanks for the help guys. this seems like a pretty legit forum.

Comment

Originally posted by h22honda98 View Post
                    4u2h8me, i do already have an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. as for the injectors, i already have DSM 450's with a resistor box, so ill have to wire in the injector plugs to my understanding.
                    Yes sir, if you already have the step down harness, then all you need to do is wire in the pig tails for the injectors.

Comment

not many people know this but the 5th gen prelude XI (Japanese model) actually came with an obdII F22B. and its 4 lug as well.

the japanese 96 prelude SI (4th gen) came with an obdII f22b but it would be difficult to get your hands on one of those harnesses. since you already have obdI components, it wouldn't be of any use to you anyway.

Comment

^really??? I honestly have never heard of that. if you can find a link, just because i curious and want to see this for myself, i would appreciate it. im curious as to how well the engine can take the weight of a 5th gen prelude. theyre so damn heavy.

so does anyone have any experience with RyWire / think my power goals are attainable?

Comment

I've spoken to several friends of mine that have had custom harness work from rywire. None have had any bad experience with the product, just the turn around time. Now as far as your power goals, all I can say is anything is possible with the right parts and tune.

Comment

alright cool. ill probably go with rywire then. just an update: i should have my clutch in tomorrow . i got a competition clutch stage 4 1620 series. holds 350wtq, so i should be good. they claimed that it wasnt bad at all to daily drive, but i guess ill have to find out for myself lol.

also got the engine out of the car this past weekend, will be installing clutch, engine and trans, then just waiting on the harness to get back. i ended up having to use my F22 trans, so i hope the longer gears dont slow me down too much. i had an f22 on my H22 for a while and it was god awful slow.

Comment

The f22 tranny would be good if you planned on going turbo later on..

Comment

Working...
                              X