Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Hseries Forged Pistons on FRM Sleeves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hseries Forged Pistons on FRM Sleeves.

Peace cb7 fam. I wanted to start this thread, though I know this has been discussed @ nauseam. This is not to re-ignite an old topic but to add information and a possible solution to the H-series FRM cylinder liner conundrum.

After much research and hair pulling I may have found some possible solutions and piston options. However it may be contingent upon interest.

I have recently been in contact with a local company in VA called InlinePro. They have contracted CP to manufacture FRM pistons for the S2k. Because inlinePro has a successful clientele base CP can manufacture a set of these pistons at a comparable cost to all the other forgeed piston manufacturers. The upside being that FRM owners will not have to sleeve @ power levels under 500hp!!!

I'm sure if we can show enough interest and possibly spark a group buy to demonstrate demand in the H-series market we could have a solid option for pistons that would not require sleeves under 500hp.

Right now, a lot of tuners and companies do not know that there is a market for the H-series. It is a lesser known motor and many companies do not believe it can make good power. Here alone I have seen quality build producing power that can rival or exceed any K-series or F-series motor in the 4Cyl class. BoostedBoiz on YouTube runs a USDM H22 making 700hp off of the stock sleeves. He is currently running the Mahle Golds with a mild home, however he has already gone through one set of pistons and had slight scarring on the Cylinders. These motors can be formidable if there is enough support. The goal of this thread is to gauge that interest and show that there is a market fo H-series FRM pistons.

This is a huge opportunity! I am not selling anything I just want to see us all benefit from this opportunity. If we can get some chatter going I will be sending multiple communications to the company. I will be sending specs and bore sizes to inline pro this week. CP will need to digitize the specs and the pistons before production. I think we can do it! We have enough members who have built these motors!!

Let's get these positions on the marked and end the FRM debate!!!

http://www.inlinepro.com/s1/

Peace again:
    TheSnigg

Seems like a waste of effort when you have Mahle Gold pistons available.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I would hardly label the H-series a "lesser known motor". There are several companies and shops who not only believe in its capabilities, but have proven it. You must keep in mind that it's been well over a decade since it went out of production. Since then the focus has turned to the S2000's F-series and the K-series engines.
      1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        Seems like a waste of effort when you have Mahle Gold pistons available.
        Mahle Golds still scar the cylinder wall. As I mentioned in the post this has been well documented in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
          I would hardly label the H-series a "lesser known motor". There are several companies and shops who not only believe in its capabilities, but have proven it. You must keep in mind that it's been well over a decade since it went out of production. Since then the focus has turned to the S2000's F-series and the K-series engines.
          Lesser known...or maybe lesser supported in terms of manufacturing. H22a has pretty good support and an after market, though the FRM is still a limiting factor. H23a Vtech has no support though it offers the same HP and more torque.

Comment

So then it's a waste...thanks for the support!

Comment

no no no sir. the mahle have longevity issues, FRM is indeed a good thing so if there's an oem equivalent drop in (rings are another thread) that would be awesome, i expect them to start at no less then 800 unfortunately though.

Comment

FRM is the same "limiting factor" that the S2K and NSX engines face with regard to pistons. There was a time JE used to offer a coating for their H22A pistons for FRM compliance, but now they specify their pistons are only for sleeved blocks.

Fact of the matter is, any piston other than what is on the market now, will have to be custom made. You'd be hard pressed to convince a manufacturer to mass produce pistons for an engine so far past its production end.

Comment

As for the H23A VTEC, support for it is even further limited because it was never offered in any USDM Honda. Therefore any parts that are not interchangeable between the H22A and the H23A may only exist in overseas markets.

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
                    FRM is the same "limiting factor" that the S2K and NSX engines face with regard to pistons. There was a time JE used to offer a coating for their H22A pistons for FRM compliance, but now they specify their pistons are only for sleeved blocks.

Fact of the matter is, any piston other than what is on the market now, will have to be custom made. You'd be hard pressed to convince a manufacturer to mass produce pistons for an engine so far past its production end.
                    Exactly, that's why this could be a chance to get the same solution that has worked for S2k and nsx motors to work on the Hseries. Even if the motors are not made any more, there is still a current market. H's are cheaper and can produce the same power as k's. B and D series motors are also not in production yet there is more support. NSX is mostly specialty shops and the S2k is somewhere in the middle. I don't understand why, when there is a possible solution to an issue, would we not ouch for support.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                      no no no sir. the mahle have longevity issues, FRM is indeed a good thing so if there's an oem equivalent drop in (rings are another thread) that would be awesome, i expect them to start at no less then 800 unfortunately though.

The only OEM drop in that I have seen that can run some boost are the Nippon racing pistons. Nippon produces the pistons for the stock DSMs. These motors have been know to push 400+ to the wheels off the stock internals. I have seen Nippon pistons and rings with forged rods run over 350hp I hondas however for the Hseries they only come in 11.2 comp as "type s" pistons.

Comment

The H is pushing 20 and there is still no coating that can be applied to a standard piston to remedy this issue? Do we even know what the stock pistons are "coated" with? Is it a material incompatibility issue? I would love some drop in pistons for the H.

The H23v is no different than the H22a minus rods, crank and oil squirters. Everything else is the same.

The crank is a standard 95mm Honda crank. The only thing exotic would be the rods, which you can go custom for.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

CP engineering has a full remedy that works for the Fseries FRM sleeves. However they only make them for InlinePro in VA. I am attempting to get a set made for the Hseries using the same tech.

Comment

what make frm pistons different then regular pistons? i know the liner on the cylinder walls are different but is the piston different too.

Comment

The FRM has aluminum in it, and since you can't use similar metals against each other (pistons vs sleeves), the pistons have to be coated in iron. It's still a standard cast aluminum piston underneath; or forged aluminum in the case of the S2000.
                              Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-30-2017, 01:23 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                              X