H311RA151N : 1992 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
    You have the retainer for the balance shaft seal? This is good insurance against a possible oil loss event.
    Sure do. I expect to see one on there but I bought one just incase. The Dorman one from RA. It has the seal and I think the dipstick o ring too. But I think I have an SFK seal I'm going to use.

-

On another note, my camera equipment just arrived. I'll be filming with a Gopro hero 6 black with an isteady pro2 gimbal. I'm familiarizing myself with the equipment and awaiting some soft box lighting equipment. After last year I know a little more and this year I plan on greatly improving content quality. I still have a ton to learn.

Comment

Today the radiator cracked or the seal for the lower tank gave out. I didn't find exactly where it was leaking. But it was pretty significant.

This car and coolant leaks...

So I drive less than 3.5 miles and 12 minutes to work one way. I did something really crazy and eliminated the radiator tonight and drove around for 15 minutes. The car has absolutely no radiator and the trans cooler lines are looped. I cut the lower radiator hose and looped it around to the water outlet on the front of the block. I used part of the lower radiator hose that I cut off to funnel distilled water into the block through the outlet or neck on the front of the block. I found out it holds about a gallon and a half of water. I ran it with the heat on full (being the only radiator it really has) and with it bringing fresh (cool) air in. It showed no signs that it was ever going to overheat or blow a hose off. The temp gauge came up quickly (3-4 mins of driving) but never raised over about 40% of the full sweep on the gauge. So just under halfway. I was really impressed. This is temporary and will hopefully last until Sunday. So 6 days back and forth to work. If it wasn't upper 30's or low 40's this might not work so well.

Pretty crazy but it's also pretty neat. I'm not buying a cheaply made over priced radiator from the parts store. I purchased a Denso from Amazon for $67 shipped. I also purchased a new Gates lower radiator hose for $12 from Amazon as well. And, on Monday I will be starting on the timing belt and the A/C system anyway. I'm not really into putting parts in to take them right back out.

If you ever break down with a cracked or busted radiator you can get back on the road in an emergency. I'm doing it because I can and because the drive I take to work has a turn off every 250 feet. And also I wouldn't be upset if I potentially lost an engine although it's not likely. To me, worst case scenario is just another opportunity.

Comment

Reminds me of an prototype engine when I worked at Cummins, no radiator, but it had a massive oil cooler!
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          Reminds me of an prototype engine when I worked at Cummins, no radiator, but it had a massive oil cooler!
          I'm extremely surprised. Drove it today with absolutely no issue.

Looks like I'm still on for next week.

Comment

After 10.5 hours in the garage today I will be putting the timing belt and balance shaft belt on tomorrow. I'm literally to that step with every seal replaced as well as the water pump, tensioners and springs.

I have incredible footage of the worst timing belt I've ever seen or heard of. Literally every single tooth of the balance shaft belt was gone and piled up in the bottom of the lower timing belt cover. The balance shaft belt was torn half way in one area and I was able to snap it with moderate strength. The cam seal was literally in pieces pouring oil down the block and the timing belt was cracked every 1/2" to an inch. There was so much deflection in the timing belt that I had difficulties finding TDC. I cannot believe that this car ran.

It's going to be up to a couple weeks until I'm able to edit all the footage but it's going to be well worth the wait. Me speaking about it doesn't do it justice. It's incredible.

Comment

It's running and driving with nice cold R12 A/C. It runs so much smoother. Idles smoother and has a little more power.

New :

Fuel filter
              Timing belt
              Balance shaft belt
              Balance shaft belt tensioner & spring
              Timing belt tensioner & spring
              Crank seal
              Balance shaft Seal
              Cam seal
              Water pump
              Thermostat
              Radiator
              Lower radiator hose
              Alternator & A/C belt
              Power steering belt
              PCV valve grommet

A/C Compressor
              Condenser
              Expansion valve
              Receiver drier
              All O-rings
              Schrader valves
              R134A adapter fittings (R12 refrigerant, R134A fittings are my preference)
              Supercool synthetic ester oil
              Pure R12 refrigerant 28oz

Cold R12 A/C and a smooth running engine.

I have 7.5 hours of footage to edit. 128GB. All 1080p, 60fps with 5000k-5700k lighting. Lots of talking and explaining. Step by step 90% of the time. It's going to take me weeks to edit. It's the absolute best footage I've ever filmed hands down.

If you want a preview go to my Instagram. plain_
              guys_garage

Comment

In the time leading up to buying my chassis, I was making all these plans to film the work, and how exactly I was going to do it. Not for the sake of starting a YouTube side-hobby, just a few feature films 20 or 30 minutes long summarizing its "Stage 1" progress that I'm deadlining this summer, and trying to make it engaging - maybe even inspiring to Honda enthusiasts who normally wouldn't consider a getting into a CB. But once I actually started the filming, it didn't last long. I have little enough time with the car, and it was slowing me down so much thinking about angles and all that, so I've just been trying to get through the work. Maybe I'll make another attempt soon.

That said, I respect you for keeping at it. I'll keep watching.
                Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-27-2020, 01:46 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I really appreciate it. If it weren't for this forum I wouldn't have any starting audience other than personal acquaintances and family, friends etc. Only a couple who are automotive enthusiasts.

It's so much work to film the work. I never knew how much work went into film and photography. My wife is watching the entire time on my phone as the GoPro on my head is displaying and controlled through it. Without her this wouldn't happen. She has had my back for well over a decade with my automotive addiction.

That being said, the content I have briefly went through won't be shorted on the editing end. There are 373 videos of various length to go through but what I have seen is very decent. However long it takes to get it edited is how long it takes. I'm very excited.

What I lack is expressing my personality. Which, even in my profession is one of my characteristics. If you try to get to know me when I'm elbow deep in something I'm going to appear dull and bland. Truth is I'm really quite the opposite. However my natural personality would get me in trouble in front of audience. It's tough but something I'm going to figure out. Being serious but not acting like it. Maybe it comes with experience...

-

Last thing, I would post pictures on here but with Photobucket and Flikr we all know the story. I'm not trying to whore out the forum to grow my audience or get attention. Staying involved and progressing is something I'm not familiar with. Trying this out is all new to me. Also, I would never mind if any of my content ended up on here or was referenced etc. If that's something that might come to be. It's hard work and I'm going to protect it. This forum is the exception. I know and trust this group and for good reason. It's trustworthy.

Comment

I changed the oil today. I used Amazon Basic's full synthetic 5w30 as usual. I suggest doing some research to anyone intrested in an awesome full synthetic oil. It's $20 for a 5 quart jug and outperforms some oils that cost twice the price. It's on par with Amsoil.

Also, I have been neglecting the rear brakes. And of course, now that it has a fresh timing belt and ice cold R12 A/C it started grinding in the rear when the brakes are applied.

So, it needs a new lower timing cover, the current one is shot and comes in contact with the crank pulley slightly and the alternator belt. I want a new pressure relieve radiator cap. And it needs rear brakes. I have the pads. So in two weeks I'm ordering the following.

Brembo rear rotors,
                    Cardone rear calipers.
                    Dorman lower timing cover.

Some other small items as well.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                      Front suspension components this weekend.

Accord gets a name. Cheap Bastard.

Wow! I mean ... wowww ... and I thought I've been busy with the new house.

You make it look easy Josh! I'm not a member of YT, but I'm going to check out the others.
                      Oh and .. sooo nice to have the "proper" tools for the job ... ug ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                        Wow! I mean ... wowww ... and I thought I've been busy with the new house.

You make it look easy Josh! I'm not a member of YT, but I'm going to check out the others.
                        Oh and .. sooo nice to have the "proper" tools for the job ... ug ..

Just wait! This video and the others that are up were just me figuring some stuff out. The new videos are going to be 10x better. I really appreciate it though Tomi! I'm going full stream ahead and going to figure out this filming thing.

Oh, having decent tools makes it so much nicer. The next video is going to show me breaking the dreaded crank bolt loose like it's nothing.

Comment

Delay after delay after delay. I started editing and the laptop I have will not edit 4k or 1080p videos. The CPU maxes out once the video starts gaining in length (3rd clip actually) and then becomes impossible to edit. I'm using PowerDirector 365. My HP HQ TRE 71025 works great for EvoScan and such on the DSM but I think that's about it. And as far as I know it's not upgradeable. So now I'm in need of a better (possibly upgradeable) laptop. So it's going to be a couple weeks until I can swing that. I'm now debating on which laptop to get. This quickly became expensive. Good thing I enjoy it.

Also, I'm replacing the timing covers on this car. In a couple weeks. Video on that as well.

Edit...

After much searching I discovered that editing 4k videos takes a lot of computing power. I needed a new laptop anyhow. I'm stuck until later this month..
                          Last edited by H311RA151N; 03-03-2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                            Delay after delay after delay. I started editing and the laptop I have will not edit 4k or 1080p videos. The CPU maxes out once the video starts gaining in length (3rd clip actually) and then becomes impossible to edit. I'm using PowerDirector 365. My HP HQ TRE 71025 works great for EvoScan and such on the DSM but I think that's about it. And as far as I know it's not upgradeable. So now I'm in need of a better (possibly upgradeable) laptop. So it's going to be a couple weeks until I can swing that. I'm now debating on which laptop to get. This quickly became expensive. Good thing I enjoy it.

Also, I'm replacing the timing covers on this car. In a couple weeks. Video on that as well.

Edit...

After much searching I discovered that editing 4k videos takes a lot of computing power. I needed a new laptop anyhow. I'm stuck until later this month..
                            Yeah man, hardly ever got into video. Just the still side of things. Wish I could help ...

Though, after thinking about it, I gotz faith in you ...
                            More then I do myself, lol ... I'll keep an eye out for your new stuff ..
                            The house is rockin .. almost completely new everything ... its been a real ride ...

I wanna get as much done before My Raiders open up in Sept ...
                            I know ... I'll never be "done" lol ...

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                              Yeah man, hardly ever got into video. Just the still side of things. Wish I could help ...

Though, after thinking about it, I gotz faith in you ...
                              More then I do myself, lol ... I'll keep an eye out for your new stuff ..
                              The house is rockin .. almost completely new everything ... its been a real ride ...

I wanna get as much done before My Raiders open up in Sept ...
                              I know ... I'll never be "done" lol ...

I think I will figure it out in time. But, we'll see!

Good to hear on the house! And the LV Raiders, that'll be a name change to get used to. Awesome for you LV guys though!

Comment

Hey. Was just going through the members ride threads and getting caught up.
                                Was pretty excited to see someone else on the forum getting a channel started.
                                Your so right, Its absolutely a ton of work filming while working.
                                Then loads of files and hours upon hours of editing.
                                But the end result is worth it especially when it helps or inspires someone else.
                                Its fun too, lol
                                I actually think your videos where done really well.
                                I'm subscribed. Keep at it and thanks for awesome work.
                                My YouTube channel
                                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWG...y6tJ7wJMI4J8vA
                                Instagram
                                https://www.instagram.com/dreamability71/
                                Members Ride.
                                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210942

Comment

Working...
                                X