Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I owned property in Canada, could I register and insure a car there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I owned property in Canada, could I register and insure a car there?

...even if I didn't live there? I wanna buy myself a quarter acre of permafrost... then import my Skyline

It wouldn't be a stupid investment. Land is never stupid. And I'd be a landowner in 2 countries!

Looking into lots of land in New Brunswick... there are some cheap wooded lots, not all that far from the Maine border... like, 4 acres for $6500 USD (that lot was sold... but still...) If I could get 4 acres for less than half of what I paid for my Fit... I'm doing it! Property taxes for that place were like $25 a year. I could plop a small modular home on it, and have one hell of a second home! I could live up there when it's nice, and come back here when it snows... because I don't think I want to be up there when the white stuff starts falling!

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Also wow 6500 for 4 acres, sounds like one hell of a deal. Wish I could find that here where I'm at.

86 4Runner - 22RE 5spd, 4" Lift, 35x12.5R15 BFG Km2's, 4.10 gears
      "The Turtle"
      DD/Trail Rig/Mud Bug

Comment

This was actually in a place that looked quite nice.

I've never even been to Canada. It'd be funny if I made a land purchase before even setting foot in the country...

I'm seriously considering it, though. Plus, we have a ton of Canadian members here that can tell me if I'm looking at a truly undesirable place!

Comment

My understanding is the vehicle has to be 15 years old or less, have appropriate safety equipment as prescribed by law, and adjustable backs on the front seats (this will excluede a lot of coupes that the front seats just 'fall back' into a set position and cannot be reclined or made to sit more upright).

Remember, just because you can get a vehicle into Canada from overseas, doesn't mean you can get it into the States from Canada.

Perhaps a member fluent in Canadian vehicluar laws will chime in.
          Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
          2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
          2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
          2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Originally posted by ACCORDianate View Post
            My understanding is the vehicle has to be 15 years old or less, have appropriate safety equipment as prescribed by law, and adjustable backs on the front seats (this will excluede a lot of coupes that the front seats just 'fall back' into a set position and cannot be reclined or made to sit more upright).

Remember, just because you can get a vehicle into Canada from overseas, doesn't mean you can get it into the States from Canada.

Perhaps a member fluent in Canadian vehicluar laws will chime in.
            Well, if I own land in Canada, it'd be a Canadian car. Registered and insured there, with my property being my mailing address there. I would go for an R32, as they are older than 15 years, and quite inexpensive. I wouldn't attempt to import it into the US. However, I could still "visit" my home here with it I think there may be limits on how long I could keep it here, though. I might have to drive back to my Canadian property every now and then.

Comment

the way things are going in the states i been thinking of moving to canada lol ... problem is my wife hates the cold lol

Comment

That's a great idea!

Comment

hmmmm

Comment

Why buy property to do that ... just get a PO Box.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
                    dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

Comment

Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post
                      Why buy property to do that ... just get a PO Box.
                      Where would the car be garaged? At the post office?

Comment

sounds interesting. I hope this works out lol

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE View Post
                        Where would the car be garaged? At the post office?
                        hahahha

Comment

I'll check in on this Mike, I'll post it on a local forum here and I'll see what kind of responses I get. I could also ask around here to see if there's any properties. It's a great time to buy here and even though I'm not close to where you are looking, this area is great

SOLD!!
                          Boosted H22
                          375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by mozzandherb View Post
                            I'll check in on this Mike, I'll post it on a local forum here and I'll see what kind of responses I get. I could also ask around here to see if there's any properties. It's a great time to buy here and even though I'm not close to where you are looking, this area is great
                            try livin in vancouver....your average 2-3 bedroom home in my city goes for an easy 600k+....

but ive never been to P.E.I, but i have been to nova scotia....(their neighbors) as for lifestyle there....it sucks....but for scenery...breath taking! (still not as good as vancouvers...but its still amazing)

as for your car, you could say that you live rent free at my house...all the insurance place needs is a mailing adress...just find someone who will let you use their adress, then have them mail you your mail to your actual adress
                            ..[CB7][STAR]..
                            MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by mozzandherb View Post
                              I just Googled "cheap land canada" and I came up with a few real estate sites that showed some decent New Brunswick properties (which always throws me, because I'm used to thinking central New Jersey when I hear New Brunswick! )

One plot was woodland, good for a cabin or something it said... 4 acres for $6500 USD. It was already sold, though. Another one was like 2/3 of an acre, but it was ready to build on, and near a river, I believe. Had telephone wires ready to go any everything. Same price, but much less land. It was still for sale, though.

The biggest issue would be how long the car could be in the US. I mean, I could own the land, register the car up there, and keep it here... but I think there's a limit to how long the car can be here. I'm sure I'm not the first to think this way!

Comment

Working...
                              X