Oil Light Flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Light Flickering

I took my car for an oil change last week and the oil light is coming on now. There's the right amount of oil in the engine, and it doesn't appear to be leaking anything. I did some searching on the forum while I was out with the car, most of the threads point to the oil pressure switch being faulty, but I'd like to be sure before driving it much.

When it first came on, the light would flicker when idling under 800rmp, but would flash when the car was moving. I drove home (about 20km) without the light coming on until I got off the highway. The video below is what it was doing.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm taking the car to a Honda dealer in the area on Thursday, and will have it garaged until then.

Test the oil pressure switch first.

Comment

Originally posted by EsperHamid View Post
      Test the oil pressure switch first.
      How do I go about testing it? Thanks!

Comment

same as ours, the switch is between intake manifold and oil filter ... it is hard to get to it and test it without removing either the IM or Oil Filter.

anyway, check you oil level on FLAT GROUND next thing in the morning, what oil are you using ?

Comment

most likely the oil pressure switch. go oem, and use a thread sealant. do not over tighten. neither IM nor oil filter need removing.

Comment

I bet its the oil pressure sensor. My 94 did that with two aftermarket sensors and didn't have any issues with an OEM sensor.
            MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

Oil they put in was 5w30. My wife works for Honda and she has to visit a couple dealers in our area tomorrow. I'll try to pick one up tomorrow, assuming they have the part in stock. I'll update the thread when I know what's going on. Thanks all!

Comment

good luck but it's better if you test it first, in case u decided to replace, check it out for leaks before taking the car off the stands

Comment

Quick update for everyone. I spoke with the Service Manager at Hamburg Honda, he felt the switch might be on the way out too but wasn't sure. The part is about $40 (apparently). The light hasn't come on since Tuesday though, we took a long drive to the beach on Friday (350km) without any trouble.

Comment

Working...
                  X