rebuilt f22a4 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuilt f22a4 questions

I recently had my f22a4 rebuilt due to fried rings. I bored it out .5 over n replaced valves n seals on my head. I have new everything except for rods, oil pump, and balance shaft.(don't think u need a new one unless super damaged)

questions:
    1) when breaking in this rebuilt engine is it ok to go straight to synthetic oil?
    2) is Prestone coolant/antifreeze ok for it?
    3) the guys who rebuilt it assembled it completely but left of the balance shaft belt. They said it would gain me like 5-10 hp.. true or false?
    4) I/h/e, even cheap ones, will they really improve performance? (e.g. 2.5" piping, 4"muff tip, cat delete or replaced w/ straight pipe, CAI)?)

1. Yes
    2. Yes, but is a waste of money because you will need to change it soon after you add it and provides no benefit.
    3. Not really unless you did the full balance shaft delete by KS.
    4. I/H/E means intake, head, exhaust... I think you are confused about what an upgrade is. CAI is not part of that, a large throttle body on an H23 plenum with ported F22A6 runners with IABs or aftermarket intake manifold, with an upgraded head F22A6 or better with aftermarket cam and port job, with F22A6 or better aftermarket bisi type full exhaust would be an example of an I/H/E upgrade from an F22A1. Of course a tuned ECU would be needed to take advantage of that all too.

Cheap cold air intakes do more harm than good. A 4" muffler tip does nothing either.
    Last edited by wildBill83; 07-18-2013, 10:44 AM.

Comment

My f22a4 is going back into a 92 ex coupe. I really think it was swapped because usually the a6 is in the 92-93. So w/ that said, I have a6 dual stage mani. Ur saying that a cheapo depot cold air intake will do me no bueno? Also I must have the a6 ecu since I'm running that dual stage a6 mani. And although its highly not recommended, ur saying I have to tune my untunable(<~ made up word) pt6 to run an ebay header to muffler full exhaust system ?

Comment

There is some parasitic drag caused by the balance shaft and belt, but its worth it.

I4 engines are unable to be perfectly balanced, given the orientation of the rotation and the angle the pistons move.

Balance shafts are important in my mind. And I think LOTS of people agree with that. Extra vibration in the engine = shorter life, no matter how you look at it. Honda didn't engineer the shaft/belt design for nothing. There is a reason cheap ass chrysler engines that don't last 150k miles have no balance shafts, and Honda engines have them and last a million miles.

Just sayin... Honda did it for a reason.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by Guero112 View Post
          My f22a4 is going back into a 92 ex coupe. I really think it was swapped because usually the a6 is in the 92-93. So w/ that said, I have a6 dual stage mani. Ur saying that a cheapo depot cold air intake will do me no bueno? Also I must have the a6 ecu since I'm running that dual stage a6 mani. And although its highly not recommended, ur saying I have to tune my untunable(<~ made up word) pt6 to run an ebay header to muffler full exhaust system ?
          No, you are putting words in my mouth, but I'll take it slower since you seem to have missed what I was saying.

You first need to understand what an upgrade is and what a replacement part is.

If you have an F22A4 head and your running a PT6 already then you need an F22A6 head or cam to take advantage of the map on the PT6. That is a loss of power... A head upgrade would be a new cam and port and polishing or a 4+ angle valve job.

If you already have the F22A6 IABs and dual runners that works with a PT6. That's cool, but still not an upgrade so no tuning needed. If you did as I mentioned above and actually increased the volume of air intake via larger throttle body and plenum then you would need a tune and an exhaust setup at the minimum.

CAI, especially cheap "eBay" knock offs don't help you at all, in fact they hurt your motor by letting junk into your combustion chamber, that means less life for your motor. Also there is no proof that they actually improve anything on a stock motor as your bottle neck is still the throttle body opening diameter.

If you already have the F22A6 4-2-1 exhaust, that is about the best you can get with a stock motor and the cheap "eBay" exhaust you mention is more restrictive at the header and too wide for the rest of the length. On a stock motor you should not need 2.5" exhaust. That can make your motor fall flat on it's face if you don't need that much flow, seeing as you don't really have any real performance mods.

You referenced an I/H/E setup and that means IMPROVING the INTAKE MANIFOLD/HEAD/EXHAUST with something BETTER. What you are talking about is not I/H/E, in fact what you are talking about would make your motor run worse. But by all means go for it for the cool factor.

To do it right you would need to purchase all of the I/H/E parts and a tunable ECU. By I/H/E parts I mean bigger IM, improved head, and a real exhaust system that is actually improved over the factory design, not just a cheap knock off of the existing design.

I never said you need a tunable ECU to run an exhaust system that doesn't match your motor, that is your own interpretation. I said if you did an I/H/E upgrade, a real one, then you would need a tuned ECU. What ECU you chose to tune is up to you, there are a few options out there.

In the end it sounds like you are after more looks than performance, and if that is your thing then you are going down the right path. A CAI and 4" muffle tip are examples of worthless wastes of money just for looks and they will not improve anything other than your "cool" factor.
          Last edited by wildBill83; 07-18-2013, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Werd! Oh yea buddy, I was way off. Thanx for the brain food. I was gonna get those shiny ss pieces for looks n performance. My real goal is a stock engine boost. I've been doing a lot of research on it n talkin to a local Tuner w/ plenty experience m they say it is doable so before I go wasting $ on trsh ill just save up. Thanx again Broseph.

Comment

Working...
            X