Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like everyone says, its a matter of how much you are willing to put into it. With me for example, my car has and is very forgiving. I do change the oil regularly, and I make sure all my fluids are good, no leaks, and it doesnt fail my 500m/week drives. And just off the top of my head I can tell you it needs new rotors, a new rack and pinion, probably new rear wheel bearings(something back there rattles) an oil leak that I cant seem to find(changed my lower, upper, and valve cover gaskets with OEM), and a new o2 sensor. And I know I need to catch up on maintenance. But I still am gonna keep this car, why? Because even when Im super broke and negligent, its reliable.

And let me tell you this. If you get another car, lets say a newer car, whose to say it wouldnt be the same. Also, if you have money for a newer car, put that extra money in your cb, change every maintenance related thing, and leave it running well how it should be. And about the transmission, it really shouldnt be failing after only a year of being rebuilt. You should try and find a trustworthy mechanic.

Comment

Yes, like as I said, the best part is the economic, but right now that's not a valid reason because the tranny, for example, plus every weird sound, acting or leak is a headache because we know the CB's are old cars and don't wanna break it or let it be worst, and we love them (at least me). And some of us have this dilemma. I have 3 years with her, $4,000 (aprox. and counting) on maintenance and repairs, and wanna keep it, but lately I'm feeling it's not a good business. A tranny swap is not a cheap repair. And nobody wants to buy a 20yrs old car with a bad tranny.

A friend told me; I have a cousin that sells everything to the swap on $300, for me $250+ $250 approx on mechanic=$500 bucks. That would be a fine price, If I"d have the money.

Comment

I've had more than 10 cars and this one is not the oldest but the most work required and the one that more parts I bought for it. Funny thing is that I dont reach the peace goal yet. The autozone computer have everything to rebuild a CB on my phone #. If it were a girlfriend I've to dump her definitely.

Comment

Just like crazymikey , my vw passat was nice and beautiful but i spent money chasing problems even though everything was almost new.I went through 2 motors, two trans, and two sets of coilovers(at $600 a set).the car was never happy for shit and it kept blowing coolant everywhere.I gave up after i was told it needed a third motor.I left it at the trans shop stripped of all its goodies.A $2000 dollar car became around 8500 pit.

My cb7 I have owned for about 2 years now and it hasnt left me stranded somewhere EVER.I bought it for 800 with a half dollar size hole in the trans.And it still runs!so far i have put around 700 into it for maintainence and my little extras.I know this car needs work and when something major may come up its not like i cant do the work anyways.
          Pus, i get emotionally attached to any car i own and i would love to keep it til it has no more to give.I dont like the feeling of watching your old car ride past you neither.

Comment

Still fighting with this problem. The transmission; I have to start on 1st (my car is automatic). when I put it on 2nd, it doesn't apply and seems like it's at neutral. If I start at 2nd jumps to 1st and get neutral again. If. I start at D3 or D4 it's like neutral and can't run. It doesn't run on upheels, no matter if it's a small one, just getting down. I've changed solenoids, fluid is ok... I've got a manual tranny to the swap, but it was incompleteand the. expensive parts was the bad and rusty ones, so I changed my plan.

Comment

It's my first car, and I've had it for a year and a month or so. I've had to repair something every month. But it has never gotten to the point where if something is wrong it won't even start or move. Even if it's messed up all of the time it gets me where I need to go, and I do my best with the time I have and money to work on it. All the information is here and that's why I haven't given up. But like I said it's my first car I'm nineteen, if it takes me a week to fix something wrong with it and I have to take the bus to school it's okay it's just a few minutes away. If you are working, you can't be doing things like that I think you need a reliable daily driver and to set off the accord as a project car or get rid of it if you can't at the moment afford the proper parts.
              Last edited by RedFalcoln; 10-23-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFalcoln View Post
                It's my first car, and I've had it for a year and a month or so. I've had to repair something every month. But it has never gotten to the point where if something is wrong it won't even start or move. Even if it's messed up all of the time it gets me where I need to go, and I do my best with the time I have and money to work on it. All the information is here and that's why I haven't given up.
                That's the spirit!

Comment

Originally posted by El Prieto Fino View Post
                  Still fighting with this problem. The transmission; I have to start on 1st (my car is automatic). when I put it on 2nd, it doesn't apply and seems like it's at neutral. If I start at 2nd jumps to 1st and get neutral again. If. I start at D3 or D4 it's like neutral and can't run. It doesn't run on upheels, no matter if it's a small one, just getting down. I've changed solenoids, fluid is ok... I've got a manual tranny to the swap, but it was incompleteand the. expensive parts was the bad and rusty ones, so I changed my plan.
                  Something is really wrong is your car starts in 1st and is an automatic...

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                    Something is really wrong is your car starts in 1st and is an automatic...
                    He's talking about low gear select

To OP, its deffo a tough call. Fortunately mine only has 71k miles so I'm better off than most, but given your situation I would probably think about scrapping it and getting something newer. Sometimes you just gotta cut your losses and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentHydra View Post
                      He's talking about low gear select

To OP, its deffo a tough call. Fortunately mine only has 71k miles so I'm better off than most, but given your situation I would probably think about scrapping it and getting something newer. Sometimes you just gotta cut your losses and move on.
                      Autos only should start in Neutral and Park...

Have you checked the TCU?

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                        Autos only should start in Neutral and Park...

Have you checked the TCU?
                        Totally misread that, ignore me

Comment

If you love CB7s, but you are constantly having problems with the one you have, get rid of it and look for another CB. I have owned 8 CBs as well as 2 other body style Accords. I have bought other cars and for some reason I always end up getting another Accord. There is no other car that feels like an Accord, looks like an Accord, drives like an Accord. In my opinion they are the best cars around period!

Comment

Originally posted by abletuner View Post
                            If you love CB7s, but you are constantly having problems with the one you have, get rid of it and look for another CB. I have owned 8 CBs as well as 2 other body style Accords. I have bought other cars and for some reason I always end up getting another Accord. There is no other car that feels like an Accord, looks like an Accord, drives like an Accord. In my opinion they are the best cars around period!
                            I agree 110% with this.

Comment

I mean RUN, not turn on...

Comment

Originally posted by abletuner View Post
                                My other car is a 2009 corolla, it's a good car, but I feel same more comfortable on the Accord. Really it's a good car. But in my case, I have to fix it for sell it on a good price.

Comment

Working...
                                X