Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

spindle nut keeps breaking breaker bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spindle nut keeps breaking breaker bars

I've went through 3 now. I've used half a can of wd-40. So I have access to an air gun Wednesday, will this be safe? I need to keep my passenger side but replacing drivers cause of auto to manual swap. Any help or suggestions is appreciated

There is nothing unsafe about using air tools on your car

Why else do you think real shops use them all the time?

Comment

use something better than WD40, i don't think that has the power to penetrate rust. I have personally had good results with Liquid Wrench. Maybe apply heat to the nut to get it to expand a little.

Worst comes to worst, you could always cut off the spindle nut and get a new one, who cares if you damage the threads on the driver side axle because just like you said you're going to replace it with a manual one.

Comment

Did you unstable the nut? It's not normally a big deal but sometimes people stake the hell out of those nuts when putting them back on.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Are you talking about the axle nut?
          The only way I have ever used is a impact.
          Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
          93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

Originally posted by thepowderblue View Post
            Are you talking about the axle nut?
            The only way I have ever used is a impact.
            same. My craftsman air compressor and the impact gun that came with it zips it off like it was nothing. In the past i have seen my father use a breaker bar with like a 5 foot pipe to break it loose.

Comment

Also, this may be moot since you're too the point of breaking breaker bars but when I remove an axle nut I stick a #3 Phillips screwdriver into one of the games of the rotor so that it catches on the caliper bracket. Doing that coupled with someone pressing the brakes will ensure the rotor from spinning.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

either mac ,matco or strapon breaker bar should do the trick, i prefer mac or matco mainly cause snap on is overpriced 1 step better than craftsman junk. my 36" matco never let me down. not sure if your using a cheap bar or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                  Also, this may be moot since you're too the point of breaking breaker bars but when I remove an axle nut I stick a #3 Phillips screwdriver into one of the games of the rotor so that it catches on the caliper bracket. Doing that coupled with someone pressing the brakes will ensure the rotor from spinning.
                  You're supposed to remove the axle nut before you lift up the car or even remove the wheel.

Comment

Use heat. Get that mothereffer red hot and try.
                    Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
                    93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

I've used just a 1/2" ratchet with a 5 foot pipe instead of a breaker bar, less movement. Have yet to break a Craftsman 1/2" ratchet. I've never actually used air or impact on an axle nut.
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
                        I've used just a 1/2" ratchet with a 5 foot pipe instead of a breaker bar, less movement. Have yet to break a Craftsman 1/2" ratchet. I've never actually used air or impact on an axle nut.
                        lol i snapped 3 brand new 1/2 craftsman ratchets taking off the 19 mill crank bolt. thats when i decided to invest in my tools a little more.

Comment

Yeah I'm not sure why you used WD-40... PB Blaster or like dude said Liquid Wrench would probably be best. And if you have access to an impact then that would probably be ideal though I've always just used a breaker bar.
                          Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                          Lol, Jarrett why would you do that its a WHOLE lot easier to just remove the nut with the wheel still on the ground.
                          Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                          You're supposed to remove the axle nut before you lift up the car or even remove the wheel.
                          Lol, word.

Comment

Two reasons:

Most of the time I'm removing axle nuts is at the junkyard where the wheels are off and the car is in the air.

Also, I'd rather load the shaft of the screwdriver and the rotor than I would stress the axle shaft which in turn stresses the transmission. I'm not saying its not acceptable by any means. Only that I think my way is better for the reasons I gave.

Comment

ive used the long flathead technique when my car was off the ground

and on, big ass breaker bar and stand on it. lol.

-- Check out my CB -- My CRV blackhousing thread!!-- My CG coupe--

Comment

Working...
                              X