Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

im buying a junkyard tranny what can i check to make sure it works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im buying a junkyard tranny what can i check to make sure it works

like the title states im intrested in getting a tranny from a junkyard for my 90accord with the f23a1 motor swap i found the f23a1 tranny from the junk yard but it was hit from the passanger side door area but he guarenteed the tranny to work what are some of the ways to make sure the tranny isnt broken or damaged in any way i dont wanna buy a lemon. please help. also i know the car has some front end damage but it was mostly the radiator and battery compartment that took a majority of the damage there. so should i be against getting this?

Originally posted by 90f23a1accord View Post
    like the title states im intrested in getting a tranny from a junkyard for my 90accord with the f23a1 motor swap i found the f23a1 tranny from the junk yard but it was hit from the passanger side door area but he guarenteed the tranny to work what are some of the ways to make sure the tranny isnt broken or damaged in any way i dont wanna buy a lemon. please help. also i know the car has some front end damage but it was mostly the radiator and battery compartment that took a majority of the damage there. so should i be against getting this?
    check for cracks in the bell houseing and case.

my new turbo build

Comment

Make sure the Junkyard offer some type of warrenty or return policy, if they don't, then their parts could be iffy.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
      -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

you should ask around tranny shops and ask how much they charge to rebuild a tranny. and depending on the price of the tranny and the shops qoute you should by the tranny and have the shop rebuild it.

Comment

check the oil, if it's burned, if its clean or not, other than that you can't really check for other things. oh get all the sensors and torque converter if its automatic
          are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

I would say all of the above man. Really ask on the warranty bro. even if it is like 30 days. Gives you more then enough time to see if it is sticking or hesitating going in to gear at all.

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
            PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

check the magnetic drain plug, also take the front 4 solenoids, they'll have small screens, check them out, anything else

it was a hit, also, f23 is 98+ so it should be good
              only a few people that beat f23s
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

thanks for all the help i will make sure to check these things out

Comment

also if you see one that's been hit... 9 out of 10 it was running but you won't know about grinds or anything till you install it. but most jys have warranties on trannys
                  Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by deevergote
                  Don't forget to cut holes in the box. Someone sent me a dead hooker one time, and that wasn't cool.
                  Bought From: AccordWarrior | CB7lx91 | DarkShadow707| Tn_Accords | H23CB7 | Jack_lee | Fatboy1185
                  Sold/Gave To: 90goldcoupe | CB7lx91 | Jas_r34 | F20accordturbo | BatmannamtaB

Comment

Originally posted by PR CB7 View Post
                    check the magnetic drain plug, also take the front 4 solenoids, they'll have small screens, check them out, anything else

it was a hit, also, f23 is 98+ so it should be good
                    only a few people that beat f23s
                    I don't think OBD2 trannys work with OBD1 ECUs or TCUs, do they? I'm 99% sure that the OBD2 ECU has the tranny computer in it.

To the OP, you might want to check that you will be able to just plug the tranny into your stock harness. Even then, I don't know what TCU you would use.

Unless you are getting a 5 speed, in which case you should be fine. I think the speed sensor may be different though.

Comment

Originally posted by Shay91Racer View Post
                      also if you see one that's been hit... 9 out of 10 it was running but you won't know about grinds or anything till you install it. but most jys have warranties on trannys
                      That's what I was going to say. A damaged car was running. An undamaged car was junked for another reason... and that reason could be a bad transmission.

Comment

Working...
                      X