hiptech: 2004 Acura TSX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hiptech: 2004 Acura TSX

I've recently had a complete desktop failure and though I do backup my data it's been a tough slog locating everything. On top of that I'm still acquiring components to complete a new build so I've only had my phone for several months but that's another story. Recently I caved and picked up a new laptop that will serve me until the desktop is complete but that too is taking up much of my time since I reformatted the drive and did some upgrades and it just goes on and on...

So... all this brings me to today's post. After locating all my old data and pics I realized it will be approaching not only the 25th anniversary of our beloved 93SE in September but also the 15th anniversary of my TSX in July.

After completing my install for a new replacement iPod and Bluetooth interface so I decided it would be a good time to detail it and that in turn called for some new pics which I just shot early this morning. But before that I thought I'd post short timeline and a little info I saved leading up to and including it's purchase...

2004 Acura TSX
    Premium White Pearl
    6-Spd Manual / Navigation

April 05, 2003: 1st Test Drive (Bell Acura)
    April 10, 2003: 2nd Test Drive (Acura North Scottsdale)
    April 30, 2003: Contact (Acura North Scottsdale) ready to place order
    May 01, 2003: 3rd Test Drive & Negotiation (Acura North Scottsdale)
    May 07, 2003: $500 Deposit Submitted (Acura North Scottsdale)
    July 17, 2003: Purchased & Delivered (Acura North Scottsdale)

Serial Number: VIN - JH4CL95974C00****
    Date of Manufacture: 06/03

ACURA NORTH SCOTTSDALE
    Salesman - Glen Davis
    7007 E Chauncey Lane
    Phoenix, AZ, 85054
    480-538-4600

List Price = $28,990.00
    Discount = - $1,201.00
    Purchase Price = $27,789.00
    Sales Tax (8.1%) = $2,250.91
    Title & License = $550.38
    Document Fee = $249.00
    Total = $30,829.39

List Invoice Edmunds True Market Value
    National Base Price: $28,490 $25,967 $28,490
    Regional Adjustment
    for Zip Code 85048 -- -- -$107
    Color Adjustment
    Premium White Pearl -- -- -$20
    Destination Charge: $500 $500 $500

Total: $28,990 $26,467 $28,863

Accessories & Mods:
    17" Acura Silver Star Wheels - Chrome Plated
    OEM Rear Wing Spoiler
    OEM Ground Effects
    OEM Fog Lamps - Bezels Color Keyed
    V1 & Remote Install
    KPtechnologies - One Touch Sunroof Module
    KPtechnologies - Window Roll-Up Module
    VLEDS - Exterior LED Bulb Replacement
    Stainless Steel Driving Foot Pedals
    USASpec - iPod & Bluetooth Interfaces

Edmund's Editors' Review

Summary:
    What Edmunds.com Says
    Able to effectively split the line between sport and luxury sedan, the new TSX delivers on both promises with few compromise.
    Pros
    Conservative good looks, value-minded luxury, super smooth, 200-hp motor.
    Cons
    Somewhat bland styling.
    What's New for 2004
    The TSX is an all-new car although it is based on an existing European Honda.
    Overview

Introduction:
    Hoping to fill the gap between the RSX Coupe and the slightly more upscale TL, the TSX is an entry-level luxury sport sedan that will likely be most buyers' first Acura. Brands like Lexus and Infiniti have been a bit more adept at splitting the line between sport and luxury while Acura has never really got the sport part right (excluding the NSX).

The TSX certainly has a great start on its way to a true sport sedan as it is based on the European Honda Accord, a car that is much different in form and function than the American Honda Accord. That Honda recognizes the vast differences between the American and European market is just one indication the TSX is on the right track.

Of course a powerful engine is key to a successful luxury sport sedan (just ask Nissan), but the fact that the TSX gets its power from a four-cylinder might seem odd for a luxury branded car. A 2.4-liter, DOHC i-VTEC motor that makes its maximum power at 6,800 rpm doesn't seem like a power plant befitting a luxury car. Honda's 240-hp V6 would seem the perfect solution, but then again, we're not Acura engineers. On the other hand, the TSX's horsepower, torque and fuel economy numbers are right in line with such cars as the Audi A4 1.8T, BMW 325i and Mercedes-Benz C240

Acura states that the TSX cockpit is "driver-oriented" and as such, the controls are set up to give the driver a "functional and natural feeling." Seats are sporty in nature and many instruments and gauges are large and easy to read so the driver can focus on driving. Designed to further enhance connectedness to the road, the drive-by-wire throttle pedal is bottom hinged which Acura says allows for "finer control."

The TSX faces stiff competition from Euro sedans with a proven history and impressive pedigrees. Knowing Acura, the TSX will certainly offer simple and smooth precision along with just enough sport thrown in to make the car interesting. If a fully loaded Honda is not enough for you, the TSX is eagerly awaiting your first venture into a luxury sport sedan.

Body Styles, Trim Levels and Options:
    The TSX is available in only one trim. An Acura Navigation System with voice-activated software is the only option.

Powertrains and Performance:
    All TSXs come with a 2.4-liter, DOHC four-cylinder making 200 hp. Transmission choices include a six-speed manual or a five-speed automatic with Sportshift feature. Also standard are four-wheel discs with ABS, Vehicle Stability Assist and 17-inch wheels and tires.

Safety:
    In keeping with its luxury intentions, the TSX comes standard with such safety features as four-wheel ABS, stability control, xenon headlights, turn signal mirrors and front and rear head airbags. Remote anti-theft alarm with engine immobilizer is also part of the standard features list.

Interior Design and Special Features:
    Inside, the TSX offers an Acura premium sound system with 360 watts and a six-disc CD changer, plus steering wheel-mounted audio controls. The driver-oriented cockpit has large, easy-to-read gauges and controls, a bottom hinged accelerator pedal and performance-engineered front bucket seats.

Driving Impressions:
    The TSX's 2.4-liter four delivers all the sophistication you'd expect from an Acura. While a four-cylinder is usually not a luxury car power plant, Honda and Acura are able to build such refined fours that some owners may give up on V6s altogether.

The six-speed manual transmission is well suited to the 200-hp four and shifts are precise and the gates easy to find. If you're gonna have calipers as your logo, you'd better build precision cars, and the TSX hits its mark completely.

Handling is equally impressive, if not more so. The TSX rides on a separate platform than the smaller RSX and benefits from a double wishbone suspension up front with a multilink setup in back. Equipped with 17-inch wheels and tires and a standard Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) system, the TSX slices through turns with barely a hint of body roll and the VSA does its work without being intrusive. The steering provides quick, precise action necessary and torque steer in this front-wheel-drive sport sedan is almost nonexistent. During more subdued driving, the TSX never forgets its luxury branding and delivers a solid compliant ride without resorting to a soft feel.

Anyway here it is almost 15 years later and while there were some early teething pains due to it being a new model it's been very reliable once all the recalls and issues were resolved. Overall I don't regret the purchase and fully enjoy driving it...

Last edited by hiptech; 05-19-2018, 12:17 AM.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

minty. only missing black interior.
    COUPE K24

Comment

Very nice! You must have no snow there
      I have a 2004 TSX black 6 speed non-nav. I still wish I could get a 2006 or 2008 TSX with low KM as the bugs in the first gen can sometimes be annoying. (axle boot wear causes vibration, the self lubricating door hinges that don't lubricate and squeek some awful at some point, the stereo issues, the blue light center console light issue, heated seat issues, and the HP mods that 2006 has that we are missing). But I love the car! It spoils you which is nice! I've been looking for 2008 Black TSX 6 speed with sunroof for a year now, but none to be found. So I think I'm going to get a 2014 ILX 6 speed with Tech package and keep the 2004 TSX as my winter car. Oh, I had my TSX on the dyno last summer and it only made 155HP

Comment

Beautiful. Just short of 71,000 miles? Your cars always make be feel wholly inadequate at maintaining the appearance of mine.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thanks guys...

For some reason the black interior was only available in Canada during '04-'05.

Definitely no snow I do remember test driving both the auto and 6-spd back to back during early test drives. While the auto handled good the 6-spd just felt much better balanced and livelier. While I'd driven manuals most of my life ironically I never owned one before. I do feel this may have been Acura's last best mainstream models especially since the ILX has been riddled with issues. Strange how early Integras were based on Civics and were outstanding. But somehow with the ILX they got it all wrong...

I've experienced some of the issues Raf talks about but to be honest these were handled during early recalls and haven't seen any reoccurrences. Try using Mobil 1 grease and Q-tips for the door hinges I was actually unaware they are supposed to be self-lubricating. The blue light center console light issue, heated seat issues, and the HP mods are things I've never seen either.

Lastly I think the reason why my cars may appear so clean can be easily explained... dry climate, no salt and no kids
          My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
            Lastly I think the reason why my cars may appear so clean can be easily explained... dry climate, no salt and no kids
            I guess I need to move to AZ!
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
              I guess I need to move to AZ!
              C'mon out the weather is a balmy 72° F year round
              My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
                C'mon out the weather is a balmy 72° F year round
                Year round? 72 minimum maybe, I've been out there in the summer visiting Honeywell in Tempe.

Comment

Wow you definitely keep your rides clean, Hip. It's always been a toss up between wanting this or the bigger TL with the manual.

I remember back in college when I enrolled in Honda P.A.C.T , Acura had donated a TSX dressed to the nines with the top shelf parts, A-Spec bodykit including the suspension , the exact same chrome wheels with summer tires and an autopower rollbar.

I never got the chance to ride in it but I remember it handled very well for the mini auto-xs they took it too.

They definitely don't make them like they used to anymore. I wasn't a big fan of the TLX with the push button automatic and the ILX really missed that mark by a mile.
                  Henry R
                  Koni/Neuspeed
                  1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                  1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                  Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                  made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                    Wow you definitely keep your rides clean, Hip. It's always been a toss up between wanting this or the bigger TL with the manual.

I remember back in college when I enrolled in Honda P.A.C.T , Acura had donated a TSX dressed to the nines with the top shelf parts, A-Spec bodykit including the suspension , the exact same chrome wheels with summer tires and an autopower rollbar.

I never got the chance to ride in it but I remember it handled very well for the mini auto-xs they took it too.

They definitely don't make them like they used to anymore. I wasn't a big fan of the TLX with the push button automatic and the ILX really missed that mark by a mile.

Thanks for the kind words... I agree with you regarding the TL. I too was torn between it and the TSX but at the time the '04 TL had yet to come out. In retrospect I'm glad I ended up with the TSX instead.
                    My Collection:

Comment

Well I've a reached a milestone (sort of) it's the delivery date anniversary of my TSX! 17 years ago today...

As of this morning...

Last edited by hiptech; 07-17-2020, 11:30 AM.
                      My Collection:

Comment

Well, it cooled off a little outside since then. You've got a long way to go to hit the 279,000 my daughter's 2008 had when sold last year. Looking good as always.
                        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 07-23-2020, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks Paul... I wish the temps were cooler. The differences between then and now are time of day. 17 years ago when I shot the pics it was early afternoon right after I came home from taking delivery. Now a days I do car related activities around first light which is about 5:00am when it's "cool" about 90 degrees.

I suppose with all the crazy weather around the world these days this isn't as big a deal to many as it once was...

As for mileage I've never been one to drive that much over the course of time. It's always been a mystery to me how ppl can reach that many miles but I suppose everyone's lifestyle is different. What's crazy is how all these vintage cars keep showing up with regularity on auctions with only a fraction of miles.

Here's one that recently ended:
                          https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-toyota-mr2-30/

And this one still going:
                          https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-honda-crx-si-19/

It must be true right but yet I can't help be suspicious...
                          Last edited by hiptech; 07-18-2020, 07:44 AM.
                          My Collection:

Comment

Still one of my favorite designs ever. The front and rear are just perfect. Its one of the most JDM-looking USDM models that I've ever seen if that makes sense.

I still would pick one up if I came across a clean one, but often when I look for them, they are trainwrecks and living in the Northeast doesn't help lol.

Comment

Dare say I would easily give up my 2017 Audi A4 S-Line manual for a low KM 2008 TSX in good shape. Loved this car! But ya, all train wrecks around here.

Comment

Working...
                              X