Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

The neverending hesitation/missfire/stutter saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The neverending hesitation/missfire/stutter saga

How's it going guys, long time lurker first post. So a little while back I started to get a hesitation or missfire while I was driving. It was slight and only happened when the car was fully warmed up. Usually when I was on the highway as I commute 30 miles for work. Now, it is very noticible and happens all the time; cold, hot, idle, highway speeds, all the time. It isn't consistent just randomly stutters. It's so bad that when I get off the highway and go to park it sometimes sputters and dies or backfires every once in a while.

Things I've replaced so far, plugs, wires, coil, dizzy w/ignition module, engine temp sensors, o2 sensor, injectors, fuel filter, map sensor, swapped ECU, put blank between EGR valve and intake manifold, air filter.

To be honest this one is kicking my ass and I'm pulling my hair out haha. Any other suggestions? Appreciate anything you might have at this point.

I assume you have no engine codes? Have you verified correct fuel pressure? I assume you correctly timed the distributor when you installed it? New cap and rotor with the distributor? What brand 02 sensor did you use? Can't hurt to clean up the engine harness ground on the thermostat housing.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Had a code 15 originally before the distributor change, but none now. I haven't verified fuel pressure yet, I did replace the fuel pump a few years back with a walbro when I had bigger plans for the car. I marked the dizzy when I took it out and also checked timing with a light on install. Yep, new cap and rotor. New o2 sensor is Bosch. I can take a look at that ground, I've run some extra grounds but I don't know if I've checked that one specifically. Thanks for the response!

Comment

I'm almost certain your problem stems from your O2 Sensor choice, and it possibly had a bad O2 sensor before you switched it out. Bosch O2 sensors are known to give our cars problems. I would recommend you go to NGK's website and get the O2 sensor they have there for our cars.
        *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
        ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
        ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
        "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
        The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
        Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
          I'm almost certain your problem stems from your O2 Sensor choice, and it possibly had a bad O2 sensor before you switched it out. Bosch O2 sensors are known to give our cars problems. I would recommend you go to NGK's website and get the O2 sensor they have there for our cars.
          I came here to say exactly this. You beat me to it!

Comment

I'm sorry, I was mistaken, the O2 sensor I used was a Denso. Do you still recommend the NGK?

Comment

I just ordered the NGK O2 sensor and a set of their plug wires. Had some generic AutoZone wires on there now and the pricing is pretty reasonable. Fingers crossed I'll let you know what happens when I get these installed. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Make sure to look at rockauto, they have a lot of good brands for pretty cheap. Especially in the close out section.
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Yep, that's where I get most of my parts. Just haven't found the one that fixes it yet haha.

Comment

Wait, did you have a Denso before or do you have a Denso now? Denso is a major OE supplier for Honda, especially back in the day, and their reman alternators are great. However, I do not know about any O2 sensors from them.

I'm glad you got the NGK O2 Sensor, and it looks like you picked up a set of NGK blue wires as well.

If things are still not firing smooth after that, then we need to look into the dizzy you put on there next. I assume you got that from Rockauto, but what brand is it? To find a TEC dizzy online that someone pulled for a JY is ideal (or pulling one yourself if your JYs are still open), as that was OE.
                    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

I'm not sure what the original o2 sensor was but the one I just put in is a Denso. As for the alternator, I bought a reman off eBay that didn't work at all. I have a second f22 in my garage and I took the dizzy off of it to use on the car when I found damaged wires in the original dizzy. Then when I still had a code 15 I replaced the Tec ignition module with a Denso.

Comment

Well it might be fixed! The new plug wires and o2 sensor came in yesterday so I went to install them. Wires went fine but the o2 sensor has the female side of the plug and it needs to be male so I figured I'd give it a shot with just the wires. Fired it up and let it get to operating temp, then went for a little drive and no misfires! I'll see what happens on the commute today and know for sure but I think it's finally fixed! I definitely found some issues with some of the items I replaced and being that most of them were over 25 years old, it was the right move but the final thing causing the issue was my AutoZone spark plugs wires! Mostly I bought them to troubleshoot other issues with the car but moral of the story is I won't be buying their brand any more haha. Thanks everyone for your help, it's nice to see we still have a community of people willing to help and try to keep these beauties on the road! Thanks again guys!

Comment

Good to hear. I guess I'll hang on to the new OEM set I have on the shelf. If you have a multimeter, check the resistance through the wires you took off. Also curious, what plugs did you use?
                          Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-09-2020, 10:09 PM.
                          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Yea NGK is the way to go for sure. I already tossed the wires otherwise I would. I used NGK plugs too, just the copper OEM replacements.

Comment

I tried some fancy plugs once; the engine just didn't run right with them.

Comment

Working...
                              X