Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car shut off while driving, now won’t start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car shut off while driving, now won’t start.

Car: 1991 Honda Accord LX sedan 2.2l
    Other day I was driving down the interstate doing roughly 70 when my rpms dropped to 0 and the car shut off. No warning, wasn’t overheating or running bad, missing or getting bad fuel economy, just shut off out of the blue. I put it in neutral, cut the key back and coasted to the nearest exit. Car wouldn’t start afterwards. Cranks and cranks like it wants to start but won’t turn over. No check engine light, all dash lights come on when I turn the key to on, but the check engine light goes back off. I tried to jump the two pin connector to read codes and the check engine light just comes on steadily when I jump the connector. Fuel pump is engaging and I’m getting fuel to the fuel rail at the injectors. Checked for spark and wasn’t getting any so I check power to the ignition coil and it was getting power all the way to the ignition coil in the distributor but no spark. Replaced the whole distributor because it had a bad o-ring and was leaking oil. Still not starting. Going to have a friend help me check if I’m still not getting spark tonight when I get off work, but I have a feeling it won’t be getting spark. Older friend of mine suggested it might be the crankshaft position sensor? Any advice or suggestions on what it could be or what I could test to maybe narrow it down would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading.

ECU is toast

A solid check engine light (with service check connector jumpered) is for an internal rom reading error within the ECU. If you receive a solid check engine light on a stock/ unchipped factory ECU, then the internal processor is most likely bad and the entire ECU should be replaced.
    Last edited by illinois_erik; 08-11-2018, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Main relay?

Comment

check all of your grounds, make sure they are clean and tight.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

The CKP sensor will usually throw a code if it is inoperable.

Did the new distributor come with a new coil and ICM/ignitor? I had this exact issue and it turned out to be the ICM/ignitor inside the distributor.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

If you can get your hands on another ECU, give that a shot.
            Otherwise, coil and igniter tend to be the culprits in a situation such as yours. Keep in mind that brand new things can be bad right out of the box. I’ve seen it happen often, and it seems to happen even more now that these cars are old, and new/refurbished parts aren’t quite as good as they once were.

Comment

That is exactly what happened when my timing belt broke while I was driving, you may want to check to see if yours is still there.

Comment

^ X2

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

Hopefully that’s not the case. Interference engines and broken timing belts don’t mix!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Hopefully that’s not the case. Interference engines and broken timing belts don’t mix!
                    Not "always" the case, mine broke when I was passing a car on the highway at over 70 mph and I tried to start it multiple times afterwards and I didn't bend any valves. One of my friends, who is a 25+ year Honda tech says it happens, not very often but it happens, so I am one of the lucky ones I guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X