H22A swap "falling flat on its face"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22A swap "falling flat on its face"

Ok here is the deal. I have been having this problem when I go to beat on my H22. Every time I got to get the fuck outta somewhere, it will basically lose all power almost like the injectors cut off and won't catch back up until I let off the gas and slowly mash it again. When I peg it out in first, it will accelerate like a boss as normal and then when I shift it into second then press the gas, I have nothing until I left off and slowly press back in and then it will keep on taking off. It usually does this on the interstate when I am switching from 5th to 3rd and once I punch it in 3rd gear, NOTHING.

Now I do feel a SLIGHT skip when I accelerate. It just doesn't feel smooth. But I want to say thats in the chip. I have new ignition components except for dizzy. Also, my gas mileage is all over the place. Some times I can get 32, and other times I will get 26 and driving conditions are all the same.

I recently tested the TPS when I installed the engine and I used a known working one, but I haven't tested it since it happened. The o2 sensor has a bit of age on it, but its only seen 3000 miles of actual use. It was there when my ecu didn't use it, but when I installed the swap, I made sure the chip had the o2 sensor turned on.

My question is, what usually causes this issue? Has anybody experienced this before?

EDIT: I have a new fuel filter on it as well.
    Last edited by Skeet Skeet; 10-01-2011, 12:12 AM.

I think its your ECU, put a stock P13 in and see what happens

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      2x
      Take that freek show to the park, maybe the squirrels will care.

Comment

It is in the ecu.

It sounds like Q26 is bad and possibly IC14.

On another note though, have you checked your timing belt?

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
        JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Actually the ECU is good. Not to mention a p13 is not an option. A P0F is, but I don't feel like hooking up EGR, knock sensor, etc. I did try a different P28 with a different chip and it still done it. This H22A is LIKE new from when I bought it. The only thing I really had to do to it was slap on a TPS. I have a new timing belt, manual tensioner, etc. Everything was done right and I took my time doing it. It didn't do it today, but normally it does it. For some reason with this much cooler air outside, it ran exceptionally well actually. It pulled REALLY hard and drug the fuck out of 2nd. I wish it would just throw me a code and tell me whats wrong.

Comment

The description of the problem sounds like an o2 sensor issue to me.

Can you install a chip that has the o2 sensor disabled? That will tell you real quick if that's the problem.
            o2 sensor problems don't always throw a code right away.

Just because the sensor is fairly new, don't rule it out. Was it installed when you were running a chip with the o2 sensor disabled? it may have gotten fouled in that time. How rich is your map? That could result in a fouled o2 sensor as well.
            Also... are you running a Bosch sensor, by any chance? If so... that could very well be the problem. Bosch sensors don't work for our cars (ironic, since they're the company that invented the o2 sensor, I believe!) The only brands that are absolutely known to work without a problem are Denso and NTK/NGK (Denso is usually cheaper... Rockauto has em cheap.)

Comment

Originally posted by Skeet Skeet View Post
              The only thing I really had to do to it was slap on a TPS. I have a new timing belt, manual tensioner, etc. Everything was done right and I took my time doing it.
              did you set your tps it to its proper voltage. I know this can hurt you with throttle response. just asking cause you said you just slapped it on. just asking about the details.

Marry Jane

Comment

Hmmm... cooler temps and it works sounds like your IAT is only working partially, enough to not set off a code. Try swapping it out.

Also, don't rule out the O2 as Deev stated.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

i had almost the same exact issue going on and it turned out to be my injector ground wire insulation cracking and corroding very easy to fix but only figured it out after doing many things like my fuel pump, injectors, ICM and most sensors. I wasnt too upset because better safe than sorry but felt a lil dumb since it was the wiring. So check the ground wires and ground points because I only had the issue under hard acceleration.

Comment

Working...
                  X