Will 5th gen sway work on 4th gen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpazmSi
    So just to clarify the Ex from a 94+ provides a befenift of 2mm thickness, which we assume to be an increase stiffness. And given the fact that its the same diameter as the suspension techniques brand but hollow, doesn't that make the 94+ EX bar "much more better"? lol
    no the stock bar is hollow and the ST bar is solid
    -Mark-
    CB7
    CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
    Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by SpazmSi
      So just to clarify the Ex from a 94+ provides a befenift of 2mm thickness, which we assume to be an increase stiffness. And given the fact that its the same diameter as the suspension techniques brand but hollow, doesn't that make the 94+ EX bar "much more better"? lol
      theoretically yes, however:

you can google the formula for calculating the torsional strength of a swaybar and find out that:

the two prime factors of the swaybar is the length of the arms and material used to make the swaybar...if both the oem and s/t used the same material and same design, the yes oem would be better...dunno what materials they're being made out of though...design seems the same
      For Sale:
      itr mid pipe = $80 + shiping
      tr injen sri $80 + shipping

(2) Eibach ERS 600x2.5x600 = $80shipped in US

Comment

Werd I am farely sure the spring constant of the two wouldn't vary tremendously, but the design shape/length would. Oh well I am getting the EX one for 20 bucks so I'll mount it up. If ever I am buying aftermarket we'll see how it compares.

Comment

Given the propensity for understeer found in FR's wouldn't you want to make the front looser and the rear tighter? So going from a 17mm front sway to a 22mm front sway would only increase your understeer right?

I was told by my friend (and we could be wrong we're just theorizing) that the best thing to do with a car like ours would be to remove the front sway, use a thick aftermarket rear sway; and if you have adjustable shocks, set the front to the loosest setting, and the rear to the tightest. Obviously not for your DD, but in a track situation.

Am I right or wrong?

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
            Given the propensity for understeer found in FR's wouldn't you want to make the front looser and the rear tighter? So going from a 17mm front sway to a 22mm front sway would only increase your understeer right?

I was told by my friend (and we could be wrong we're just theorizing) that the best thing to do with a car like ours would be to remove the front sway, use a thick aftermarket rear sway; and if you have adjustable shocks, set the front to the loosest setting, and the rear to the tightest. Obviously not for your DD, but in a track situation.

Am I right or wrong?
            correct...however different tracks and setups will require some sort of front swaybar (i.e. tight tracks) and more open tracks (lots of long sweepers) you'll be faster with the additional grip with running no fsb
            For Sale:
            itr mid pipe = $80 + shiping
            tr injen sri $80 + shipping

(2) Eibach ERS 600x2.5x600 = $80shipped in US

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair

Am I right or wrong?
              u dont want to drive or lap an car without a front sway...

its suks ass... drove a hatch eg without a front sway and 22mm rear..its comes out too much...and its on slicks...
              welcome to the DOHC-side..muuuahahahahahah

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1906

Comment

What about the rear, since oversteer seems to be what most of us are after. My car understeers enough during autox, thankyouverymuch. Are there any Honda OEM rear swaybars that can be put on a 4th gen (let's just say an EX, since they already have a pencil-thin sway bar)?
                Last edited by crewfish13; 12-16-2005, 05:30 PM.
                I swear, eventually I'll run out of things to break.

I guess I was wrong... I broke it all. Died 10/29/06

Comment

You could try stiffening up your rear suspension a bit which will allow the accel off oversteer. Old schoold GSR's used to use this setup i think which allowed the car to oversteer when you accel off.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  I piss off people for fun.
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

FYI, because I don't think anyone has ever tried it, and just assumes that the suspension is the same throughout.

The OEM 94-97 Accord EX Front sway bar is barely a drop in affair. It is just long enough to make installation difficult to do alone and with original hardware. I was able to get it installed by myself, but the locations for the endlinks are offset. Pay close attention to how you install it and make sure you get the bar as even as possible on both sides to save your endlinks' lifespan.

Also, if you have power steering, it will run into the power steering lines. It doesn't deform them, but it does push them.

The ST may be cross-compatible because they chose a length that's in between the CB and CD bars. Definitely, an OEM 94-97 is very much a task and would scare away a casual tuner, but I really wanted the benefits so I trudged through the install.
                    blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

I know the original question was if oem 5th gen sway bars fit on a 4th gen; but just wanted to note that suspension techniques 5th gen sway bar front and rear set up will fit on the 4th gen. But it definitely is a tight fit as p5ylance stated above. I was fortunate to find a 5th gen set up on craigslist for a great price years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X