No announcement yet.

CyborgGT : 1993 Accord EX wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ With how fast even basic cars these days are getting, I'm so glad this engine will be able to handle a turbo, if I eventually cave and go that route.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Just got the bottom end back from the second machine shop. Crank polished, piston rings file fit, line hone checked, new bearings and thrust washers, and the rotating assembly was balanced.

One problem we ran into was that the flywheel bolts were barely long enough for him to thread in to balance with my Competition flywheel. Could that be because the bolts I have are from my old automatic setup - are the manual's longer? It'd make sense, flywheel vs flex plate thickness.

I might have to settle for an Accord transmission after all, though. Not sure how much longer I can hold out!

Accord Aero-R

Comment

That awesome you got the bottom end back and together!

As for the flywheel bolts, yes you are correct, I documented this in my MR.

Left side is automatic and right is manual. A good bit longer which like you said holds the thicker flywheel vs the automatic Swiss cheese flywheel
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation

Engine's still in pieces, assembly starts this weekend. I'm sure there are a handful of small parts like those bolts that I'll need to pick up along the way.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Taking a break from working in the heat right now, assembly's going well. I'm actually really enjoying the slow, methodical work. Aside from having the factory service manual on hand, I'm stopping to research every other part I pick up, so it's slow going, but I suppose that's how it should be.

Luckily I've always been very organized, so there's no questioning where anything goes, despite it being so long since this engine came apart:

Until it's cooled off this evening, this is where I've stopped. I started with the easy exterior pieces just to get rid of as many of those labeled bags as I could. That's a block heater next to the oil cooler, in case I ever need it. It does get properly frigid here, and even the RSX doesn't always like starting up on those mornings. Part number for that kit is 08T44-SJA-200A.

Crank is in and double-checked with plasti-gauge. So smooth. And damnit, looking at this picture I just realized I'm probably going to have to take that bridge back off to get to the rod bolts. In the moment, I was thinking I wanted the crank properly secured before I torqued the rod caps to spec... let's hope there's room for an extension to get in there.

*ED. - That's probably as far as I'm getting until my next weekend. The rod caps are really stuck on, so I'm taking them back to the machine shop hoping they have the right tool to separate them, rather than risk damaging something myself.
            Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-20-2020, 09:44 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Nice!!! This is moving at a pretty good pace.
              http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Damn. That thing is looking oh so fresh. I like dat! Keep up the excellent progress.
                The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Thanks, guys. I wish I had more than just weekends for time to go out to the car. Things are going smoothly, for the most part.

Today was a bit annoying, though. I'm not sure if it was an existing problem, but I just noticed that one of the oil squirters was rubbing on a crank weight. You'll see in the photo that quite a bit of material has been rubbed away, which seems a bit much for the few times I rolled the crank past it. Maybe the metal's just that soft, I don't know. But I busted out the dremel and shaved away at the crank weight until it cleared.

Kidding, of course. The only safe fix I could see was to be extremely careful with pliers and bend it little by little until it cleared, praying I didn't kink or tear the thin metal. I created a new use for left over ARP moly lube, smearing it on the weight after each squirter adjustment until it stopped scraping away. I lost count of how many times the crank came out and was torqued back to its first stage before it finally cleared.

Then finally, at 2am, I got the last of the rods torqued onto the crank - which was easy with the main cap bridge on. This engine's looking too good, I wish I could just set it up in my apartment as decoration...

Should be easy peasy from here...

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this is an NA build.
                    My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                    Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                    Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

For now, yes, but the compression is only 11.5:1, so it can still offer some very responsive boost if I want later on.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Glad to see you're still very dedicated. Working on the 3rd SWAP for the accord. Let's just say mine went through many different variations. lol.

Comment

What did your PTV clearance come in at?

Just curious. Those are some beefy pistons crowding the combustion chamber something serious.
                          The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Different shops handled the head and block, so PTV hasn't been measured. I plan on sticking some Play-Dough in there to make sure I'm good once the head's ready to go on (*ED. - I'll also be degreeing the cams; forgot about that kit I picked up), but this isn't an uncommon setup so I'm really not worried.

I ended up damaging the main crank seal in the oil pump Monday and had to order a new one from Majestic. Scheduled to be here tomorrow, along with (finally) the shifter bushings from Cheddas Auto. ESP swap mount also got in a couple days ago.

Originally posted by koslauj View Post
                            Glad to see you're still very dedicated. Working on the 3rd SWAP for the accord. Let's just say mine went through many different variations. lol.
                            Damn dude, it's been a while. How've you been?

Yeah, this CB I'm definitely not ever getting rid of. I still miss the sedan.
                            Last edited by CyborgGT; 08-03-2020, 10:43 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Alright, I'm out. Wagon's sold, H's sold. I found a new love. It's got room for two, if anyone wants to join me on an adventure.

Someone close this thread, please. kthxbye

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Haha, you keed, you keed....

...wait, you are kidding, right?

*** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                                ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                                ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                                "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                                The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                                Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Working...
                                X