Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some decent and affordable height and dampening adjustable coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
    Why do you need dampening adjustment? You likely don't know how to set it correctly if you have to ask here for kits.

Tein street basics work great and go super low
    How am I supposed to learn without having an adjustable damper?

Comment

Originally posted by yh61r View Post
      What are you trying to learn? Having an adjustable damper isn't going to teach you anything, the most it can be is a tool to fine tune a car but that is only assuming the adjustability is usable. The koni's are ok (certainly the best adjustable you can get for an accord) but they have been known to not exactly be linear in adjustment and if you buy 4 chances are that 2 will not have the same range of damping as the other two nor each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
        Tein's are soft, and not a very aggressive "performance" setup. And also, they are not meant to go super low....by running them all the way down you risk damaging them. They are really only meant to lower the car 2-2.5" max.
        you dont need aggression when it comes to performance, Super stiff =/= fast.

as the OP has not specified his intentions and just seems to want dampening because RACECAR, then no, i dont think its a good idea, and honestly, teins 1" lower than stock are right in the sweet spot. aggresive suspension is for advanced drivers with high performing cars, for a cb7 i really think tein is a great setup for motorsport duties.

its actually a studied thing, you need to understand suspension geometry first, and work on the dampening for a track specific, whereas most people use it to adjust ride quality which is 100% the incorrect way to use dampening.
        sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

you dont need aggression when it comes to performance, Super stiff =/= fast.

as the OP has not specified his intentions and just seems to want dampening because RACECAR, then no, i dont think its a good idea, and honestly, teins 1" lower than stock are right in the sweet spot. aggresive suspension is for advanced drivers with high performing cars, for a cb7 i really think tein is a great setup for motorsport duties.
          I want to lower the car as much as I see fit. 1" is not enough. I also want to take the car to the Nürburgring every once in a while, so the set has to be able to adjustable in height, not break on me while driving on the Nürburgring, and I'd like to play around with different stiffness', to learn.

I did say I wanted an occasonal trackday...

its actually a studied thing, you need to understand suspension geometry first, and work on the dampening for a track specific, whereas most people use it to adjust ride quality which is 100% the incorrect way to use dampening.
          Studied or not, I'll never know what hardening of softening something does without doing it, and tryng it out.
          Last edited by yh61r; 10-01-2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

My advice has always been to buy suspension components that are designed, manufactured, and tested by actual suspension companies. There are over a dozen full bodied coilover brands available for these cars. Only a small handful of them come from legitimate suspension manufacturers. The rest are cheaply produced Chinese/Taiwanese knockoff products. Those are often inconsistent, frequently to the point of being dangerous. Suspension components that are not properly matched, or that quickly become worn can seriously compromise both handling and braking. Not just when racing, but when driving on public roads. Compromised handling and breaking could mean the difference between a minor accident and a serious one... one that could cost you your car, your life, or your freedom.

I understand your desire to play with adjustable components, and that's fine... but don't compromise safety by getting an "affordable" setup with tons of features that you may or may not actually understand. A simple set of springs (such as H&R Race) will lower your car enough to be effective on the Nürburgring, while still being safe and reliable on public roads. Paired with a quality set of shocks, like Koni Sport (yellows), you will have a top-quality suspension setup. The Konis ARE adjustable, though I honestly don't think it's absolutely necessary.
            If you insist on height adjustment, the Ground Control sleeves mentioned are going to be better than 90% of the "full coilovers" on the market when paired with Koni Sport shocks. That setup is going to be the best you're going to get in terms of quality, safety, and adjustability. Anything more is going to be more track-oriented, and won't be ideal for daily driving.

In short, if a company doesn't actually engineer, manufacture, and thoroughly test their products, stay away. There are a LOT of companies that try to fool you into thinking they do. If in doubt, contact them. Those that are quality will proudly explain their process. Those that are not will be evasive, giving you the absolute minimum information they can. Avoid those.

Comment

Studied or not, I'll never know what hardening of softening something does without doing it, and tryng it out.
              Suspension designers do it all the time. If you can get the rates at different settings, you can predict what the car will do, assuming you know the rest of the variables. Lucky for you, Domesticated has posted camber curves for the CB on this forum...if you *really* want to know, the info is out there for you.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                My advice has always been to buy suspension components that are designed, manufactured, and tested by actual suspension companies. There are over a dozen full bodied coilover brands available for these cars. Only a small handful of them come from legitimate suspension manufacturers. The rest are cheaply produced Chinese/Taiwanese knockoff products. Those are often inconsistent, frequently to the point of being dangerous. Suspension components that are not properly matched, or that quickly become worn can seriously compromise both handling and braking. Not just when racing, but when driving on public roads. Compromised handling and breaking could mean the difference between a minor accident and a serious one... one that could cost you your car, your life, or your freedom.

I understand your desire to play with adjustable components, and that's fine... but don't compromise safety by getting an "affordable" setup with tons of features that you may or may not actually understand. A simple set of springs (such as H&R Race) will lower your car enough to be effective on the Nürburgring, while still being safe and reliable on public roads. Paired with a quality set of shocks, like Koni Sport (yellows), you will have a top-quality suspension setup. The Konis ARE adjustable, though I honestly don't think it's absolutely necessary.
                If you insist on height adjustment, the Ground Control sleeves mentioned are going to be better than 90% of the "full coilovers" on the market when paired with Koni Sport shocks. That setup is going to be the best you're going to get in terms of quality, safety, and adjustability. Anything more is going to be more track-oriented, and won't be ideal for daily driving.

In short, if a company doesn't actually engineer, manufacture, and thoroughly test their products, stay away. There are a LOT of companies that try to fool you into thinking they do. If in doubt, contact them. Those that are quality will proudly explain their process. Those that are not will be evasive, giving you the absolute minimum information they can. Avoid those.
                Couldn't agree more. I ordered Koni Sport shocks earlier today. I'll be buying some Ground Control springs from Jon sometime this week!

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                Suspension designers do it all the time. If you can get the rates at different settings, you can predict what the car will do, assuming you know the rest of the variables. Lucky for you, Domesticated has posted camber curves for the CB on this forum...if you *really* want to know, the info is out there for you.
                Thanks! I'm definitely interested. I'll be sure to check it out, thanks!

Comment

do your research before getting the Ground controls, there is a specific coilover made for the koni's if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

That's right. The Ground Control and H&R springs!

Comment

Originally posted by Bunta View Post
                      do your research before getting the Ground controls, there is a specific coilover made for the koni's if I'm not mistaken.
                      That's right. The Ground Control and H&R springs!
                      Bunta is talking about the Koni specific GC sleeve made to slide snugly on to Koni shocks. It has an inner lip that sits on the snap ring of the shocks (snap ring shown below). Where as the regular kit sits on the lower perch "cup", and is much larger to clear the shock body. Look up "Koni Gound Control" side by side with "Tokico Ground Control" and you can see what I'm talking about how they mount differently. Also, the link I posted earlier in the thread is for the Koni specific kit.

And to clarify, Ground Control uses Eibach Springs in their kits not H&R. You can however buy an H&R cup kit which uses Koni's, but it will be springs, not coilovers.

Comment

With the GC kit, you CAN literally use any 2.5" spring you want, you will just have to know what you're doing when you lower it.
                        That I would make sure to use a spring comparable to Eibach's Sportline (in terms or drop height, spring rate, coil length, etc.). H&R Race Springs (not Sport or Super Sport) would be a good comparable spring.
                        Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

That's one of those situations where I'd probably elect to trust the manufacturer, rather than try to cobble something together on my own (plus, GC sells their stuff with the Eibach springs, which can be ordered with a variety of spring rates.. there should never be a need to use springs from another manufacturer!)

Comment

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
                            Bunta is talking about the Koni specific GC sleeve made to slide snugly on to Koni shocks. It has an inner lip that sits on the snap ring of the shocks (snap ring shown below). Where as the regular kit sits on the lower perch "cup", and is much larger to clear the shock body. Look up "Koni Gound Control" side by side with "Tokico Ground Control" and you can see what I'm talking about how they mount differently. Also, the link I posted earlier in the thread is for the Koni specific kit.

And to clarify, Ground Control uses Eibach Springs in their kits not H&R. You can however buy an H&R cup kit which uses Koni's, but it will be springs, not coilovers.
                            I know. I meant the Ground Control and H&R springs are especially made for the Koni Sport shock absorbers, not that Ground Control uses H&R springs.

I also couldn't see the snap ring picture.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              That's one of those situations where I'd probably elect to trust the manufacturer, rather than try to cobble something together on my own (plus, GC sells their stuff with the Eibach springs, which can be ordered with a variety of spring rates.. there should never be a need to use springs from another manufacturer!)
                              Hyperco springs have one of the lowest variance between springs on the market. If one REALLY wanted a balanced suspension setup they'd have matched Koni's or Bilstein HD's with Hyperco's and call it a day

Comment

I ever heard of them. I’ll have to look into them!

Comment

Working...
                                X