Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Cylinder Bore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder Bore?

Ok so ive known my mechanic for about six years now and he just moved into a warehouse to restore cars for a living and he wanted to know if i wanted to do a cylinder bore on my 91 cb7? hes very talented and ive worked with him on numerous cars and have done cylinder bores with him. hes got the machine and the tools to do it but im skeptical as to the outcomes. any thoughts? i dont know what the stock bore is so idk where to start or how much to bore? he said it will boost my hp tremendously especially with a short ram and new headers. any thoughts? its not going to cost me anything so if i do or dont its not a big deal but i dont want to do something to a four cylinder if its going to harm it

I wouldnt, look how thin the cylinder walls are

Its not like a chevy 350 where you have a lot of meat and can increase displacement over boring..plus then youd have to source pistons..most of the time if you are bored over its very minimal or just a hone to take care of abused cylinder walls then getting some rings to make up the difference..

Youd be better off porting and polishing the head and gasket matching.. ..or some of these
    Last edited by illinois_erik; 06-07-2012, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Run very far away. You (or your mechanic) seem to have no idea what you're talking about. The bore is the diameter of each one of your cylinders. In our case it's 85mm. Not 85mm +/- 3mm or 85mm in some places but 88mm in others, but 85mm. It's a machined diameter. In order to increase the bore of an engine you need VERY expensive machinery which I doubt seriously your friend has. You would also need aftermarket pistons in a size that accommodate the new bore.

That is a VERY general response. I don't know of a polite way to say that your mechanic seems to not know what he's doing if a cylinder overbore was mentioned in the same breath as an air intake.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

damn that is thin, now I see why people say that the F22 sleeves are just as strong as any other honda, its still thin!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          Run very far away. You (or your mechanic) seem to have no idea what you're talking about. The bore is the diameter of each one of your cylinders. In our case it's 85mm. Not 85mm +/- 3mm or 85mm in some places but 88mm in others, but 85mm. It's a machined diameter. In order to increase the bore of an engine you need VERY expensive machinery which I doubt seriously your friend has. You would also need aftermarket pistons in a size that accommodate the new bore.

That is a VERY general response. I don't know of a polite way to say that your mechanic seems to not know what he's doing if a cylinder overbore was mentioned in the same breath as an air intake.
          hes in a warehouse restoring cars. More than likely he is a good mechanic if he is restoring cars, but restoring cars means they are all ford T buckets

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post
            hes in a warehouse restoring cars. More than likely he is a good mechanic if he is restoring cars, but restoring cars means they are all ford T buckets
            ya ya thats all weve restored is old american cars. he doesnt really know a whole lot about hondas or imports because they are too complicated for any old mechanic to work on em ya know? but thanks guys. ya thats so thin. i dont want to do that.

but he was also talking about an intake gut? idk what that means but he said each cylinder has an intake valve that you can gut and increase airflow?

Comment

the intake manifold i mean

Comment

Ok first off yes, its good that old school mechanics are still around. Even though they only work on american muscle there is still a lot of principals that can be learned from them.

Now to answer your question about the intake. Dude if you have a F22A6 you are ahead of the game but if you dont then I have no clue what to tell you. It sounds like you are a new user/ new owner to the cb7.

Read my link below and ask your mechanic to help you do a timing job on your car. Also look for the helms manual in the search bar. Yes we help people on this forum but we dont spoon feed either sink or swim my man. sink or swim. start searching for info that you want and read read read. Once you think you have a valid question to start a thread start one dont be shy. People will help you no matter how silly the question/discussion is. But of course bro start searching cause we need good members here that help others; not people that want to be spoon fed.

Comment

Originally posted by granittoCB7 View Post
                  the intake manifold i mean
                  Theres some DIYs on here where they take some specific intake manifold part gut it and then stack it with the normal one..no dont mess with your valves lol..but if you really feel the need to take it apart and fuck with shit, port and polish to the head will give you some satisfaction along with double stacking the intake (longer runners = more torque..which is the force that plants ass) if you even had the time and equipment it wouldnt be hard or take much time to take a chunk of aluminum and also make a throttle body spacer

Comment

Ok first off yes, its good that old school mechanics are still around. Even though they only work on american muscle there is still a lot of principals that can be learned from them.

Now to answer your question about the intake. Dude if you have a F22A6 you are ahead of the game but if you dont then I have no clue what to tell you. It sounds like you are a new user/ new owner to the cb7.

Read my link below and ask your mechanic to help you do a timing job on your car. Also look for the helms manual in the search bar. Yes we help people on this forum but we dont spoon feed either sink or swim my man. sink or swim. start searching for info that you want and read read read. Once you think you have a valid question to start a thread start one dont be shy. People will help you no matter how silly the question/discussion is. But of course bro start searching cause we need good members here that help others; not people that want to be spoon fed.
                    ya thanks man, i am totally new to this but i want to learn more about it because i just love my car. i know it seems like im asking for a go or no go but i dont really have anyone to teach me anything so ive been reading this forum to get some insight. im nervous to post things because i dont want to seem like some punk on here but i have no where else to learn. ill read that link for sure. i got in a pretty hefty wreck last weekend and i need to do work on it and my mechanic brought all this up so i was wondering about it. i hope to be able to contribute to the forum but its going to take time and driving for me to be able to do that and i totally understand how serious this site is so im asking my legitimate concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by granittoCB7 View Post
                      ya thanks man, i am totally new to this but i want to learn more about it because i just love my car. i know it seems like im asking for a go or no go but i dont really have anyone to teach me anything so ive been reading this forum to get some insight. im nervous to post things because i dont want to seem like some punk on here but i have no where else to learn. ill read that link for sure. i got in a pretty hefty wreck last weekend and i need to do work on it and my mechanic brought all this up so i was wondering about it. i hope to be able to contribute to the forum but its going to take time and driving for me to be able to do that and i totally understand how serious this site is so im asking my legitimate concerns.
                      Ive updated my link. Re read it please. ALso if your car was in a wreck please tell me your frame isnt bent. If its bent then there may be no way to fix it. Although there is a new machine that can align unibody frames with lasers and all sorts of dope technology. The machine even tells the tech if its possible to get the car back into spec with out having to the work. So you wont lose time or end up with a crap job. (it happened to me before) We only have like 5 of those machines here in dallas. And We have a metroplex think about that before you drop cash on your car. Just trying to safe you some cash my man.

IM BEING ExTRA nice and adding this link ... you can call or read and find out what the name of the machine is and where you could find one near you if the frame is really bad.

http://www.serviceking.com/
                      Last edited by 8ball; 06-07-2012, 11:54 PM.

Comment

you know that doing a bore would essentially mean doing a full rebuild of your engine right? parts alone arent going to be cheap. your getting into a project that will cost thousands to do correctly. and i dont know what big hp gains hes talking about but it takes a lot of careful work to make good numbers. a bore alone isnt going to do it

Comment

Ive updated my link. Re read it please. ALso if your car was in a wreck please tell me your frame isnt bent. If its bent then there may be no way to fix it. Although there is a new machine that can align unibody frames with lasers and all sorts of dope technology. The machine even tells the tech if its possible to get the car back into spec with out having to the work. So you wont lose time or end up with a crap job. (it happened to me before) We only have like 5 of those machines here in dallas. And We have a metroplex think about that before you drop cash on your car. Just trying to safe you some cash my man.

IM BEING ExTRA nice and adding this link ... you can call or read and find out what the name of the machine is and where you could find one near you if the frame is really bad.

http://www.serviceking.com/
                          the frame is solid. its all cosmetic stuff. headlights, bumper, and hood. stuff i wanted to replace or fix up anyway

Comment

i remember the "extrude-hone" that was used on some intake manifolds to smooth them out for better flow.

i haven't seen it advertised lately
                            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X