Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is Everyone Handling Our Current State of Affairs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
    That's awesome. I'm working on something similar, but with farms and local vendors.

How are you collecting orders? Do you have a site?
    we are working on a website that hopefully is up this weekend, but right now we're taking orders through facebook and payment through Venmo.

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
    Man that is awesome!!! I wish you and the wife the best! But remember, as this small business ramps up, start working on a backup plan; keep applying for full time jobs in your career path (if possible).
    She's a chef, so once things kick back up, she'll be fine if she ever wants to go back to working for someone. I'm a freelance filmmaker, I'll get my jobs just like I always do. We already have contingencies figured out if I have to take a gig. right now, I'm just doing the marketing, paperwork, and delivery anyway.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I waited 25 minutes, along with about 100 other people masked up, in line to check out at the grocery store today. It was organized, but packed. The 6' rule couldn't be implemented because the line stretched down the front of the store, looped around the secondary entrance, and then down the last isle.

Some people were only buying a few items while I had a cart full of food FTMFW. A very diverse crowd it was. Dope!

Hey, I got to promote my book in the process.
      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Been a crazy couple of weeks.

Lost my job on March 16th due to my company temporarily shutting down. I work for a small local chain coffee/dessert shop. I split my time managing the location closest to me, and working at our HQ doing inventory and deliveries for all our 4 locations. I saw the closure coming, and even though the shop falls under an "essential" business, with how slow it got, the owners decided to just shut down.

Fortunately, because I did grocery/supply purchasing for my company, I shopped at the local Smart N Final twice a week, had befriended one of the assistant managers, who always handled my special orders. He was able to get me a temporary job at the store. No application, interview etc. And while it is a sizable pay cut, I am working 6 days a week, with a minimum of 45 hours. Added into me not going anywhere or doing anything, It works out to not much of a financial loss. Plus, its a whopping mile drive from home. Was told I can stay as long as I need or want to as well, even if its past the 90 day "temp" period. So considering the circumstances, I'm grateful to be working as much as I am, even if its not quite something I wanted or expected. I have my old position waiting for me whenever things start to get back to normal, but with how things are going, who knows exactly how long that will be.

The hardest part of everything is to keep myself from hitting "buy" on all these car parts I've been staring at in my time at home
        Last edited by Corweena; 04-11-2020, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
          I work in grocery.
          Pretty much just jumped into the grocery world last month. Its fucking nuts right now lol. I previously worked in the receiving department at Lowe's, but this is on a whole different level compared to that lol. Getting about 15-20 loads a week right now (normal is like 10 max), between freezer/meat, produce, and regular shelf items.

Also being in California, where panic buying is at its worst, makes you realize at a whole new level how stupid people truly are. I've got some good customer service skills from years of experience, but maaaaaan there are a few people who have pushed me close to my limit.

Also the new "mandatory" facemask rule when leaving home went into effect yesterday. I already hate it. So hard to lift and load stuff with something over your face hindering you breathing.

Comment

Woah, the stimulus checks are going out now; we got ours this morning via direct deposit since we set that up as our means of receiving our federal refund from taxes.

Anyone else get theirs?
            *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
            ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
            ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
            "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
            The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
            Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Corweena, I sure hope they're supplying you with medical grade masks, or they're not going to filter well enough to block the virus. I'm not even bothering with extra safety precautions since it seems to me like the best you can do is a handful of half measures anyway. But yeah, next month will be my 11th anniversary in grocery... it's a shit job, but it pays well enough to live off of in my area.

I've read that the stimulus checks are an advancement on next year's tax returns, and I've also heard that they're treated as taxable income, so I'd get a definitive answer on that before you spend it if you don't need it. Me being single with no kids, I never get a return, so when I get my check, I'm cashing it out and forgetting about it until next tax season. If it ends up being a sort of 'tax forgiveness' given the circumstances this tax year, well then I guess I'll have a surprise $1200 laying around.
              Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-14-2020, 05:23 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                Woah, the stimulus checks are going out now; we got ours this morning via direct deposit since we set that up as our means of receiving our federal refund from taxes.

Anyone else get theirs?
                I meet all criteria. I'm VERY surprised to see anyone get one. Lol You are the first. But that's a good sign.

Comment

Regarding the stimulus checks, I had heard that they would be taxed at 49% on the 2020 returns we will file next year, but then I did some research and I cannot find that factoid anymore.

If it is treated as taxable income, then that makes since to me, and it should be taxed according to your income bracket. Hopefully it doesn't tip our scales and bump us into the next highest bracket, if anyone really happens to be that close.
                  *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                  ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                  ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                  "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                  Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                  The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                  Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                    Regarding the stimulus checks, I had heard that they would be taxed at 49% on the 2020 returns we will file next year, but then I did some research and I cannot find that factoid anymore.

If it is treated as taxable income, then that makes since to me, and it should be taxed according to your income bracket. Hopefully it doesn't tip our scales and bump us into the next highest bracket, if anyone really happens to be that close.
                    Incorrect. It's an advance payment of a tax credit, not your existing return given to you earlier, not a taxable item to worry about when you do your taxes in 2021.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/will...lus-check.html
                    https://money.com/stimulus-check-advance-tax-refund/
                    https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw.../#278092ec3f79

The simplest way to look at it is as follows:

Assume you make $50,000, file as a single person and your tax refund for tax year 2020 would have been $1,000 if there were no COVID19 Stimulus.

With the stimulus package credit and no check provided by the IRS this month, your refund would now be $2,200. Rather than give you $2,200 next year, they're giving you $1,200 early and your normal (non-stimulus) refund of $1,000 is still applicable. You're not "losing" your normal tax return, you're simply getting this chunk early.

Comment

Shout out to all the people who cleared six figures in 2018 and 2019. Don't let that little $1200 ruin anything. Let us all keep our heads up for one another.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                        Shout out to all the people who cleared six figures in 2018 and 2019. Don't let that little $1200 ruin anything. Let us all keep our heads up for one another.

This isn't the place for bragging. People are losing their livelihoods, have a little respect.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post

This isn't the place for bragging. People are losing their livelihoods, have a little respect.
                          No one is braggin'. I know how it feels to be left out. I have proof - lot's of it! It's people who cleared six figures that are still struggling.

IE: A father of three with a mortgage, two car payments, credit card debt, and the wife is a stay at home mom. Even people like this making $105,000 could've benefitted from that $1200. Granted, it is an advance on 2020's tax returns. Nevertheless, people like the mentioned exampled, I'm telling them not to fret. Ya dig?

This too shall pass.

I could elaborate, but it's no need. My testimony speaks for itself. Prayers out to those struggling.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

No one is braggin'. I know how it feels to be left out. I have proof - lot's of it! It's people who cleared six figures that are still struggling.

IE: A father of three with a mortgage, two car payments, credit card debt, and the wife is a stay at home mom. Even people like this making $105,000 could've benefitted from that $1200. Granted, it is an advance on 2020's tax returns. Nevertheless, people like the mentioned exampled, I'm telling them not to fret. Ya dig?

This too shall pass.

I could elaborate, but it's no need. My testimony speaks for itself. Prayers out to those struggling.
                            The people in your example would get $3,900, FYI. Also, as I posted above with links, this is not an advance on your tax return, it's an advance payment on a eligible credit.

Your original post in the context of this thread is in poor taste. My inference is that you make over $100,000 and as such aren't eligible for the stimulus program. That's great, but expressing it in this thread where people are sharing their suffering is in poor form. There are plenty of ways to express support without inferring you make a lot of money.

Even if you don't make over $100,000, calling out to people who do in a thread like this again is in poor form.
                            Last edited by AccordWarrior; 04-15-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

The people in your example would get $3,900, FYI. Also, as I posted above with links, this is not an advance on your tax return, it's an advance payment on a eligible credit.

Your original post in the context of this thread is in poor taste. My inference is that you make over $100,000 and as such aren't eligible for the stimulus program. That's great, but expressing it in this thread where people are sharing their suffering is in poor form. There are plenty of ways to express support without inferring you make a lot of money.

Even if you don't make over $100,000, calling out to people who do in a thread like this again is in poor form.
                              That's assuming the kids aren't in college being claimed as dependents and the wife files a joint tax return. You are aware parents go into debt helping their children through college, right?

A guy working at Boeing, three kids in college (not dependents), and the wife, well, she does her own thing while claiming head of household...

And in the words of S.C.C., "I say what I feel, and you can adjust to that!"

Also, no where did I specially mention I personally cleared six figures. Whether I cleared six figures, just barely cleared seven figures, or made under ten-thousand dollars in the last two years, you'd never know. Just know, any genuine person needing some help and support in these troubling times, if and when I got it, they're good. I don’t need to brag about the people I help. That’s shows growth in the humility department.

As far as the semantics about the stimulus check, you mentioned an eligible credit. A credit on/for what? Someone's 2020 tax return. Yeah.

I'm not going back and forth about this. Real rap, greedy corrupt people created this situation, but that's another story. Anything else, you can call me or PM me. We can discuss this like men, but honestly, it’s not a big deal.

Be blessed.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

That's assuming the kids aren't in college being claimed as dependents and the wife files a joint tax return. You are aware parents go into debt helping their children through college, right?

A guy working at Boeing, three kids in college (not dependents), and the wife, well, she does her own thing while claiming head of household...
                                Okay, but if you're going spin details, please do your research. Your hypothetical family of 3 makes $105k AGI, correct? You might want to up that amount.

https://www.taxslayer.com/coronaviru...lus-calculator

Head of household, 3 kids over 18, 105k AGI, still eligible. Cutoff for head of household is $112,500 before reduction up to $136,500. That's AGI, before deductions.

Originally posted by Straight Success
                                And in the words of S.C.C., "I say what I feel, and you can adjust to that!"

Also, no where did I specially mention I personally cleared six figures. Whether I cleared six figures, just barely cleared seven figures, or made under ten-thousand dollars in the last two years, you'd never know. Just know, any genuine person needing some help and support in these troubling times, if and when I got it, they're good. I don’t need to brag about the people I help. That’s shows growth in the humility department.
                                We are operating in a thread where people are losing jobs, eking by with whatever they can. Calling out to people in the six figures is tone deaf.

Originally posted by Straight Success
                                As far as the semantics about the stimulus check, you mentioned an eligible credit. A credit on/for what? Someone's 2020 tax return. Yeah.

I'm not going back and forth about this. Real rap, greedy corrupt people created this situation, but that's another story. Anything else, you can call me or PM me. We can discuss this like men, but honestly, it’s not a big deal.

Be blessed.
                                I posted multiple links above:
                                Incorrect. It's an advance payment of a tax credit, not your existing return given to you earlier, not a taxable item to worry about when you do your taxes in 2021.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/13/will...lus-check.html
                                https://money.com/stimulus-check-advance-tax-refund/
                                https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertw.../#278092ec3f79

The simplest way to look at it is as follows:

Assume you make $50,000, file as a single person and your tax refund for tax year 2020 would have been $1,000 if there were no COVID19 Stimulus.

With the stimulus package credit and no check provided by the IRS this month, your refund would now be $2,200. Rather than give you $2,200 next year, they're giving you $1,200 early and your normal (non-stimulus) refund of $1,000 is still applicable. You're not "losing" your normal tax return, you're simply getting this chunk early.
                                This explains exactly how the stimulus check works. I don't see a need to PM in this situation. Anything you want to say to me is fine to say in this context. I maintain it's a tone deaf comment and can easily be construed as a flex. As I stated in the context of this thread, it's poor judgement.

Comment

Working...
                                X