Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

93 CB7, Startup issues with 1 of 3 problems that I have no idea how to encounter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 CB7, Startup issues with 1 of 3 problems that I have no idea how to encounter.

So, I’ve driven my 93 accord for quite some time now, about 3 years I’d say.
    Offcourse it leaks oil, it’s completely stock (except for the sound system lol).
    And ever since I actually started getting into cars more, and playing around with my beautiful little antique car, I noticed something that I did, and I thought I broke my car.

I tried out-revving my buddies 2003 Cherokee...
    I won.
    But once I started redlining my car all this white smoke blew out, and it stopped after a minute or two went by.
    That was quite a few months ago,
    But just yesterday I went to start my car,
    And it wouldn’t turn over, it was attempting too, spark going, battery’s alive, and then I tried pushing the gas pedal, it didn’t help but after a couple more tries it did cut on,
    As it blew huge clouds of white smoke out the exhaust.
    Which stopped a few minutes later.
    But anytime I do a pull or do a 0-60 to time myself, that white smoke comes out whenever we hit past 4.5rpm

Now, I would assume immediately my head gasket blew.
    But after driving it around and the smoke not being a constant, I’ve come to the conclusion that just can’t be it?

So somebody came to me and said I should think about my carbon buildup,
    And phew...
    Was I smacked with a feeling of idiocy,
    I don’t even know what carbon buildup is!
    So this post is to ask,
    For a cb7 specifically,
    How you would clean the carbon buildup out of your car, and what areas would it reside in most.
    Should I rip my throttle body and valve control off and clean them?
    Should I replace my cat converter and my exhaust completely?

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
    I’m Ant, 21, from Virginia Beach.
    And would love to meet some more CB7 owners.

Best way to clean carbon without being to invasive is with sea foam. You divide it into 3 parts. 1 part into your gas tank with with a couple gallons left in it, 1 part in your oil (pouring it in where you fill you oil) and last part through your vacuum. You did this by pulling one of you vacuum hoses while the car is running and letting it slowly “sip” it into the system. If you start letting it “sip” too much the car will die, so be patient. Let the car continue to run for 5 mins after you finish the vacuum part.

Then kill the motor let it sit for 30-40 mins. Then go for a drive. BE WARNED IT WILL PRODUCE A LOT OF WHITE SMOKE once you start the drive. It will eventually clear out. I would do this about 100-200 miles prior to your next oil change.

Though I haven’t heard of carbon build up being a problem for our cars. White smoke like you said is indicative of coolant in the exhaust.

Easiest way to see for blown Headgasket is check your oil for chocolate milk or look in your coolant. There should be little to none oil specks on your radiator cap and your coolant should be a bright color.

Have you checked your spark plugs? Are the tubes covered in oil?
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Only time I had huge clouds of white smoke was after getting a rescue project running (it had overheated and someone started a head gasket change); it had been sitting a while and I think the exhaust system had a fair amount of water/coolant sitting in it and I had to heat the exhaust up to boil it all out.

If you've been driving it regularly, it shouldn't have water accumulated in the exhaust. If it continues to smoke at high revs, it might actually be a head gasket leak; it can allow coolant directly into the cylinders without it showing up in the oil, or oil in the coolant. A pressure check of the cooling system might reveal this type of leak; if you have some kind of scope, you could actually look in the cylinders through the spark plug holes for evidence of coolant after pressurizing the cooling system.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Oil in the spark plugs

Yes, that’s a huge issue I’ve had for about a year. Offcourse driving like that is reckless, but it’s my first car and she’s lived so long I didn’t wanna do anything to her that would cause me to slap myself in the head.

So, there is oil around the spark plug tubes when I pull them out.
        And I’d say I’m ready for an oil change, but I just tend to change the filter every 4-5k miles because of how fast it leaks it.
        Sometimes it leaks slow, other times fast.

Should I get a specific type of oil / brand to help prevent that, and what info can you give me based on the oil being all over the spark plugs?

Comment

Originally posted by YahaAnt View Post
          Yes, that’s a huge issue I’ve had for about a year. Offcourse driving like that is reckless, but it’s my first car and she’s lived so long I didn’t wanna do anything to her that would cause me to slap myself in the head.

So, there is oil around the spark plug tubes when I pull them out.
          And I’d say I’m ready for an oil change, but I just tend to change the filter every 4-5k miles because of how fast it leaks it.
          Sometimes it leaks slow, other times fast.

Should I get a specific type of oil / brand to help prevent that, and what info can you give me based on the oil being all over the spark plugs?
          Oil on the spark-plugs is likely due to aged tube-seals (very common problem on our cars). Also as a preventive maintenance item (and due to the sudden onset of the mentioned issue), when was the last time you replaced/checked your PCV valve was functioning properly?

In regards to your oil-leak, do you have any puddles on the ground / any obvious leaks around any other seals (oil pan, distributor, valve-cover gasket, timing-belt area, transmission [e.g. rear main seal]?). If not, then it means your burning that oil (and old spark plug tube seals would definitely cause you to burn some, would also explain your starting issue if oil is seeping/soaking the spark plugs after sitting + smoke on startup).

Also, to double-check the above diagnosis, are you burning/losing any coolant and having to top that off at all? (I've faced the head-gasket demon myself, wouldn't eat coolant, would instead pressurize the coolant system with exhaust gasses until coolant overflowed out of the overflow container.)
          Last edited by cloudasc; 05-30-2020, 06:50 PM.
          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

i’ve seen em do the same white smoke with worn out piston rings

Comment

White smoke would be coolant. Piston rings wouldn’t cause that. Piston ring issues would result in blue smoke.

Comment

Working...
              X