Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Ideas for AWD CBs! Motors? Drivetrains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    Probably because, like on this site, there's always some noob with this great idea... and very few ever follow through.

RWD Probe would be cool to see. I've never seen one. They were pretty neat little cars for what they were. FWD was a bad platform for a sporty car like that, I feel. The Probe was more of a Prelude competitor than the 240sx competitor it should've been. Especially since it damn near replaced the Mustang!
    There's one being built now on probetalk using a kl motor. 2 or 3 have 2jz's and one has a ls in it.....pretty cool

Comment

Well on a more serious note. Would it be possible to use the AWD drivetrain from the CRV, on a CB7? I know it would involved quite a bit of custom fabrication, I don't plan on doing it soon, but with the right gearing and a turbo K20 set up, I think it would make for an awesome track car.

VTEC by birth, not be choice.

Andy's Auto Sport: Comptech Battery Tie Down, "It will look so trick that your car will think it has more horsepower!"

DumbleDore!'s CG
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199312

Comment

The prob with the CRV AWD is it is not FWD biased at all. And it uses a weird system to send power to the back (oil pumps). Plus with the fabrication necessary, you might as well go with a non-Honda system. I always thought it would be cool to have an AWD RSX with the CRV/Element gearbox, but when I looked more into it it looked less and less viable. RT-AWD sucks and SH-AWD is way too complicated.

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

You didn't read the thread, did you DumbleDore? This has already been discussed.

I don't know why people always gravitate toward the non-performance-oriented Honda AWD systems. They would be no easier to implement than a proper performance system from Mitsubishi, Subaru, or Audi.

Comment

Would an old STI system be better ? Like the 98 RS.
            10th Anniversary Accord.
            05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

What about the system from a 95 Grand Cherokee!!??!

Comment

Mr Hogwarts here got his panties in a bunch and deleted this thread, but I feel it's rude to do that, seeing as other people have been participating in this conversation (even if he can't be bothered to read what people say in response to his thoroughly unresearched idea...)

An AWD system that uses a transversely mounted engine like we have would be the most practical setup. A Subaru setup would be difficult, unless you swapped the engine in as well. The Subaru boxer is longitudinally mounted, like a RWD engine.
                The best options would likely be Mitsubishi or Audi.

Comment

Mr Hogwarts here got his panties in a bunch and deleted this thread, but I feel it's rude to do that, seeing as other people have been participating in this conversation (even if he can't be bothered to read what people say in response to his thoroughly unresearched idea...)

An AWD system that uses a transversely mounted engine like we have would be the most practical setup. A Subaru setup would be difficult, unless you swapped the engine in as well. The Subaru boxer is longitudinally mounted, like a RWD engine.
                  The best options would likely be Mitsubishi or Audi.
                  I deleted the thread, because the thread is for ideas on the swap fore mentioned. Not so that I could check responses expecting serious replies, and reading a bunch of smartass remarks. Plus, everyone went off topic. I was going to make a new thread where people could post ideas about AWD swaps, and what drivetrains and motors they thought would be cool or would work. And if there already is one, then burn me at the stake for mentioning the possibility of posting a repetitive topic. I hadn't searched it yet. I may just change the title on this thread.

Andy's Auto Sport: Comptech Battery Tie Down, "It will look so trick that your car will think it has more horsepower!"

DumbleDore!'s CG

Comment

If that is okay with everyone.

DumbleDore!'s CG

Comment

It got back on topic.

If you want to ask, research. It will limit the smartass comments. Nobody wants to spoon-feed you such a radical idea. Without serious consideration, any AWD swap is just as good as any other. What I said above about the Mitsubishi and Audi layouts is about as far as you're going to get without discussing how to hack up the Accord's unibody.
                      A good amount of information was given in this thread, among the off topic comments (it IS in the "off topic" section, after all...) If you really want to discuss it, I suggest you read what people say regarding your questions. If you delete the thread and make a new one, you're essentially telling all who gave serious input "fuck you, I didn't like what you had to say. try again!"

Comment

It got back on topic.

If you want to ask, research. It will limit the smartass comments. Nobody wants to spoon-feed you such a radical idea. Without serious consideration, any AWD swap is just as good as any other. What I said above about the Mitsubishi and Audi layouts is about as far as you're going to get without discussing how to hack up the Accord's unibody.
                        A good amount of information was given in this thread, among the off topic comments (it IS in the "off topic" section, after all...) If you really want to discuss it, I suggest you read what people say regarding your questions. If you delete the thread and make a new one, you're essentially telling all who gave serious input "fuck you, I didn't like what you had to say. try again!"
                        If you read the original topic, I was asking what people thought of the radical idea. Wasn't asking people to give me a DIY.

I have read ALL the comments. I'm wasn't disregarding their opinions or thoughts, many just weren't relevant to the OT. I renamed the thread. I appreciate the serious input, for those who gave it.
                        Last edited by DumbleDore!; 03-07-2013, 11:21 PM.

DumbleDore!'s CG

Comment

Should just forget about it altogether.

Not to take away from people who give serious replies(because if I had the insight, id have replied), but like maybe 10 people on this forum have the money to dump into a project like this, and they're not doing it because there isn't really any gain to do so.

Not saying dumble doesn't have the $, I don't know you, but it's just a HUGE undertaking and unless you have literally thousands of dollars to throw at it and someplace to do R&D and A FUCKTON of time, then I wouldn't even get serious about talking about it.

At least don't get butt hurt, it's not worth it. It's fine to throw around idea's, but people tend to like actions over words here and unless you're bringing serious idea's to the table, we have heard it all before.

Comment

Some threads should die. With that said, a new thread about essentially the same thing after deleting this one is just... serious?

To the OP, nobody posted a DIY, we threw out legitimate ideas on possible AWD options, and you are lucky tbh that you got as many good ideas given without much real flaming. This is exactly the kind of thread that needs to not necessarily grow, but stay put for future people with the same ideas to read. One of the reasons we are big on searching here is because this forum is a wealth of good information on every possible idea. HT, 5th gen accord forums and other forums often reference CB7tuner for information on different motor swap information, because we have good members who have put in VERY good information.

With that said, if it upsets you because say, you have the available donor car and hours and equipment and $$$ to actually do the swap you posted in your OP, then you should say that so you don't get upset at general ideas. Otherwise, no post I have seen in here is really unwarranted, and you have been given as good of information as you will get from us based on your posts.
                            My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

Well, my observation after being on internet forums and seeing various build threads is that if you are posting on a forum looking for ideas then you aren't serious about the build and will never do it. If you were serious about making an Accord AWD you'd be in your garage with a sawzall right now.
                              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Here's the BEST, CHEAPEST, EASIEST way to make an AWD cb7.

1. Build a custom frame.
                                2. Mount a awd drivetrain to the custom frame.
                                3. Hack apart cb7 to be able to mount a unibody car to a frame.
                                4. Attach cb7 body to frame and create a custom floor (the car could be body dropped at this time if you want it to look lower without any drivetrain components being lowered).
                                5. Now you have an awd cb7. I honestly feel like this would be less work than trying to install an awd system into a stock cb7 without creating a frame for it. (I spoke to a shop that could convert my car to rwd corvette power and that was about the same process they would take to do it).

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                                Well, my observation after being on internet forums and seeing various build threads is that if you are posting on a forum looking for ideas then you aren't serious about the build and will never do it. If you were serious about making an Accord AWD you'd be in your garage with a sawzall right now.
                                AMEN, please refer to the member who is trying to swap in a skyline rwd set up into his cb7. IIRC he did ask for some info, but he pretty much just started working on it and trying to do the swap. He didn't just throw ideas around for months on end. He just started to work on it.
                                Last edited by oni_cb7; 03-08-2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X