Inexpensive fuel pump replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inexpensive fuel pump replacement?

I'm quite sure that my car needs a new fuel pump. I want to replace it as cheaply as possible, just to get my car back on the road.

Pumps on RockAuto range from $23 to $180. Some come with strainers, some require strainers. In doing some reading, it looks as if some strainers won't fit on some pumps... it's all far more confusing than I'd like it to be!
    What is the absolute cheapest fuel pump I can install in my car, and what else will I need to make it work? I'm not expecting it to last a long time. I don't need it to.

Ideally, I could grab one of those $23 pumps. Get the car running. Then in the future, replace the entire tank (as I had been planning), and get a high quality pump in there in the process. The full tank/pump replacement is going to cost at least $500, and I just don't have that to throw at the CB at the moment.

Here's a link for a source with cheap pumps with a 2 year warranty
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...OKsg_7HdrJJELw
    CB7TUNER.com
    Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Spectra Premium pump from RockAuto for $25.

Comment

Have you used that one, Josh? That's pretty much what I'm looking for!
        Would it just bolt in without anything special? I suppose that's my biggest concern. I don't want to buy something and discover I need to buy a bunch of other things to make it work. I don't even care if I simply reuse my old strainer. It's a temporary fix. I just want the car mobile again ASAP, so I can decide what my next step is!

I also see that they have a Spectra tank/pump/strap set for only $250! That's pretty damn reasonable for everything.

Comment

I don't have a lot of time to go into detail right now but yes, I have installed one that was handed to me to put in a CB for someone and it did work and is still working.

As for direct replacement I believe I had to alter the wiring just a bit which sometimes happens.

I will be back on later when I have more time.
          Last edited by H311RA151N; 03-20-2015, 01:16 AM.

Comment

I'm using the $23 rock auto fuel pump and it's working out so far for my J30

Comment

Cool. I'd expect it would at least work for a while!

My biggest concern is installation. I really just want to see if I can simply slap it in, or if I have to modify things (like the wiring and such...)

It's something I'm going to want to do in a day. If I let it sit, it'll end up like my friend's car. We dropped his tank a year and a half ago... and haven't touched it since. His car, like mine, has turned into a toolbox.

Comment

I replaced the failing pump in my 93 2 weeks ago. I went with the Spectra pump and strainer (sold separately but both were branded spectra)

I haven't driven the car more than around the block, so I can't speak for reliability, but the install itself was relatively straight forward, as there was no wiring modifying necessary.

Comment

I remembered the specifics a short time after getting off earlier. OEM has stud type electrical connectors with nuts and some aftermarket pumps have an electrical connector. The Spectra pump is OE style (studs) so no modification is needed.

An Accord that has had an aftermarket fuel pump assembly installed previously may have the connector style. Or if someone put a connector type aftermarket pump in. It's just my luck that I have ran across the connector style in about every Accord I have replaced a fuel pump on.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 03-20-2015, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Awesome. So I should just be able to slap that one in and be good to go? The Spectra strainer is only $7, so I'll grab that as well (not much to get confused about there!)

Comment

I have a used working pump if you want it deeve.

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4

Comment

Sure. How much? If it's less than $25, it'll be worth saving a few bucks for a temporary fix!

Comment

Free , if you promise to put that cb back on the road.

Comment

Hell yeah. Can't beat that!
                            With any luck, this is all it needs to run again. Then I just need a new door so I can have a working driver's side window again... and it's good to go! It'll be ugly... but mobile!

Comment

You got a deal buddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X