Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Can't shift into Reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
    Though, I have 50/50 mix of 10W30 and Synchromesh in my transmission......

From a phone conversation I had with a tech rep from Pennzoil, the producer of Synchromesh (don't know about GM brand), it is not recommended to use this product, Synchromesh, in our cars.

Just so you know.......
    I have Pennzoil Synchromesh here as well. Can you elaborate on your conversation with the Pennzoil rep, maybe in another thread if it's not relevant here?

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
      I have Pennzoil Synchromesh here as well. Can you elaborate on your conversation with the Pennzoil rep, maybe in another thread if it's not relevant here?
      I dont see where it matters what was said over the phone.

Many very reputable members here have used Syncromesh for years with great results. And I doubt someone who answers phone calls is qualified to answer the question at hand however, anytime you talk to a company about using a product for something that its not intended for they will almost always say they do not recommend it. Will soaking carburetor parts is Sea Foam hurt anything? Of course not but will the representative on the phone advise it? Very unlikely.

The reasons for this is they simply dont want the risk even if it is very very minuscule. If a company tells a guy named Joe that its ok to use product A for job B and its not designed for job B and Joe comes back later with a problem that may or may not be related to using product A the company can be held liable either way.

Thats why it doesnt really matter what Penzoil said. Its the persons job on the phone to tell you not to use it if your asking about using it for a purpose its not designed for even if they know damn well it will work and work well. They do that to cover their ass. And like I said, they are paid to answer phones anyways... Its not like they engineered the stuff.

Comment

What you are saying could be very true, IMHO.
        But, they have much better credential speaking their products than end-user- mechanics, let alone some back yard half-ass-educated mechanics.
        These tech reps have engineers to back up their products through controlled lab testing and such.

Anyone can shoot BS all day long guarded with plausible theory and numbers, pretending they are the shit. Some one who's listening with no knowledge can go, "wow" to that. And believe that BS. He is reputable!!! WOW!!

I've seen a member or two here saying it is OK to surpass the torque value set by the manufacturer, because they do that all the time. "It is OK to tighten as much as you can. Stop it just before you break a bolt". Wow, really? How do you know that bolt is just about to break, before it actually break?

Well, I got side tracked here.

My point is that you can use any products you want to use on your car. But recommending or suggesting something else other than what a manufacture says is not such good idea. Not to me anyways.
        A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
          What you are saying could be very true, IMHO.
          But, they have much better credential speaking their products than end-user- mechanics, let alone some back yard half-ass-educated mechanics.
          These tech reps have engineers to back up their products through controlled lab testing and such.

Anyone can shoot BS all day long guarded with plausible theory and numbers, pretending they are the shit. Some one who's listening with no knowledge can go, "wow" to that. And believe that BS. He is reputable!!! WOW!!

I've seen a member or two here saying it is OK to surpass the torque value set by the manufacturer, because they do that all the time. "It is OK to tighten as much as you can. Stop it just before you break a bolt". Wow, really? How do you know that bolt is just about to break, before it actually break?

Well, I got side tracked here.

My point is that you can use any products you want to use on your car. But recommending or suggesting something else other than what a manufacture says is not such good idea. Not to me anyways.
          I wast taking to you, I was talking to reklipz. Sorry for the confusion. And why bring up someone that you know I know who your talking about and whos my friend? Because you like starting shit. Thats why.

Anyways, Syncromesh has been used by members here with no problems that I can find. My 90 has it. I didnt put it in but the last owner was a member here and he put it in. 15,000 miles or so using so far.
          Last edited by TAMPA; 06-19-2013, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMPA View Post
            I wast taking to you, I was talking to reklipz. Sorry for the confusion. And why bring up someone that you know I know who your talking about and whos my friend? Because you like starting shit. Thats why.

Anyways, Syncromesh has been used by members here with no problems that I can find. My 90 has it. I didnt put it in but the last owner was a member here and he put it in. 15,000 miles or so using so far.
            i agree. i would even use syncromesh in my new trans. i have never heard a problem with syncromesh in our transmissions. all i have heard is god things which to me, out weigh the bad shit i have heard about honda mtf
            visit vgruk

Comment

I agree with everything everyone has said. as mentioned, I use Synchromesh in my car as well. I was curious on the details for exactly the reasons you mentioned TAMPA. It's pretty easy to tell a canned answer from one that is actually based on thought and intellect. perhaps the rep explained his reasoning, or oyajicool was able to conclude something from the conversation, and that would be a valuable data point.

I've heard lots of anecdotal "good stuff" as well as "bad stuff.". Some emperical evidence would be nice, and perhaps oyajicool was able to get the rep to give some details.

Comment

You are more than welcome to make the call yourself in order to avoid second hand information from me. You can get the phone number from their web site as I did a long time ago.
                A&P-IA

Comment

Cool thanks guys. I haven't had any problems since. Yeah I have read on here and on other random forums on how sychromesh has helped them. That's one reason why I went with it than just plain 10w30. Which I used before to.

Comment

Working...
                  X