Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Cat-Back or Muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cat-Back or Muffler?

OK...

I can finally start getting crap for the Accord very soon...so here's a few questions...

1. Have you ever heard of a company that is made by (more or less) Toucan called "Evotion"? They seem to have nice exhausts and springs. Does it seem good in your opinion?

2. I know that a cat-back or axle-back system is better than just a muffler...but having said that... How much is it (approximately) to weld on a muffler at a shop? Would it be like the same as just getting the muffler as a cat-back? For instance...I'm looking at the Ractive system (Something cheap untill the swap later ) The muffler is like 140 or so. The cat back is like 260. Help!!!

Also...I have the F22A6 with 140HP. With a new exhaust and an AEM cold-air intake would I be at like 150 or so? Would it be more like torque or just overall power?
    + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

Im pretty sure that Toucan Industries is Ractive, if i were you id buy a muffler for now and get it welded on fro around 50 bucks, thats how much i paid, u can cut it off later and sell it to a friend, plus they sound nice with a 5 speed, with an auto u cant hear it in 4th gear........... another thing u can do is find a muffler u like and get 2.25" piping from the cat to the muffler, and get a high flow cat for like 30 bucks.............. ebay is your friend..... go there and type in Ractive and they will have at least 5 pages of mufflers and shit, i am a fan of ractive, my buddy has everything on his civic ractive, DTM muffler, sounds badass with 2.25", ractive intake, has a nice sound to it. so take a look on ebay. another thing you should do is find the cheapest intake on ebay and buy it, then throw a k&n filter on it and ur set..........

Comment

Toucan/Ractive/Eurolite gets knocked as being like Tenzo or APC... but even though they are a lower priced brand name... I've always had good luck with the parts I've had made by them...
      Although I only have experience with a couple of Eurolite items...and they are looks items... but I thought they were of decent to above average quality and they've lasted me a good 2-3 years now without a hiccup...

Anyways... back on topic...

If you want the sound/look I'd get just a muffler...
      If you want the performance I'd get a full catback...
      If you want the sound/look now but will be possibly upgrading in the future I'd get the axleback...

Ractive sells a 2.25" resonated SS cat to axle back mid pipe.... so you could always upgrade later...
      RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Re: Cat-Back or Muffler?

Originally posted by JDM CB
        ... axle-back system is better than just a muffler...
        axle back is just a muffler.

Comment

Re: Re: Cat-Back or Muffler?

Originally posted by Lithium92
          axle back is just a muffler.
          Negatory...

an axle back system is usually considered a muffler and piping (w/flange) to the flange by the rear wheel...

An axle back is a true bolt on whereas a muffler usually requires welding...
          RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

ahh well... i always considered that small flange along with the muffler as part of the muffler.

Comment

Originally posted by Lithium92
              ahh well... i always considered that small flange along with the muffler as part of the muffler.
              I bet a lot of noobs who buy just a muffler on egay are thinking the same thing...

only to be disappointed later...
              RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

Alot of my buds have ractive mufflers and they don't have any problems. They sound nice too I think. Thanks for the info y'all!
                + '93 Accord EX - CB7 - Frost White w/ Dark Blue = teh s0ld (ilikebigbutts)

2006 Cobalt SS - 2004 Monte Carlo SS - 1990 CRX Si

. Snail Squad .

Comment

something i would suggest is look up that revshotracing dude on ebay all cb7tuner members get 10% off and last i check he had mufflers and intakes at a starting price of like 10 bucks... check it out...

Comment

not to hijack this thread or anything, but I have been looking for a cat or axle back with dual tips like the stock ex muffler. OBX makes a DTM style cat back and I know Remus has a dual tip axle back but the cost is turning me away. Love the looks of it though. Any other brands out there I am missing. I have searched the internet, this forum, and others with little luck. Hopefully someone out there can help me out. I really want to be able to bolt on instead of weld and use stock hangers as well, or i would go custom and have so many choices.

Almost forgot, the whole point of me going dual tips is to avoid the huge can exhaust and bumble bee sound so I'm looking for something deep and throaty.
                    91 EX 4 door Seattle Silver
                    f22a4
                    Short Ram
                    axle back
                    sittin on 17" enduros wrapped with nankang ns-1's
                    more to come...

Comment

www.magnaflow.com very worth it

05' S2000 GrandPrix White

93' Accord (Sold )
                      JDM H22
                      Port n Polished Int Mani
                      Bored TB, maxed
                      MSD 6A
                      I/H/E
                      no cat
                      [[-]] (()) [[\]] [[)) //\\

Comment

I don't think it's worth getting a shitty system now and upgrading later when you do your swap. Save the $$ now and spend it on something that is worth it for the swap. Think of it: you spend 150 now then later spend another 250-500 on a real good cat-back and you've spent about 400-800 bucks, for what. Besides, those brands mentioned earlier are mostly cosmetic with preforated tubing that makes that raspy tin-can sound which actually distrupts the airflow making back pressure which is what you don't want. All of my buddies have regreted buying those brands and tossed those brands out and have gone with the bigger names like Greddy, Magnaflow, HKS ect.... thats my 2cents

05' S2000 GrandPrix White

93' Accord (Sold )
                        JDM H22
                        Port n Polished Int Mani
                        Bored TB, maxed
                        MSD 6A
                        I/H/E
                        no cat
                        [[-]] (()) [[\]] [[)) //\\

Comment

Check it out:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/te...rt2/index.html