Cybertruck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cybertruck

Well, you all knew this thread was coming!

What do you all think of the Tesla Cybertruck? I, for one, throught Elon's presentation was laughable, with the botched window strength demonstration. I also do not find the design very well suited for a work truck at all. The camping package option seems quite nice, but I can't imagine calling sleeping in you brand new Cybertruck anything other than "glamping".

For me, the worst part is the name. I mean, come'on, CYBERTRUCK?!?! What about Model Tr or Model Tk to keep with the model naming theme, or even "Tesla Ute" or "Utility Vehicle" for those who point out the "Tesla Roadster" name? The font they used was ridiculous.

Last edited by af_1132; 11-26-2019, 11:59 PM.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

It makes me think of the videos or pictures where people playfully tape cardboard to their cars as body kits or maybe an unfinished CG draft for a futuristic truck perhaps for demolition man. People will literally buy anything now days so i see it selling
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I'm an automotive design engineer at heart. I enjoy the creativity and passion for the discipline.

This is the result of what we have to deal with when it comes to egos, politics, money, and manufacturing. There's a reason for this though.

I damn near cried when I first saw it. It hurt me to my core as someone who is passionate about automotive engineering. I'm sure the tech is there though. Everything else, blahhhh!
      The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

When I saw the reveal I seriously thought it was a joke. I don't know how we went from a Tesla model S, roadster, and even Model 3 to this "truck." There was no designing on the exterior on this and I honestly think this is a poor example and like Crank say, people will buy just about anything. This reminds me of the Aztec and how they tried to sell it solely on the fact that it could extend a tent out. I feel Elon is doing the same with this except he at least has a following. The fact that they advertised shatterproof glass and then a dude who throws a bearing slower then a tee ball pitcher breaks both windows.

I am very disappointed and hope they fix their shit.
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

When I first laid eyes on it right after the reveal, I nearly gagged, both at the design and the logo. I often wonder about Elon Musk and his ego. He really made some, shall I say, "interesting" business decisions in the past. However, I've read that he really had a troubled life as a child, which included severe bullying, parental divorce, and severed connections with his father. This could all explain why he often seems to flounder at times in his leadership.

Anyway, this is one of the designs that were thrown out there before the reveal. What do you guys think of this?

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

I like that. Looks like a coventional style p/u.

I'm all for the new next thing and innovation, but when a design looks like a 1st grader learned about basic shapes, and mommy/daddy helped them with their drawing shapes homework, this is what comes to mind about the design.

Knowing how companies are run, engineering/design/automotive companies, I'm willing to bet there was some huge internal conflict we no nothing about, maybe surrounding egos/possible lawsuits/conflicting political directions, that led to this. Either that, or budget contraints for manufacturing.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I love the truck. Tesla did something completely off the wall and I respect any company with the balls to defy conventional design trends.

I don't think the Tesla product line is particularly attractive, but this thing stands out to me.

I want one, badly!
              14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

I dont care for the design either. Where I live there are a lot of Telsas. I like Tesla cars. Just not big on the design of the truck. The corners remind me of the F117. Just... not cool. IMO at all.

The technology is cool though.

Comment

Not being interested in Tesla or electric cars in general, plus the fact that it's ugly, I haven't even cared to look into what this thing actually is.

Also, it reminds me of the Dome Zero. Futuristic... if only we were still in the '70s/'80s.

Last edited by CyborgGT; 11-27-2019, 10:32 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Ugliest thing I've ever seen. And like apple products there will be millions of "sheep" willing to line up to get one. Quite sad actually.

I'll hold out for the Rivian.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                      Also, it reminds me of the Dome Zero. Futuristic... if only we were still in the '70s/'80s.

Hey, the Dome Zero! It also reminds me of the early Countach, without all the extra panels and the giant wing:

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                      I'll hold out for the Rivian.
                      When is that coming out? I've seem the prototypes for over a year, IIRCC. Everything about that truck looks nice, except for the front headlights.
                      Last edited by af_1132; 11-28-2019, 03:12 PM.

MRT
                      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

I think the Cyber Truck is FUGLY as can be. Seriously with the design potential that Tesla has and they build what my son could do when he was 3. SERIOUSLY?!?

Second, I more or less despise Telsa as a company for a few flaws in their overall build methodology.

1. Why the hell would you build any car that doesn't have a non failing mechanical latch. A latch do damn fancy it can even open the door when the car doesn't have power? You wreck you Telsa, breaking the battery case. Thus causing the batteries to discharge rapidly causing a runaway fire. It's not like this is rare it's on the news all the time.

2. Stated above situation happens care loses power, now you can't open the doors due to them relying on the batteries functioning. Others also can't open the doors from the outside. The only option you have or another has is to break the window and crawl out of the car. Any car with power windows has this flaw, but you can still open the door, due to a cable running to a mechanical latch inside the door body. On this super damn awesome Cyber Truck that now has bullet proof glass windows, if you break the battery box, you are literally trapped in a death box that no one can save you from. I'd rather stick with car manufactures who actually have to deal with life and death safety issues.

If they had at least built the prototype that they also pictured, it would have been one hell of a damn cool truck. Still has the problems stated above.

I'm all about the Rivian, what Ford might be doing, and possibly another company that I can't remember the name of right now.
                        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I like the fact that it's different and stands out. It's the fact that it's not designed that will make people's head turn. Come on, if you see the Cybertruck (terrible name) on the road, would you really just ignore it like it was another Yaris or Sentra?

Remember the G-Wagon is literally a box on wheels, and it's considered a status symbol.

I think many people are comparing it to an actual truck (F-150, Ram, Silverado, etc) which it's not. It's more like the 1st gen Honda Ridgeline was. A car that can happen to haul a lot of cargo. People didn't buy them, to my knowledge, to go to the workplace with a bunch of bricks in the bed. More like to do casual trips to HD or Lowe's.

And as usual, I can't wait to see people mod them. An NY subway graffiti style wrap would be dope.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I think the Cybertruck is brilliant. It is also, likely, Tesla trolling in a larger sense.

The Cybertruck as it stands is objectively bad automotive design, but from the manufacturing story that is being given it makes sense for the resulting vehicle to have planar design language. As a styling statement it is impactful and and is designed to go against the status quo. The odd part is that Fronz (their design chief) typically has an aesthetic that he likes from looking at his previous work (Model S, Mazda Nagare, Pontiac Solstice) and this truck is the complete inverse of that aesthetic. The design as it is doesn't comply with alot the regulations (pedestrian safety, etc...) that have shaped automotive design in the last 15 years or so. I look forward to seeing one on the road whenever it comes to fuition.

That said, while the design is questionably executed, the real statement is about consumerism and the power of "brand". Few brands, in any industry, have the equity that Tesla has at the moment. With that in mind they are allowed to push the envelope in ways that other brands would likely be laughed out of the room for attempting. It also shows that consumers don't actually care about aesthetics as long as they have a strong connection to the brand presenting.
                            http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

I'm going to use an analogy here, so please bear with me. In hip-hop/rap, arguably one of the most influential genres of music today, once was at an all time great with the craft/lyrics/message/creativity from creators. Then, politics pushed boundaries in an effort ro reshape the messages, and in pushing those boundaries, it produced 'GARBAGGGGE' for about a decade or so. It's slowly coming back to it's good orignal roots of craft/skill/lyrics, and I'm praying the automotive industry does not do the same following Tesla's lead (creative design wise). If so, we'll have a bunch of enviromentally friendly ugly @ss vehicles to deal with in the future.

Functionality wise, this truck maybe be what truck owners need. Looks, . Time will tell.
                              Last edited by Straight Success; 11-29-2019, 04:12 PM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                              X