Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walbro 255lph install issue (with pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walbro 255lph install issue (with pictures)

So I read alot of articles, and the DIY on how to install this pump. I also read about the issue people have when the tank is below 1/4 and they take a turn and they get fuel starvation.

Well..., I think I found the issue, and I'm also looking for anyone who seen this problem also and/or may have a solution:

I started the pump install this weekend, and for those who have done it prior know it all connects one way only:

But upon putting the pump in the tank, I noticed that the filter/screen doesn't sit right in the "basin" which resides in the tank. Upon comparing the old pump and new pump I started to see an issue. Notice how the filters face different ways...

Inside the tank you have a "basin" we'll call it.

With the OEM filters and pump in the tank it sits flush on the bottom of this basin and parallel with the edge of the basin.

Now with the walbo pump and filter in the basin, this is the result from the different direction the filter faces.

Again, outside view........

how OEM would sit in tank:

how walbro would sit in the tank:

Now I realize that this basin is filled with fuel anyways, and the fuel return line is there as well. But this seems like a major design flaw in my books on walbro's behalf. It also explains a lot of the fuel starvation issues I've read about. The DIY on cb7tuner.com mentions nothing about this and when I compare my pump setup to his DIY they are identical. I don't think he looked at the filter after putting it in the tank. There is no way to turn the filter so it lies flat in the basin, as everything connects only one way. By turning the filter on the pump also changes the angle of the filter, so its not flat anymore with the basin.
    Putting the OEM filter on the walbo pump does not work either. It faces it in a worst position than the walbo filter.

Has anyone seen this issue?
    Has anyone seen the issue but just runs it like this anyways?
    Does anyone have a resolution?

Is that the correct Walbro part # for the Accord? I do not recall my sock sitting in that orientaion...here is a pic of my install from 1/29/2007

The correct PN should be EFP1013 according to their website
    Last edited by Boost_Lee; 08-19-2013, 01:02 AM.

Formerly 91AccordExR33
    11.68 @ 127mph
    417whp/375wtq
    Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by Boost_Lee View Post
      Is that the correct Walbro part # for the Accord? I do not recall my sock sitting in that orientaion...here is a pic of my install from 1/29/2007

The correct PN should be EFP1013 according to their website
      Big thank you to you Boost Lee!

I can't check on the part # right now but I notice you are using the adapter piece that came with the kit, and I am not using it. By looking at your picture if you were to remove that piece your filter would be 180 deg., where mine is now

So i bet if I put that piece on the pump, and the filter on that piece it will be facing the proper way

I won't get to try until Friday....., but many many many thanks!! Should solve my problem.

Comment

Glad to help

Formerly 91AccordExR33
        11.68 @ 127mph
        417whp/375wtq

Comment

Yep. This fix worked like a charm. Just a FYI for those who ever read this in the future.

Comment

Formerly 91AccordExR33
            11.68 @ 127mph
            417whp/375wtq

Comment

Working...
            X