My 09 Civic SI Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
    My buddy has an 09 Civic SI that he loves but he hasn't let me drive it yet for me to compare. I know in the mountains I was on his tail the whole time, he never pulled away on straights or especially curves (both 4dr, both with 4 ppl in car). I think with some good tires and a good driver though, the SI would outperform any CB7 with just bolt-ons.
    The Civic has that shorter body and that awesome rear suspension... so I imagine w/some good springs/shocks and camber plates it would outhandle a CB no problem. Remember the FD Spoon Type R that beat the S2000 around Tsukuba? I do.... I raced an S2K on a curvy highway in that H22 Type-S CB w/Konis, Neuspeed and ST sways... it wasn't even close, car felt dangerous.

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

You weren't used to the car.

The Si is AT LEAST as fast as my swapped CB. A regular CB stands no chance, as the Si cuts at least 2 seconds off of both the 0-60 time and the 1/4 mile time, bone stock.

It probably feels like it isn't going as fast because it has a smoother powerband, and is much quieter and more refined than the F22 and the H22. It pulls more linearly than either of those engines.

As far as handling goes, you weren't used to it. With those same all season tires, my Si will easily keep up with my CB, with way more suspension mods than what your has, more chassis stiffness, more power, an LSD, and not cheap components. It still actually amazes me how much the SI gives before the crappy all seasons even start to squeal.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I have no problem admitting that I didn't know how far I could push the car. The past few days I keep thinking more and more about and I'm starting to like the idea of it a lot more. I'm still going to test the mazdaspeed3 and maybe a wrx or a cobalt ss but my main focus is the mazdaspeed and the si.

I love the look of the si but reading that just an intake on a mazdaspeed pushes you to almost 300hp is a very welcoming thought .

Comment

I just saw an Si coupe at the track do a 13.9 last night at Firebird Raceway here in AZ. When he launched, it sounded like he had a 2 step launch control or something, going off the rev limiter pep pep pep....kinda like that. But where all the other imports, RSX type s' only ran a 14.4 at best w/ traction issues, this guy launched w/ no wheelspin at all

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

welcome to the hype that al stock cars are fast. You probably need more mods to the car to even consider it to be fast enough but you end up wanting more. Your best bet would be to get a turbo car that would suit yoru needs so you never get broed though I warn you quality parts arent cheap. you cheap out you gonna get loved.... tenderly by your own car. Mazda 3 or wrx for you then.

Comment

he probably will like the mazdaspeed. it handles pretty well and the power is there. we'll find out lol

no
              Accord turbo kit under $2k here
              $30 HID kits here Thread
              "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
              "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

My biggest issue with the MS3 is too much HP through the front wheels.

FWD cars are not tolerant of low RPM torque. The fact that Mazda is already limiting the power through the ECU to keep it from being worse than it already is an indication.

I.E. You aren't going to get the relative improvement from the same mods or power increase that you would get with a car that can naturally put the power down better.

Also, HP in the SI is not as easy as the MS3, but with nothing more than bolt ons and cams, they will actually also get you pretty close to 300HP.

Comment

It all balls down to monaaaaaay! on whichever car you decide to spend and put money down on quality parts. That will determine on how far you wish to go get more for your dollar. Dont get short changed because of the hype people put out there its always best to do the research and testdrive.

Comment

I would go with the MS3 over a civic. You're getting more power for your money.
                    1993 Accord EX
                    2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Originally posted by tonymontana1204 View Post
                      I would go with the MS3 over a civic. You're getting more power for your money.
                      Depends how you look at it.

You are only getting rated power in 3rd-6th gears, so you could look at it as you are only getting the power you pay for half the time.

The MS3 artificially limits torque output in 1st and 2nd gear to manage traction. Less torque = less power. No matter how you slice it.

A stock MS3 is putting down around 230WHP when it is not being limited by the ECU, so yes, it will put down more HP than a stock Si which is around ~180 or so. However, what is it putting down in 1st and 2nd? I don't know, but it isn't the full amount.

From a personal experience standpoint, I have no doubt the MS3 would pull, especially from speeds in 3rd gear in higher. However, you have to ask yourself how often you are going to be there on a public road. Also, I can realistically tell you that the new Mustang GT's with the 300HP 4.6L, which are themselves 13 second cars, don't pull nearly as much as you would think without some kind of gnarly launch.

The OP should test drive and buy what he likes best, but the BS being perpetuated is horseshit.

I find if funny how some people like to pretend that their cars are super fast, but when people give a perspective opposite of that, it is hype.

The reality is that the difference between a well driven Si and a FWD traction limited car is not as much as you would think, until traction no longer becomes an issue, which is at very high speeds.

Comment

Working...
                      X