Auto Trans 4 1/2 Gears?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Trans 4 1/2 Gears?!

While cruising on the highway, my car shifted into 4th...after a couple of seconds it would seemingly shift into a 5th gear or something...the revs would drop and would hold steady...anyone else noticed this?

It's the rumored ghost gear, as they call it. Not sure what exactly it is though. I'll get back to you shortly.
    My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Accord2nv204
      While cruising on the highway, my car shifted into 4th...after a couple of seconds it would seemingly shift into a 5th gear or something...the revs would drop and would hold steady...anyone else noticed this?
      My car does this too, although only sometimes I 'll be interested to see if any one can come up with a definitive answer

Comment

"ghost gear" wow that's pretty good. There is a solenoid that locks the pump on the engine side of the torque converter to the turbine on the tranny side of the torque converter. That lets the tranny spin at the same speed as then engine. sort of like an overdrive, but not really. In all your other gears, the turbine spins a little slower than the pump side. My accord has about 252K on it and the lockup solenoid doesn't work anymore. That and a little jerk on downshift gave me a good excuse to do the auto to manual swap. hope that answered your question man.

-Brian

Comment

There's actually three lock-up modes on the automatics. Full, half and partial. Full-lockup (direct from the engine to the wheels) works in 3rd and 4th gears. Half-lockup works in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, except when you are in (D3), then half only works in 3rd gear and 2nd stays in partial at all times. This would mean that (D3) kinda replaces Sport mode in 92-93 transmissions. Partial works in 1st and second. If you have sport mode on for 90-91's, the TCU varies the shift points and varies when and how the lock-up works as well. So, if you do the math, our transmission actually have 7 "fugurative" gears.

Comment

Torque converter. Like they say, it's sort of an overdrive.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
            where you been, is something wrong?
            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bgibson99
              "ghost gear" wow that's pretty good. There is a solenoid that locks the pump on the engine side of the torque converter to the turbine on the tranny side of the torque converter. That lets the tranny spin at the same speed as then engine. sort of like an overdrive, but not really. In all your other gears, the turbine spins a little slower than the pump side. My accord has about 252K on it and the lockup solenoid doesn't work anymore. That and a little jerk on downshift gave me a good excuse to do the auto to manual swap. hope that answered your question man.

-Brian
              no need to be a dick, and if you knew anything, there is some joke/speculation about a ghost gear on the cb7. know your place, before you act all cocky. Btw, nice way to make friends on a new board by being captain asshole.
              My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

Comment

^^ agreed ^^....dont know why people gotta run there mouth when some people are just trying to help! MOTARDS! (MOTARD=moronic retard) haha
                F22a1-->F22A-->H22A-->auto-2-5spd-->K20 6spd-->F22C 6spd RWD-->4G63 6spd AWD-->K24 6spd????

Sold to: blackice, Myothercar, Rennat, Ilikebigbutts, HA91, DA92CB7, accord91lx, Cb7GHOST, Gemini, whiteaccord92,Warudakumi, jhondayaaj
                Bought from: 93twodoorLX, Datmofo, g7kobayashi, accord_inspire, Accord SiR, Kurobei, UK-Accord, phreakish93, RENR, k-mart

Comment

ian didnt seem to come off dickish to me? he i think thought that "ghost gear" was a funny term.. and his post made no direct insult to any of you guys... he actually just gave out a lot of info... IDK maybe im missing something

Comment

i think you fellas are a little quick there.. haha sorry to knock the chip off your shoulder. i just thought ghost gear was a funny term.. not making fun of you or anything like that. that was a great question and i was glad i could answer it, although i didnt know it would lock up in any of the other gears.. that's pretty interesting.

-Brian

Comment

lol..... but it sure sounded like you were making fun of him for using that term or something...haha! whatever i guess....pretty sure i just thought the whole thing was kinda funny so i felt like adding to the fire! LOL sorry!

-Sean
                      F22a1-->F22A-->H22A-->auto-2-5spd-->K20 6spd-->F22C 6spd RWD-->4G63 6spd AWD-->K24 6spd????

Sold to: blackice, Myothercar, Rennat, Ilikebigbutts, HA91, DA92CB7, accord91lx, Cb7GHOST, Gemini, whiteaccord92,Warudakumi, jhondayaaj
                      Bought from: 93twodoorLX, Datmofo, g7kobayashi, accord_inspire, Accord SiR, Kurobei, UK-Accord, phreakish93, RENR, k-mart

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                        Torque converter. Like they say, it's sort of an overdrive.
                        Actually 4th gear itself is overdrive. This "ghost gear" ya'll are reffering to is just the tourque converter going into full lock-up.
                        00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

This makes much more sense to me now I guess the reason my does only do it sometimes is the high mileage probably worn out

Comment

anyways to fix it?? yielding better mpg on highway?

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

i didn't insult anybody, did I??

anyways, I've seen a lot of occasions where people's cars won't go into full-lockup because the thermostat is bad. It sticks open and allows the engine to run too cold. The TCM won't allow full-lockup if the engine is below normal operating temp.

i've heard it's more common on cars equipped with the Fuji-Thompson thermostat. (commonly found in japan-born CB's)

Comment

Working...
                              X