Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Sports Light Tranny Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sports Light Tranny Problem

I have a 91 2dr LX 150,000.

Problem:

About 3 weeks ago my I got in my car to leave and I noticed the car was shifting funny and I had no power the sports shift light was on and would not not shut off. I looked in my Haines, Chilton's, and owners manual nothing. Checked the forum did a search found similar problems but not the same. I checked the codes and nothing. So I pulled the negative battery cable and all is well. Two weeks later leaving a friends house the sports light came back on but this time it was flashing constantly. I tried the battery cable again and it did not work. So I tried the codes again and this time it gave me codes: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, and 14. I looked in the book there is no code 2.

Speedometer works fine. When driving with s light on no power and does not shift pass 3rd and will do 70 a 3800 versus normally around 24-2500.

Can anyone help?
    Last edited by CA1978; 03-30-2006, 02:08 PM.

Does anyone know about this am I not explaining it right. Does it make sense? Someone let me know.

Comment

It sounds like we are sharing a similar, if not the same, problem. We should watch each others posts, and hopefully someone with technical expertise will provide us with some insight!

Comment

Did you replace your ecu at any point? If so go back to the stock lx ecu. If not check your grounds. A real pia but it can be it. Definetly check your thermostat grounds. Another option is that your solenoids are going or have gone bad. solenoids can be expensive so if thats what it is hit me up and I can get you a new set. Also did you do a tranny flush lately? If not try and remove 2 quarts and replacing it with a compatable ATF fluid. If none of this works.....YOUR FUCKED!! no really if none of that works you may need a new tranny. I can get one of thos for you as well but I have no clue how much to ship to ky so you may want to check local junkyards and see if you cant get a cheap replacement. Hope this helps.
        No longer working on the cb. To much time and money has been put into it. Check my for sale thread where the whole car will be parted out.

Comment

Originally posted by DjSpeedy
          Did you replace your ecu at any point? If so go back to the stock lx ecu. If not check your grounds. A real pia but it can be it. Definetly check your thermostat grounds. Another option is that your solenoids are going or have gone bad. solenoids can be expensive so if thats what it is hit me up and I can get you a new set. Also did you do a tranny flush lately? If not try and remove 2 quarts and replacing it with a compatable ATF fluid. If none of this works.....YOUR FUCKED!! no really if none of that works you may need a new tranny. I can get one of thos for you as well but I have no clue how much to ship to ky so you may want to check local junkyards and see if you cant get a cheap replacement. Hope this helps.
          Nothing has been changed my car is stock. Fluid is still a nice red no brown or black. This is crazy I have not driven my car since Saturday and today it started and no S light. I am taken it to another shop this morning. If this does not work I and going to the dealer.

Friday after I reset the computer it drove fine. Went to a freinds then when I left there it is again the s light flashing. This time it would not reset. Then today it does not even come on and the car runs fine. Now when I take it to the shop I assume it will start flashing again.

Comment

try and replace the tcu with another one to see if it was bad. go to a junk yard or ebay even. if that doesnt work then you may have a bad tranny, or an electrical problem. then i would try and clean the grounding point on the tranny to make sure its good. i think its a main grounding and maybe a source of your problem. of course a tranny shop will tell you that you need a new tranny..they want your money. hopefully thats a last option.

regards tomd

imho its sounds like a bad tcu, but im no expert..just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by xfactortype1
              try and replace the tcu with another one to see if it was bad. go to a junk yard or ebay even. if that doesnt work then you may have a bad tranny, or an electrical problem. then i would try and clean the grounding point on the tranny to make sure its good. i think its a main grounding and maybe a source of your problem. of course a tranny shop will tell you that you need a new tranny..they want your money. hopefully thats a last option.

regards tomd

imho its sounds like a bad tcu, but im no expert..just my opinion
              Good guess. Shop called said the tcu is bad. I called a few junk yards and I can get one but are 90-93 tcu the same?

Comment

yeah im assuming you can. i have one for an f22a6 auto if you need it. 25 bucks shipped. if you can get one cheaper from the junkyard do it.

let me know tomd

just pm me your address ill send it asap..ie tommorrow morning usps priority

Comment

What year is it? I have been looking at NAPA site looks like 91 dx,lx are the same but ex's are different. 92, 93 are different than a 91.

Comment

is it fixied yet?

Hey, I'm also having the same problem with my tranny, I'm even getting the same codes. Did changing the TCU fix it?

Im wondering what would cause this? I'd like to know if it rained between the time it ran fine and the time it started acting up? I used to get this problem only when it rained. Now it's all the time though. Also, do you have any leaks in your trunk? And do you have oil on any of your engine wires, specifically the ones that are on the passenger side around the tranny?

Thanks for your time

Lou

Comment

Good guess. Shop called said the tcu is bad. I called a few junk yards and I can get one but are 90-93 tcu the same?
                      yeah it was his tcu..couple posts above

regards tom d

Comment

That's not all

I'm not only asking if it was his tcu,which I see the shop said it was, but also what might have been the cause of it going out. That way it's a one time purchase instead of a monthly one.

Lou

Comment

ok..wasn't mean to sound smart...do you think you have a water leak by the firewall? just any idea.. but tcu's can just take a shyt..its a computer afterall

good luck tom d

Comment

all i have to say is i love manual transmissions
                            Get'em tough get'em boosted. Start Boosting at a Young Age.

Comment

Replaced Tcu

Ok it has been a few weeks but I wanted to be sure the problem did not come back. It was the tcu cost me a 180 with exchange (bought a rebuilt from NAPA) but it works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X