First CEL code 41 and now code 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First CEL code 41 and now code 1

Ok just finished replacing my o2 sensor and the harness (had to make it female to connect to the 02 sensor). Initially I had cel 41, now I have cel 1. Anybody know why?Is there any other possiblity its on other than the wire connections? The car starts with no engine light and after a few minutes of driving it comes on. I did disconnect the battery and fuse to clear the codes. 1992 LX with 93 jdm h22 swap auto. Can anyone help?

If you have rewired it incorrectly it may be the problem..

There are 3 Codes for the Heated Oxygen Sensor. Code 1, 41 & 43.

Code 1 is for the Heated Oxygen Sensor. It's either an Open/Short Circuit, Faulty Sensor.

Code 41 is for the Heated Oxygen Sensor 'Heater'. It's either Open/Short Circuited or 'Heater' in Sensor is faulty.

Code 43 is for the Heated Oxygen Sensor. It's either an Open/Short Circuit, Faulty Sensor or can indicate Excessively Rich or Excessively Lean Mixtures.

The Wiring Schematics for the Heated O2 Sensor can be found in the Haynes WSM Chapter 12 Page 19 @ Location E10.
    Note: Haynes Indicates the 3rd ECU Connector as "D" not "C" as some would expect.

O2 Plug Terminal No 1 - Green Wire to Green/White Wire Sensor Ground Through ECU Pin D22. (Also Grounds for CTS, TPS, IAT EGR Lift Sensor & Service Connector).

O2 Plug Terminal No 2 - White Wire to White Wire ECU Pin D14 - O2 Signal

O2 Plug Terminal No 3 - Black Wire to Orange/Black Wire ECU Pin A6 - O2 Heater Control

O2 Plug Terminal No 4 - Black Wire to Yellow/Black Wire ECU Pin A25 - O2 Heater 12V Ignition Source. (Also to ECU Main Relay, Injector Resistor & EAC Valve)

-Geoff-
    Last edited by F22-GURU; 02-17-2006, 06:56 AM. Reason: Clarification & Correction of Code Interpretation.

Comment

How would u know if the problem is "Excessively Lean Mixtures"? and can u fix this by changing the timing?

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

Originally posted by i_love_cb7
        How would u know if the problem is "Excessively Lean Mixtures"? and can u fix this by changing the timing?
        The only real way is to connect up to Scan Tool or CO Meter and see what the O2 Sensor is reading.
        But just certain symptoms can identify lean mixtures.
        If the Valve or Ignition timing is out too far then the fuel mixture will not be combusted correctly leaving too much air after combustion. Detonation can melt spark plugs, valves and pistons affecting compression. Air leaks at the Intake Manifold or vacuum lines can cause excessively lean mixtures. A sticking EGR. A Pre-O2 Sensor Exhaust Leak can fool the O2 Sensor into lean readings. A blocked fuel filter or blocked injectors can affect fuel delivery. High Engine temperatures can indicate a lean mixture. Poor performance. Flat Spots on acceleration. An initial Stumble/Misfire is another indication. A roughness or misfire at and just above idle is another. The color of the exhaust outlet. The smell of the exhaust fumes. The list goes on.
        All these things can be happening within the tolerances of the O2 Sensors range until the O2 Sensor can no longer compensate and sets a CEL, by that time it's too late and detrimental damage can be done.
        Every 20,000 km. Replace the Spark Plugs, Fuel & Air Filters (If Standard), Check the Ignition Timing. Check the Base Idle. Check for CEL's.
        Add a bottle of Fuel System cleaner to each 5 tank fills to help keep injectors clean and remove condensation, which can create high sulphur content. Give the Fuel Injectors a Clean out and Sonic Bath when flat spot appear. Clean out the throttle body. Replace the timing belt when required. That's why it is so important to regularly maintain the engine at the specified period.

Comment

OK I switched my ground and signal wires and left the bottom 2 heater wires alone. So after switching the two top wires and clearing the codes I restarted the car and left the car running for a few minutes and I checked the codes and they were clear. I thought I finally fixed it until I took a test drive and the cel code 1 popped on again! Ugh! Does this mean I dont have a wiring problem its the sensor? Can I mark out the 2 heater wires arent the problem? I replaced the fuel filter 6 months ago and cleaned out my egr valve a few weeks ago also.
          Last edited by 4thGen4dr; 02-16-2006, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4thGen4dr
            OK I switched my ground and signal wires and left the bottom 2 heater wires alone. So after switching the two top wires and clearing the codes I restarted the car and left the car running for a few minutes and I checked the codes and they were clear. I thought I finally fixed it until I took a test drive and the cel code 1 popped on again! Ugh! Does this mean I dont have a wiring problem its the sensor? Can I mark out the 2 heater wires arent the problem? I replaced the fuel filter 6 months ago and cleaned out my egr valve a few weeks ago also.
            Did you swap them over for the sake of it or did you swap them because you wired it wrong in the first place? Either way you've probably fried the O2 Sensor. Go out and buy a NEW OEM O2 SENSOR.
            Good Luck in your ventures.

Comment

Originally posted by F22-GURU
              Did you swap them over for the sake of it or did you swap them because you wired it wrong in the first place? Either way you've probably fried the O2 Sensor. Go out and buy a NEW OEM O2 SENSOR.
              Good Luck in your ventures.
              I swapped it because my car has a H22 so I was assuming the shop used a prelude O2 sensor but they actually rigged it to used the same O2 sensor from the my F22. So my problem was I bought a prelude O2 with a male connector and I needed to swap in a female on the harness for it be plug and play. And it is a brand new OEM O2 sensor. What pisses me off is, Im thinking I didnt even need a new sensor because initially I had only cel code 41 and I believe it was on because of one of the heater wires were disconnected F*CK!!

Comment

did you ever resolve this problem, cuz i'm going through the same thing right now

Comment

Working...
                X