Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long should it take to replace fuel pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long should it take to replace fuel pump?

How long should it take to replace the fuel pump? From start to finish. Also is there a DIY on it I looked but coould not find. I have the repair manual but would like some personal input. Thanks

Easier if you have access to car lift, jack up car, remove straps and drop down tank. Obviously harder to do it on jackstands and you need to get car high enough.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by rtm862
      How long should it take to replace the fuel pump? From start to finish. Also is there a DIY on it I looked but coould not find. I have the repair manual but would like some personal input. Thanks
      Depends on What It Says in the Mechanic's Times & Labour Guide. Doesn't matter how long it takes, it matters how long your allowed to take.
      How much did the mechanic charge you.

Comment

Cant you take out your backseat and reach it from there? I thought you could pull out the fuel pump there since its located around that area? I could be wrong.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

you can, i found the measurements on where to cut a whole between the back seat (coupe) and the trunk...and ijust used some metal snips and opened a hole up and undid like 8 small bolts, took old pump out, replaced, and reinstalled. Took about an hour from start to finish, just have to either cover the hole with duct tape or something before you slap the carpet back on it...i didnt make a hole, more of some cuts and bent the metal back...

worked good! good luck! BUT YOU DO NOT NEED TO DROP THE TANK!
          My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

Originally posted by high c
            you can, i found the measurements on where to cut a whole between the back seat (coupe) and the trunk...and ijust used some metal snips and opened a hole up and undid like 8 small bolts, took old pump out, replaced, and reinstalled. Took about an hour from start to finish, just have to either cover the hole with duct tape or something before you slap the carpet back on it...i didnt make a hole, more of some cuts and bent the metal back...

worked good! good luck! BUT YOU DO NOT NEED TO DROP THE TANK!

Haha ya i figured that too. Removing tanks aint the funnest thing plus its too much work but you learn from experience.

The New-ish Ride
            My old Ride
            Hear my Vtak!!!
            MK3 Member #3
            I piss off people for fun.
            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

yea the book says i can remove it by the back seat but I heard a lot of guys do it from the bottom.

As far as tools go I have a good set of hand tools(137 Pc craftsman).

I have a shop jack that lifts the car 22 inches off the ground. And I have two 4 ton stands that lift about 20-22 inches.

What I dont have is a good set of big wrenches. Will I need any?

And by the way is their any way I can get a Mechanic's Times & Labour Guide without paying for it? I even tried limewire.

Comment

if you really wanted to not worry about noise from that hole (which i did also!) just find a 86-89 honda accord (3g!!!) they all have the access plate glued in... rip it out measure and make your hole the same size then glue it into your car... yah it took me about 35 minutes to do my fuel pump, but i used a sawzall with a broken short blade. DONT DO THAT if you've never seen were the lines are or the wires cause you will hit it!
                WTB:
                88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
                OR
                90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

oooooooo immma have to find one of them access plates and put it on mine
                  My baby laying down some power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_Q8HSIyqA

Comment

You guys are scaring me with the hole in the backseat thing. The manual doesnt say anything about riping a hole. I think I'm gonna go under the car and do it. Anybody want to add any personal experience doing it hat way?

Comment

If you dont want to cut the hole you can get it from under the car. There is a drain bolt on the tank that you will need to open to let all the gas out. When the bolt is open jack up the right side so the gas will flow out more. Then there are like 4 bolts holding the 2 straps on. Thats it basically. when you disconnect both of the straps put the jack below the tank and then drop the jack.
                      I did mines with the help of a friend in 40 degrees weather and it took like 2 1/2 hours from the time of jacking up the car to jacking it down back.

Comment

Just curiuos. If all you did was the bolts and straps, why did it take 2 1/2 hours. Was it hard to get the pump out of the tank or something?

Comment

Originally posted by rtm862
                          Just curiuos. If all you did was the bolts and straps, why did it take 2 1/2 hours. Was it hard to get the pump out of the tank or something?
                          Fuel pumps aren't the easiest thing to replace, especially if your tank is filthy. I've never done one on a honda(that says something) but I know from experience it takes on average, 1.5 - 2.5 hours on any fuel pump.
                          1991 Honda Accord, 2.2L I4

Comment

i know this thread is pretty old i guess...but i just now found out that this fuel pump is my problem as well..Where is it even located??? (Can someone PM me? PMing me is faster for me to find my answer.) Cuz i went to a Mieneke shop..they wanted to charge about $520 for replacing my fuel pump. I'd rather do it myself so i need to know where it's located...Pictures would REALLY help..but any other info is still good. TIA

*Needs*
                            -New shocks
                            -Struts
                            -Drop
                            -Cleaning
                            -New Tires/Wheels
                            -New Window Tint
                            -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

wow...my lasy comment here made me feel so noobish..heheehe...I FINALLy got that damn Fuel Pump OUT!...For ME actually took 2 days..i been busy haha G/L

*Needs*
                              -New shocks
                              -Struts
                              -Drop
                              -Cleaning
                              -New Tires/Wheels
                              -New Window Tint
                              -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

Working...
                              X