EXT: Not getting your antenna ripped off in a carwash DYI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Not getting your antenna ripped off in a carwash DYI

I decided to run a switch on my antenna so I could turn off power to the antenna and still be able to listen to my CD's. For times like in a carwash. The main reason I did this is because with it being so cold, the antenna has been known to freeze over and when I power on the radio, the motor clunks trying to get the antenna to go up.

You can mount your switch anywhere, but I mounted my switch on the plastic panel where you pop your trunk and your fuel tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...i/P1010013.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...i/P1010015.jpg

This is where the final placement was. I should of drilled it a little bit lower because I had trouble getting the switch to mount. If you do decided to mount a switch there, that spot is the only place where you will have room to bring the wires in. Additionally I used this plastic piece because I could run the wires under the carpet straight into the plastic piece.

Once you get the trim removed to access the antenna motor, there is a yellow wire with a white stripe. When power is put to the motor through that wire, the antenna goes up. When power is shut off to the motor, the antenna goes down.

So cut the yellow wire:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...i/P1010020.jpg

Then you have to run two wires to your switch. This is so you can cut power off to the motor through the switch. I ran a zip cord because the two seperate wires are formed togeather, much easier to run.

Splice in the zip cord:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...i/P1010021.jpg

And run the zip cord to your switch. Hook the switch up, check to see if it works and if it does, put the trim back togeather and your set.

This is the final placement in the car:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...i/P1010022.jpg

So overall, nothing to fancy, but something to help save wear and tear on the antenna.

Let me know if you have any questions

Mike
    Last edited by do0dfromcali; 01-18-2005, 04:04 PM.

nice DIY, might try it out one day. but not until the snow goes away

Click Here for My Member's Page | Free money for searching the web. Needs PayPal account

Comment

very clean look and very hidden. im a fan!... thing is. my antenna kinda doesnt work anymore! to bad the previous owner of the car didnt use this method!

Michalob's CB7

Comment

wow, very nice . Can we control this antenna up and down like 5th gen?
        Do you know how to wiring this antenna?
        Signature Picture removed due to excessive size

VOLVO 240GL bandit crew....all mighty supertank

Comment

very cool... Wish I still had a power antenna.. my dad replaced it years ago when it broke with a cheap ass one. Ehh, hopefully I wont have an antenna come summer time..
          --JDM F22A--

JDM schmeDM, these lights are DIY-DM.

Comment

i may try that... it sounds good but there arent too many times when i could do w/o the antenna... i just got mine working my trunk latch is screwed...my friend didnt see the antenna going when i started the car and the antenna broke.... but my dad works at the honda dealership so replacement was cheap

Comment

my sh*t broke as well but i plan on shaving it and coming up with something cleaner

"Tucking tires and wires."
              The Chronicles.

Comment

Nice DIY. Ashame that my antana is broken as well Its stuck in the up position and not only that but the wring from the tuner to the antana is cut so the signal BLOWS
                2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

thats a nice DIY

Comment

Originally posted by kidd262
                    wow, very nice . Can we control this antenna up and down like 5th gen?
                    Do you know how to wiring this antenna?
                    That's what the switch is for

I turn the switch off, it cuts power to the antenna motor which keeps the antenna down. I flip the switch on, it connects the power and raises the antenna.

I've had this DIY since monday and it's already paid off. I love it

Everyone else, thanks for the compliments. Hope it helps ya out

Comment

Here is a schematic I drew up real quick....

Basically what the switch does is open and close the circuit. With the switch in the off position, it cuts the power thus causing the antenna to stay down. When you turn the switch on, it restores the connect thus sending power to the antenna and letting it go up.

So in reality, on the positive and ground on the switch, it wont matter which you are connecting it to

Comment

am i missing the point or something? because when i switch my HU to cd mode the antenna retracts... maybe its just my HU

Comment

It might be your head unit that does it automatically for you.

Also I did this because we may get a freezing rain and if the antenna were to go up in the morning, it would get all messed up since it was frozen. So its better where I can flip the switch so it stays down and then by noon when the sun has melted the ice on the car, I can let the antenna go back up

Comment

kudos on a very clean diy!!! i'll def. do this some time soon!
                            JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

this may sound stupid but how do u go about aking out the trim

Aftermath of crash.

Comment

Working...
                              X