X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator problem... car dies?!

I have a 90 LX Coupe. F22 SOHC motor
    ok so the car shuts off right... wont start back up.. jump started it... started up perfect.. .as soon as the jumper came off the car died again.

so i figured, the battery isnt holding charge.. just charge it up overnight... pop it in... start it up... its perfect... i turn on the headlights, the car dies... so i figure its the alternator. I get an alternator from S & W salvage... under 50k miles on it tested above charts... good alternator 35 bux not bad?... Pop it in... put in a new alternator belt while at it. Charged battery.. car started up fine.. i removed the + terminal from battery, car dies... I dont know WTF it could be. I just had my old alternator which i thought was messed up tested, at autozone, they said it was perfect.
    I had my battery tested, they said it wasn't holding charge and messed up. I bought a brand new battery... popped it in... started right up... but the alternator started sparking and smoke was coming up. i shut off car... Anyone have ANY IDEA what it could be... I live in lilburn, GA ... Have no clue.

My Website!

please search.........."alternator"

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord4door
      please search.........."alternator"
      already did... checked the first few pages.. gave up and decided to post... let me check again... just wondering are you saying this because there is already a post for this problem?

My Website!

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy
        already did... checked the first few pages.. gave up and decided to post... let me check again... just wondering are you saying this because there is already a post for this problem?
        yea there is numerous threads about this. hundereds. by the sounds of it i would say replace your alternator.dont trust autozone they suck...test it yourself with a multimneter shouls register at about 14 volts.
        Last edited by 91accord4door; 01-05-2006, 03:28 PM.

Comment

yea there is numerous threads about this. hundereds. by the sounds of it i would say replace your alternator.dont trust autozone they suck...test it yourself with a multimneter should register at about 14 volts.
          no but the thing is... I already replaced the alternator already with one which was tested before sale... and that one was perfect also (tested by them)... I will try testing the alternator... but What really can cause these sparks all of sudden? The alternator was smoking somewhat, when I put in the new battery and started up the car... when my friend hit the throttle a little... sparks flew and we shut the car off... I hope its not something electric. I checked and NONE of the threads seem to be the same situation. Thanks for the help. Classes are starting for me this monday and i really need a car running. I blew the bottom end on my starion so I need a car

My Website!

Comment

Sounds like you might have gotten a bad alternator, it also seems as though you might have a short somewhere.
            My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

Originally posted by TysCb7
              Sounds like you might have gotten a bad alternator, it also seems as though you might have a short somewhere.
              im pretty confident in the alternator... but I'd hate to come down to the short...

Anyone know some good possibilities of where the short can be Any common spots in these cars. Also, there is no "alternator fuse/relay" is there?

My Website!

Comment

either buy a brand new or rebuilt alternator....u bought a junk one..it happens.

Comment

Or try this if you can manage to get the car started take the negative side off the battery terminal if the car immediately shuts off then thats the altenator right there works for me. If its something else check your groundwire thats on thee chasis next tot he battery the short fat one. I remember i thought it was my altenator then one morning on my way heading to work that single thick wire was glowing hot like lava you can see the shit glowin. That was my electrical short I hope that helps out bro from my past experience anyways good luck

Comment

either buy a brand new or rebuilt alternator....u bought a junk one..it happens.
                    see I watched the guy test the old alternator ... he put it on the pulley, spun it, connected it to the volt-meter... and the voltage was perfectly smack in the "green" range. Also the other one was tested and they check all alternators before they let them sell. Its S & W auto parts, good business.

My Website!

Comment

Go with what h22sparkle said, and if you want to check the fuse under the hood theres a black box and look for alternator on the cover and find it, but I doubt its a fuse I personally hate rebuilt alternators used OEM is the way to go.
                      My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

i removed the + terminal from battery, car dies... I dont know WTF it could be. I just had my old alternator which i thought was messed up tested, at autozone, they said it was perfect.
                        I had my battery tested, they said it wasn't holding charge and messed up. I bought a brand new battery... popped it in... started right up... but the alternator started sparking and smoke was coming up. i shut off car... Anyone have ANY IDEA what it could be... I live in lilburn, GA ... Have no clue.
                        Sounds like you had a dead cell in the original battery. Even though the alternator was charging OK the battery would not hold any charge once load was applied. It's only natural the car is going to die when you remove the Positive or Negative Terminals as that is the power source for the ECU. Man, you blokes scare me when you say to remove the battery leads while the car is running. That is the worse thing you could do. Doesn't take much to Spike an ECU.
                        I hope you haven't installed the battery the wrong way around and reversed the polarity. Sounds like the probable situation to me. If that's the case you more than likely would have smoked the ECU at the same time.

The Battery Terminal Posts are different sizes. The Positive Post has a LARGER diameter than the NEGATIVE Post. Never rely on the colour of the Battery Terminals or Covers alone. The easiest way to find out what lead is what is to follow the lead from the Battery Terminal end to it's source. One will go to the alternator and/or starter motor and the other will go to a ground point like the inner fender or Engine Mount. Recheck all the Main Fuses as well to make sure you haven't smoked them.
                        Cheers
                        Geoff
                        Last edited by F22-GURU; 01-05-2006, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GEN46L
                          Sounds like you had a dead cell in the original battery. Even though the alternator was charging OK the battery would not hold any charge once load was applied. It's only natural the car is going to die when you remove the Positive or Negative Terminals as that is the power source for the ECU. Man, you blokes scare me when you say to remove the battery leads while the car is running. That is the worse thing you could do. Doesn't take much to Spike an ECU.
                          I hope you haven't installed the battery the wrong way around and reversed the polarity. Sounds like the probable situation to me. If that's the case you more than likely would have smoked the ECU at the same time.

The Battery Terminal Posts are different sizes. The Positive Post has a LARGER diameter than the NEGATIVE Post. Never rely on the colour of the Battery Terminals or Covers alone. The easiest way to find out what lead is what is to follow the lead from the Battery Terminal end to it's source. One will go to the alternator and/or starter motor and the other will go to a ground point like the inner fender or Engine Mount. Recheck all the Main Fuses as well to make sure you haven't smoked them.
                          Cheers
                          Geoff
                          hrm thats odd... it seems almost like routine to check the alternator that way. Remove the + terminal while the car is on and if it dies it has to do with that. I've done this to troubleshoot in other cars without problems... Thanks for the help but the battery i bought in replacement was exactly the same model, same shape, same everything. Also when u buy a battery from a place like advanced auto or so.. the positive terminal is always insulated with some sort of covering.

My Website!

Comment

hrm thats odd... it seems almost like routine to check the alternator that way. Remove the + terminal while the car is on and if it dies it has to do with that. I've done this to troubleshoot in other cars without problems... Thanks for the help but the battery i bought in replacement was exactly the same model, same shape, same everything. Also when u buy a battery from a place like advanced auto or so.. the positive terminal is always insulated with some sort of covering.
                            Like I said, you are the blokes that scare me. Who taught you this method?
                            Haven't you ever heard of a Multi-Meter or a Battery Load Tester??

Comment

hmm thats odd a spike on the ecu your not bosoted bro so stop worrying its as simple as turning your car off and on everyday . I hope you dont leave your car on everyday do you will it spike if you turn the key off while its in the ignition no. This checking of the altenator can tell if the altenator is good when the car cuts off if its bad its cuts off simple as starting yoru car and shutting it off everyday. Another sign of a bad altenator will lead to the draining of the battery because its not charging as someone mentioned in this previous post i forgot to mention. They work hand and hand. tallyho mynigg

Comment

Working...
                              X