Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

B20 vs F22 Turbo Manifold Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B20 vs F22 Turbo Manifold Help!

I have access to a b20 turbo kit new for a good price
    is there a way to mount the b20 turbo on a f22 manifold
    aside from welding your own f22 manifold to a b series bracket that will bolt up??

thanks

^^MRT^^
    THIRD EYE FISH

Aside from re-flangeing it, no it will not fit. Depending on what kind of mannifold the kit is coming with you may not even be able to reflange it anyway. Why not just sell the b series mannifold and buy an f? the b series will sell easily. And since the kit is for a b series you will more than likely have to modify the down pipe as well.
    ODBWeldingWerks
    Team Kindred Impulse Jax FL

Comment

I think the OP is under the assumption that the turbo itself is for the B series...

Turbos are not engine specific. However, the size does matter, and a turbo for a 2.0L engine is often far too small for a 2.2L engine... Find out the specs of the turbo (A/R, compressor wheel size, brand...) and we can help. There are F22 manifolds available for most common turbo types. Most of the turbos floating around are Garrett or Mitsubishi... with the occasional IHI.

However, if this is a small turbo, it will only blowtorch your engine. If you can get the kit cheap, grab it, resell it for a profit, and use the money to buy a proper setup for your car. Turbo isn't something to mess with unless you a) know what you're doing, or b) can afford to blow up an engine or two...

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        I think the OP is under the assumption that the turbo itself is for the B series...

Turbos are not engine specific. However, the size does matter, and a turbo for a 2.0L engine is often far too small for a 2.2L engine... Find out the specs of the turbo (A/R, compressor wheel size, brand...) and we can help. There are F22 manifolds available for most common turbo types. Most of the turbos floating around are Garrett or Mitsubishi... with the occasional IHI.

However, if this is a small turbo, it will only blowtorch your engine. If you can get the kit cheap, grab it, resell it for a profit, and use the money to buy a proper setup for your car. Turbo isn't something to mess with unless you a) know what you're doing, or b) can afford to blow up an engine or two...
        thanks to both of you for your responces. Deev Your right about my question
        I was refering to the turbo being engine specific and if it's flange was adaptor or custom manifold friendly. It's for a 2.0 and I believe it's Garrett.
        I think I will just go with a 2.2 specific setup and skip the headaches

^^MRT^^
        THIRD EYE FISH

Comment

Well, there is no real "specific" setup... The turbo size is what matters. Without that, you don't know what you're getting.

My advice... look through the Members Rides section for turbo cars. The ones that know what they're doing should be obvious (the list of the top 10 most powerful cars on the site should help you to find them). Look at their setups, and learn what size turbos they're using. Look at what they have done, find someone that has achieved results that you'd like for yourself, and use them as a model. Learn about turbos, and all that is involved... Don't start buying parts until you know what your goals are, and how you plan to achieve them.

I suggest getting 2 books: Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima, and Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Read those books, and you'll have a VERY good start.

Comment

I'll pick those up. Thanks again, nothings been more helpful to me in my cb ventures than the postings on this site, everything I miss I can find here, very helpful! I'm intrigued by boost performance and the idea of a f22 at 300+hp so I'll definately look into those books, local chapters maybe.

^^MRT^^
            THIRD EYE FISH

Comment

Hell, if done VERY carefully... 300hp can be done on a stock-block F22. It won't last all that long, but it can be done!

Comment

Originally posted by doseonekmc View Post
                It's for a 2.0 and I believe it's Garrett.
                I think I will just go with a 2.2 specific setup and skip the headaches
                Be cautious when selecting the turbo.
                For example, the DSM 14B turbo was fitted to the 2.0L 4G63 Mitsi.
                But it really is well undersized for the F22, and even the 4G63 for that matter.

Turbo sizes shouldn't be rated on engine capacity anyway.
                Moreso you should be looking at the capable HP numbers / flow, and compressor maps.

As Deev said, those books will give you a wealth of knowledge, and looking through the Top 10 (actually 20) in the Forced induction section will give you an idea of what is involved in having anything from a basic DSM setup or an all out built setup.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I've seen a few blocks on here sleeved when boosted, why have the cylinders sleeved unless to repair, is it just to thicken?

^^MRT^^
                  THIRD EYE FISH

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                    Be cautious when selecting the turbo.
                    For example, the DSM 14B turbo was fitted to the 2.0L 4G63 Mitsi.
                    But it really is well undersized for the F22, and even the 4G63 for that matter.

Turbo sizes shouldn't be rated on engine capacity anyway.
                    Moreso you should be looking at the capable HP numbers / flow, and compressor maps.

As Deev said, those books will give you a wealth of knowledge, and looking through the Top 10 (actually 20) in the Forced induction section will give you an idea of what is involved in having anything from a basic DSM setup or an all out built setup.
                    Actually its the 4G63-t to be exact :P

Rip It Up
                    Sold to: nightime25, MyDianaz06, Accord214 and 408cb7

Bought from:Rob_is_Legend, MonoCB7, Fatboy1185, Flatline and busak87

i vouch for my Brothas

Comment

Originally posted by doseonekmc View Post
                      I've seen a few blocks on here sleeved when boosted, why have the cylinders sleeved unless to repair, is it just to thicken?
                      Its usually so you can safely use an oversize piston.
                      Some of those people with sleeves have also done it simply for the extra reliability.
                      Knowing that they will safely be able to push further, knowing that the sleeves won't be an issue.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

It's just the 4G63. The "t" isn't part of the engine code. Just used by enthusiasts to designate which engine they are referring to.

Anyway, the same 2.0L (well, a variant of it) found in the Evo 3 has the "big" 16G, which is a good size for a mild F22 build. It's small for anything crazy, but it'll make 250-300whp without turning the motor into a timebomb (well, within reason...)
                        Like the little 14b, that "big" 16G is also mated to a 2.0L, which is why it is important to learn the specs of the turbo itself. Just because it's on a 2.0L doesn't mean it's going to be too small. However, if it's cheap, it's most likely going to be small. Small turbos are cheap because nobody wants them!

And yes, the stock sleeves aren't as strong as aftermarket sleeves. They're still pretty strong, but they're more likely to crack under high boost than a good sleeve from Darton or Golden Eagle.

Comment

Originally posted by Extacee View Post
                          Actually its the 4G63-t to be exact :P
                          Your lucky I didn't simply call it a VR4 (the only car we received that was 4G63-T)

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          Anyway, the same 2.0L (well, a variant of it) found in the Evo 3 has the "big" 16G, which is a good size for a mild F22 build. It's small for anything crazy, but it'll make 250-300whp without turning the motor into a timebomb (well, within reason...)
                          True the big 16G is good for a mild build, even though it is rated around 550hp.
                          However in order to achieve 550hp you will be pushing high Psi numbers (around 18-20psi)
                          That is where compressor maps will help you discover the flow/psi relationship.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

Working...
                          X