exhaust blowing white smoke, in my fx35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust blowing white smoke, in my fx35

hey guys, i need help in finding out, what could it be, tried different mechanics but different answers, they say its coz my aftermarket testpipes, its gone bad or coz i didnt install the defoulers on the o2 sensors, pcv valve etc.. but couldnt find a solution.
    i have 2004 infiniti fx35, i just installed megan testpipes, after a wk or so i started to see steam smoke coming out of vehicle after the car has been running. then after driving around then the CEL pops. i got the ligt checked out and read code p0420 shows up. i checked all fluids, raidiator(green and bright and full), aintifreeze reservoir untouched, oil was a lil dirty(not fully bad). so i had it oil changed, then it started to smoke alot, mechanic told me its burning oil. we checked everywhere for leaks and he also played around with the engine oil cap(opening and closing it,, i guess to hear any leaks?) but nothing, he said it could be the testpipes that are bad.

i also replaced the spark plugs, the mechanic said they didnt find any leaks there and i saw the old spark plugs, all of them were dry.

1)i think the testpipes might have gone bad because of the smoke, thats why it threw out the CEL and code P0420. so i think the steam/smoke/ more blueish (they say) that made the CEL come on. but what made the smoke come out? when i start for the first time, no smoke, but after running for a long time then u steam when idling then puff of smoke if i rev up.?

2)should i check out the pcv? cause in some that ive read, the pcv valve could also be letting oil in the intake? possible? and how to check on that? symptoms?

3)and some say the smoke is because i didnt install the defoulers by the o2 sensors?

and how come when i check the oil dip stick its not showing accurately, its showing past the high mark, i had the car running for a while then turned off the car then i checked? my mechanic and some ppl that tried to check that with me said it may be overfill in oil.

thanks
    Signature changed due to excessive size

Simply replacing the catalytic convertor with a test pipe will not make your car start burning oil. I wouldn't take my car back to anyone that suggested that as an option.

1 - Test pipes are only that: pipes. The only way they can go bad is to develop a hole or get smashed. There's nothing inside them to go bad. I wouldn't let this person near my car again.

2 - You could need to replace the PCV valve. Disconnect the hose coming from the valve to the intake and see if it's oily inside. A little is normal, if it drips out, not so normal.

3 - Not using the defoulers could cause you to blow bluish-grey fuel rich smoke. It will also cause your much more expensive O2 sensor to become fouled, causing it to throw a code and making the car run at less than optimum levels.

4 - Having too much oil could; it get's thrashed around when there's too much, foams up and you could be getting excess oil in the combustion chamber. What makes you think the dipstick is inaccurate and not the amount of oil that was put into the car?

My guess is a combination of factors. If you address these issues and it still smokes, then you'll want to do a compression test and maybe a leakdown test to check for bad rings or valves, but I don't think that's the issue. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by visualpoet View Post
      Simply replacing the catalytic convertor with a test pipe will not make your car start burning oil. I wouldn't take my car back to anyone that suggested that as an option.

1 - Test pipes are only that: pipes. The only way they can go bad is to develop a hole or get smashed. There's nothing inside them to go bad. I wouldn't let this person near my car again.

2 - You could need to replace the PCV valve. Disconnect the hose coming from the valve to the intake and see if it's oily inside. A little is normal, if it drips out, not so normal.

3 - Not using the defoulers could cause you to blow bluish-grey fuel rich smoke. It will also cause your much more expensive O2 sensor to become fouled, causing it to throw a code and making the car run at less than optimum levels.

4 - Having too much oil could; it get's thrashed around when there's too much, foams up and you could be getting excess oil in the combustion chamber. What makes you think the dipstick is inaccurate and not the amount of oil that was put into the car?

My guess is a combination of factors. If you address these issues and it still smokes, then you'll want to do a compression test and maybe a leakdown test to check for bad rings or valves, but I don't think that's the issue. Good luck!

the mechanic visually checked all the fluids and listened for any weird noises or hissing around engine bay, testdrove the car and found no signs of loss of power and no rough idling at any gears. he then said it maybe the testpipes or just install the defoulers first and see if they need to replace the testpipes. but he insists that i should go to stock coz he said no need to mess with these kind of cars. and the car runs good it only has 82k.

Comment

why would you take the cats off an fx35? or why would you even buy one to begin with?
        COUPE K24

Comment

The P0420 code is because you have test pipes with no defoulers. It indicates your catalytic converter has failed, but you have removed it. White smoke usually means coolant. Do you get a sweet smell? Does your coolant level appear to be low?

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
            why would you take the cats off an fx35? or why would you even buy one to begin with?
            i kno,i so regret it.smh, but this kid i know wanted to trade this testpipes for my stock thats why i went for it smfh. i should have never trusted that kid.smh

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord View Post
            The P0420 code is because you have test pipes with no defoulers. It indicates your catalytic converter has failed, but you have removed it. White smoke usually means coolant. Do you get a sweet smell? Does your coolant level appear to be low?
            all fluids are good. temp stays normal. def not coolant leak, smells more gas tho but looks blueish, my other mechanic said its mostly gas than oil smell. so idk smh

Comment

Well the cat convertors soak up all that gas old car smell, thats their job is to clean the exhaust of all the excess HC's. So I would say this is normal.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                Well the cat convertors soak up all that gas old car smell, thats their job is to clean the exhaust of all the excess HC's. So I would say this is normal.
                i noticed only when idling on a downhill type road, but all day today i had the ac on 70degrees, no weird noise, no rough idling, no loss of power, runs normal and quiet.

Comment

I think Nissan/Infiniti had a recall on certain VQ35 engines. My friends 06' 350Z had oil consumption issues after 16k miles and Nissan replaced his engine for free at the dealer.

member's ride thread
                  93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                  99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                  91 Accord SE 176k
                  97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

well since you said you got white smoke coming out, its not a oil problem, its a coolant problem.
                    miss my turbo cb7
                    moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Working...
                    X